SFGiants58's Concepts

SFGiants58

On both the home and road, you should make the bottom half of each 'C' white. It's supposed to be ice to begin with, and it'd help balance out the logo, I think.

Also, maybe consider changing some stripe thicknesses on the jerseys, because it just doesn't look right with equal amounts of red and yellow. I'd cut out as much yellow as possible, or possibly all of it. Especially on the black jersey, it'd be a good idea to pick between white and yellow. If it was a black jersey with lots of red, and yellow just dividing up the blocks of red and black, I think it'd look much sharper.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neo-Retro #4- Houston Rockets

Well, this is as back-to-basics as it comes. In between the hilariously awful cartoon unis and the bland "funny fonts and over-striping is cool" currents, the only redeemable identity is the 1972-1995 set. Why not? It's got classic colors (red and yellow), classy script logos, and a "simpler-is-better" aesthetic. Of course, I've slightly modernized the logo and uniform design (much like what has happened with the Sixers and the Jazz), but I feel the result harkens back to a great identity that was destroyed in the cartoon logo epidemic of the 1990's. So, let's get down to business.

Primary Logo

6240067842_93e336d6a9_b.jpg

Some people have already seen this concept in the "upgrade/downgrade" topic about the Rockets, but I'll restate the basic idea. It's essentially an update of the classic logo with elements that actually incorporated the idea of Houston (skyline) and Rockets (Rocket from the cartoon logo, isolated and put in classic colors). This produces a more interesting logo than the logo from that era, and is more than a simple workmark like the current logo.

Uniforms and Wordmarks

6303881835_5526a46379_b.jpg

The uniforms are basically a modernization of the championship-era uniforms, with yellow outline on the scripts and newer striping. I've also gone back to a classic block font and added a yellow alternate.

Neo-Retro Part 1 is done, so next up: a "what could have been" series.

Not bad. Nice skyline, it's kinda like the Sonics old logo, but the main issue with Houston is that it doesn't really have a recognizable skyline like Seattle. Good idea bringing back a rocket. Pretty well done overall.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Not bad. Nice skyline, it's kinda like the Sonics old logo, but the main issue with Houston is that it doesn't really have a recognizable skyline like Seattle. Good idea bringing back a rocket. Pretty well done overall.

Thanks, I love that old Sonics logo. I didn't have it mind exactly when I made this logo, but I do think the whole "basketball lines over a skyline" template works well for any team in a city with a distinct skyline or building. Unfortunately, Houston has neither of these things (no offense to people who live in Houston, it's a cool city). Then again, anything is better than just a wordmark.

What Could Have Been #1: San Francisco 49ers (One Day Uniforms)

I think this one requires a little back-story. When Carmen Policy became president of the 49ers in 1991, a new logo and helmet design was proposed, and can be seen here. Needless to say, it was not well-received. It was so not well-received that the 49ers front office switched the logos back within 24 hours of the unveiling (if only that happened to the Miami Marlins). No pictures exist of what the full "one-day" set would have looked like, so I have done some guesswork based on the 1996-2008 49ers uniforms and the style of the one-day logo (which inspired the Sacramento Kings font usage), and I've come up with this:

6313541879_1b2e80bcae_b.jpg

Needless to say, the results would've been absolute feces. With an ugly number font and drop shadow, red face masks, and poor striping, the 49ers would've been the laughingstock of the early-90's NFL (a time with mostly crazy-free uniforms). I love the current 49ers uniforms, and I think that the Montana-era look never should have been changed to the 96-08 look, or the "one-day".

Next up, the San Antonio "FIESTA!" Spurs.

What Could Have Been #2: San Antonio Spurs (¡Fiesta!)

Well, this an ugly possibility. When the Spurs created the "Fiesta" primary logo, they thankfully did not let those hideous colors spread to the uniforms. Well, this is my best guess as to what would've happened if the Spurs had the "Fiesta" uniforms.

6316102213_7aab6e464c_b.jpg

Well, with teal striping on the front and orange on the back, the results would've been an absolute cluster-bleep. Also, I've created what a potential third uniform could have looked like, based off of the team's warm-up jackets from the period

. Also, I've used the old Wizards number font (because nothing screams 90's like the Wizards' old number font). Quite frankly, these things are a monstrosity, and I'm quite pleased that San Antonio never played in these literal duds.

Now that the Spurs have been "¡Fiesta-ed!", the 1977 "Denver Rockies".

What Could Have Been #3: Colorado Denver Rockies (1977 Expansion)

Throwing this idea out there, but what if the Rockies had been part of the 1977 AL expansion as opposed to Toronto or Seattle? I do warn you, however, this concept is the love child of the "rainbow" Nuggets and the "Tequilla Sunrise" Astros. So, here we go!

Primary Logo

6320629678_d807170bda_b.jpg

The old Denver Nuggets logo, with script written in a bold Futura font (Futura was a "hip" font at the time).

Uniforms

6320629980_084ef86f08_b.jpg

If the same stoners that designed the Nuggets and the NHL Rockies made a baseball team, I'm pretty sure the result would've been like this. The Denver Nuggets-esque mountain-on-rainbow pattern, the "hip" basic font, nameplates, and multicolored stirrups all present an image of WTF that could have been reality. Fortunately, the MLB decided that Toronto and Seattle were bigger markets than Denver, so we have the classic Blue Jays designs (created by a Toronto-based company, if I recall) and the slightly peculiar but still impressive Mariners uniforms.

Up next, the "Tampa Bay" Giants.

BleedingEye.png

Again, I love the execution. The interlocking "DR" looks awesome too. Nice job.

Thanks. Fun fact, it's really easy to make a 1970's pullover out of BMac's template. Just draw a shape over the belt area, delete the buttons, color the piping the same color as the rest of the uniform, and there you go, a pullover w/ beltless pants!

What Could Have Been #4: Tampa Bay Giants- MLB

Now this one hits a little too close to home. Let's go back to 1992, when Bob Lurie, the owner of the San Francisco Giants, tried to sell the team to a group of investors in St. Petersburg, Florida. The group wanted to move the team to Tampa Bay, and the deal was about 90% inked when the Dodgers' owner voted against the sale. After convincing the rest of the owners to move against the Tampa Bay sale, the deal was scrapped and the Giants were sold to Peter McGowan's group (which signed Barry Bonds and built AT&T Park). As a native of the Bay Area, I am quite pleased that the deal did not go through and that the City still has the team it has had since 1958. Besides, if a Tampa move had happened, they would be going to (dun dun dunnnnnnnn) THE TROP, and we'd be hearing relocation talks by now. In this video, the concepts for a "Tampa Bay Giants" design appear around 5:07. While I was unable to recreate something that resembled the "Tampa Bay" script used, I was able to make something similar to the Giants 83-93 branding that fit in Tampa Bay. So, let's see what this "nightmare" might have resembled:

6327622598_844eea61aa_b.jpg

OK, I made some of the concept look nice. The home uniform is identical to the 83-93 (with Impact substituting as the number font). The road contains the "TB" logo in the same way the 83-93 road does and the home alt is a throwback to the old flannels (with the old Nets number font). I've also made a black softball top, as those were kind of the "in-thing" to do in the early-90's. :censored:ty idea on Lurie's part, but I think they would have looked aesthetically pleasing in Tampa Bay. Now, if only the Rays could find a way out of the Tropicana Mausoleum...

Next... What if the Giants and Dodgers never left New York and Brooklyn?

P.S. I forgot to recolor the cleats from the Philly concept... oops.

I heard of the White Sox potential move to Tampa, but this is the first I've ever heard of the Giants doing so. Thanks for the "insider info"!

Some screen shots from that video:

ScreenShot2011-11-10at015250AM.pngScreenShot2011-11-10at015329AM.pngScreenShot2011-11-10at015600AM-1.png

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

What Could Have Been #4: New York Giants/Brooklyn Dodgers- MLB

Well, this will be final entry in the "What could have been" theme for a while, so I decided to end the first part of this series with a bang. What if the Giants and Dodgers never broke the hearts of their fans by leaving the Big Apple, and what if they were still there today?

Primary Logos

6330002109_747c0600d8_z.jpg

6330015935_045da2d931_z.jpg

The Giants logo is a combination of the Mets' logo and the Giants logo from 1947-1976 (couldn't resist wondering if the Giants would've commissioned Ray Gatto to design a logo); and the Dodgers use a modified version of my old LA Dodgers logo (with new logo and less powder blue).

Cap Logos

6330002311_0063b0495f_z.jpg

6330002321_85a9d7b124_z.jpg

The Giants logo is the 1947-57 logo, and the Dodgers one is from a Brooklyn Cyclones "extraction" I found in the "fake" cap logo's comment section on the Mothership.

Uniforms

6330754960_d9b9dcd030_b.jpg

Pretty much what the Giants have now, but with the old "Giants" script logo on the home and a black alt with the 1987 Mets' "New York" script logo (looks similar to the orange alt script, and I've been waiting to use it for a while). Also, no gold drop shadow on anything.

6330754896_b866638b9d_b.jpg

Basically, a slightly updated version of the 1955 look. There's white outline on the road, a cream 1947 throwback, and the powder blue road alt from 1937.

Now that "What Could Have Been: Part 1" is over, I'd like to show off some logos I made for my high school.

Archived