LumberJacks Logo

Vicious

Decided to follow one of Davidson's tutorials for a lumberjack logo I have been wanting to do.

Here is the link to the video I used for the tut:

As you can see, I didn't really stray too far away from the video, but I tried to add a little more to it.

All cnc is welcome.

Picture7-1.png

Thanks,

Vicious

Picture21.png

The back of the neck, where it meets the hat, doesn't make any sense. Bring the neck in so it's underneath the edge of the hat. I'm not sure about the toothpick either. Maybe try thickening it a bit. Other than that, nice job.

spacer.png

Fixed the back of the head, and the toothpick.

Brave Bird: Yes, it is a lumberjack, and it is okay. He sleeps all night and he works all day. lol. and yes, it is agency bold. (ive been on an agency kick lately, dont know why).

Here it is revised:

Picture10-1.png

Vicious

Picture21.png

I think it looks awesome. The facial features are all nicely done. I think you need to color the hair in with black. It will really make the toque stand out more. You should also continue the black outline up the back of the neck to finish it off. The toque could use a little refining as well. Really nicely done all around.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

Yes Sir: I threw the toothpick in there to add another element to the logo. When I think a toothpick is kind of rugged in a way ( as odd as that sounds. I kinda think of Razor Ramone ). Also, It may be a stretch, but a toothpick is nothing but a splinter of wood, so it kind of ties into that lumberjack theme. Do you think it is unnecessary? I thought it was kind of neat.

Anyways, here's an update:

Picture11-3.png

cnc,

Vicious

Picture21.png

I think there's too much contrast with the highlights and make it so that there is no true focal point. The eye doesn't know where to look.

I think black hair would really help, as well as some refining in the nose/mustache area. He could use some sideburns to connect his beard to the hair as well.

The toothpick as you have it really doesn't work. It's far too small in relation to the bold strokes throughout the rest of the logo.

The lines in the cuff of the toque could use a little work too. I would contour them to match the curve of the head.

Sorry for the disjointed CnC, hope it helps!

Badger_zps8961c467.png

This has a lot of potential and it's a good start.

However, he could use more of a forehead and his hair should start higher up on the forehead.

The stocking cap/toque is also too small. Right now he looks like one of those monks that shaves the dome of his head since the size you have here is only big enough for a regular head that is not wearing a cap. The cap should extend farther up and back.

On your updates, the neck is an improvement but the highlights dont add anything. I think it was better without highlights.

It's a decent logo on its own, but I think it's really tough when using a tutorial such as Davidson's to branch out into your own style. When you watch the tutorials, you can gain all you need to know from replicating the actual process that davidson uses, but here you've totally replicated the style as well. It just looks like a davidson knockoff.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

You need to work on the highlights, they dont follow logic. At the top of the head the light source seems to be high and from the left, but somehow the underside of the nose and the top lip are also highlighted, and neither of these areas would have highlights under those circumstances. The line thicknesses also vary drastically, you have strong blod lines to the front where you've clearly been following the tutorial then the hat and everything to the back of the head that you've done where you appear less confident the line thicknesses get lighter and lighter, take for example the crown and fold of the cuff on the hat, they are about a third the thickness of the outline on the forehead and nose. Varying lineweights is important and useful but that's way to big a difference.

The text is pretty unispired to be honest, there's nothing about it that when seen in isolation says Lumberjack, and there is nothing unique about it, anyone could recreate it by getting their hands on the font and just typing it out. Logotypes need to be just as unique and diffcult to knockoff as primary marks do, but with that said I'd tighten up the character first then look at improving the text.

I have to echo what Andrew said with regards how closely you followed Davidson's tutorial, it would have been nicer to see you find another form of reference and just use Davidsons technique to produce the logo but if it's the first time you've tried a profile head like this I can understand why you might have been so faith ful to the video, but do try and push yourself to find your own references and style in future.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Archived