SFGiants58's Concepts

SFGiants58

Hi there, this is my first concept thread. Instead of focusing my concepts on one team or one league, I'd rather make my concepts of multiple teams in multiple leagues. I'm just starting out with Inkscape, so my work is a bit crude.

Here's my list of completed concepts:

BAY AREA

San Francisco Giants: This post.

Oakland Athletics

Golden StateSan Francisco Warriors

San Francisco 49ers and Oakland Raiders

San Jose Sharks

NL WEST

Los Angeles Dodgers

Arizona Diamondbacks

Colorado Rockies

San Diego Padres

NEO-RETRO

Philadelphia Phillies

Portland Trailblazers

Vancouver Canucks

Houston Rockets

WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN: PART 1

"One Day" San Francisco 49ers

"Fiesta" San Antonio Spurs

1977 AL Expansion Colorado Denver Rockies

Tampa Bay Giants

New York Giants/Brooklyn Dodgers

RANDOM

Los Angeles Anaheim California Angels of Anaheim

Pacific Coast League Alternates

Anyway, first up are the Major League Bay Area teams (MLB, NFL, NBA, etc.)

1. San Francisco Giants - MLB

This one isn't so much of a complete redesign as a tweaking, namely the removal of the gold drop shadow and a new primary.

Primary:

6090188406_9dacf6afb3_z.jpg

I like the old 60's and 70's primary logos quite a bit, so I simply updated them with modern team colors, outlined text, and the Golden Gate Bridge in tribute to the old "The City" Warriors logo(I usually don't like to put landmarks into logos, but seeing as how the Golden Gate Bridge was completed before the Giants arrived, I thought it fit pretty well).

Alternate:

6090188346_402eed310e_z.jpg

It's the same as the current alternate, w/o any gold.

Uniforms

6090248242_9498f11b7c_b.jpg

Similar to what they have now, just without gold drop shadow, new script logo on the orange alternate (w/ front number), and a new black alternate based on the 80's road uniform.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. It doesn't seem right to use such a distinctive script for the primary logo, yet use another also distinctive type for the primary jersey. Each wordmark is indicitive of a different era, and IMO they clash when used together. Having a basic block SAN FRANSISCO road is fine though.

2. Your sleeve patches are way crooked.

3. The number on your road alt is pretty low. I know a couple of teams do this, but is it really a good design? Might want to keep it truer to the '80s road and ditch it.

4. The patch on the road alt is in a non-standard place. Patches go on the left sleeve unless there's a good reason to move them. Not entirely sure why, and it's certainly not a rule, but it's "just that way".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Thanks. To address your point BringBackTheVet, the Giants used both the "cursive" script and a thinner version of the modern script in the 60's, so I figured it would be appropriate to go back to that, but I do see how it could clash a bit.

EDIT: I've tweaked the patches and the road alt.

6090677064_2fab092bda_b.jpg

2. Oakland Athletics - MLB

The basic idea behind this concept was to restore a large part of the 80's identity, while fusing it with more modern elements.

Primary Logo:

6104776810_7306699e55_z.jpg

Based on the current primary, I simply restored the 1987 color scheme and added the 80's cap logo (w/ yellow outline).

Secondary:

6104776926_9556fd5aa6_z.jpg

The same as the current elephant logo, but with 1987 colors and a more modern "A's" insignia as opposed to the poorly recreated Philadelphia insignia.

Cap:

6104776942_63dcf60e64_z.jpg

The 1987 "A's" insignia, with a yellow outline.

Uniforms:

6104776904_d52c095250_b.jpg

The 1987-1992 script logos have been restored, as well as the sleeve striping from the early 80's. The green alternate now has "Oakland" text instead of "Athletics", since it has been relegated to a road alt, and the gold alt now has a number on the front from the 1972 uniforms. Unfortunately, I couldn't duplicate the double piping on the gold, but I would still have it.

Golden State San Francisco Warriors - NBA

Having grown up in the Bay Area, I could never get why the Warriors were named the "Golden State Warriors" when they were clearly not the only team in California. The Warriors fan base is primarily San Francisco/The Peninsula/South Bay, so it seems more fitting that the team bear their old "San Francisco" identity instead of "Golden State" or "Oakland". While it may seem odd for a San Francisco team to play in Oakland, if two New York City football teams can based in New Jersey, a San Francisco team playing in Oakland isn't much of a stretch. Now that I'm done blabbering on about team identity, let's get to the logos.

Basically the idea was to fuse the current team identity with the early-1970's identity, with several updates.

Primary Logo:

6107297527_c22d023bf7_z.jpg

Using a Golden Gate Bridge vector logo from here and the current seal in 1975 colors, the new primary is meant to be a fusion of the current primary and the old "The City" logo.

Alternate Logo:

6107823432_15afff1c36_z.jpg

This is Weatherman's high-res cable car logo, with my new "SF" insignia.

Uniforms:

Home:

6107893836_55fd749490_z.jpg

An slightly modified version of the current uniforms, with new script logos and simplified striping.

Road:

6107275807_d829b42f23_z.jpg

I remade the "The City" script logo in the current Warriors font (Copperplate Gothic Bold), and replaced the current blue with the 1975 blue.

Fauxback Alternate:

6107893866_3803fcde68_z.jpg

An update of the 1970's home uniform, which is still my favorite uniform in team history.

Well, off to football?

4. San Francisco 49ers- NFL

Basically, this is a slight update of the 1981 uniforms, with some more modern bits.

Primary:

6114735761_7a1c77e3f7_z.jpg

The Montana-era logo, with a gold outline.

Alternate:

6114735751_349b9959a5_z.jpg

A 1970's alternate logo, with an outline on the "SF" logo.

Uniforms:

6115275662_1f6037d6ba_b.jpg

A recreation of the Montana-era uniforms, with gold outline on the numbers, striping from the late 60's-early 70's, and the 1981 helmet striping.

5. Oakland Raiders- NFL

Uniforms: Can't change the classics (that much).

6117992268_dbfb4afd3b_b.jpg

Wow! I'm digging that Warriors concept. Classy.

As for the Raiders and Niners, I think they're both major downgrades. The 49ers don't look good with the pit stains or outlined numbers, and the Raiders are just really, really bland. The numbers need outlines and the helmet needs something, too.

25yzwqg.png

Hi there, this is my first concept thread. Instead of focusing my concepts on one team or one league, I'd rather make my concepts of multiple teams in multiple leagues. I'm just starting out with Inkscape, so my work is a bit crude.

Anyway, first up are the Major League Bay Area teams (MLB, NFL, NBA, etc.)

1. San Francisco Giants - MLB

This one isn't so much of a complete redesign as a tweaking, namely the removal of the gold drop shadow and a new primary.

Primary:

6090188406_9dacf6afb3_z.jpg

I like the old 60's and 70's primary logos quite a bit, so I simply updated them with modern team colors, outlined text, and the Golden Gate Bridge in tribute to the old "The City" Warriors logo(I usually don't like to put landmarks into logos, but seeing as how the Golden Gate Bridge was completed before the Giants arrived, I thought it fit pretty well).

Alternate:

6090188346_402eed310e_z.jpg

It's the same as the current alternate, w/o any gold.

Uniforms

6090248242_9498f11b7c_b.jpg

Similar to what they have now, just without gold drop shadow, new script logo on the orange alternate (w/ front number), and a new black alternate based on the 80's road uniform.

The primary logo has a crisp, clear look and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the concept a big boost.

Then I told that teacher lady the only three letters I need to know are U, S, and A.

Thanks for the feedback. Now, what I hope are the final football uniforms:

6126395998_6fd8fe84c9_b.jpg

6125849371_43ef67fa35_b.jpg

49er's don't have pitstains, helmet stripes go all the way down, and the Raiders now have, in incredibly small font, "Commitment to excellence" written on the back of the helmet stripe.

I hope to get the Sharks up in the next few days.

Those Giants and Athletics concepts are nice. I love the logo. it really emphasizes "Giant" well. The unis are consistent, clean, and pretty darn near perfect. My only gripe is, like others have said, having a patch logo on the right sleeve that isn't an anniversary patch or a memorial. It's little unorthodox, especially on a traditional team like the Giants. 10/10

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

6. San Jose Sharks- NHL

I, for one, like the current Sharks identity, but I do feel that there are improvements to be made with it, without changing much of the content.

Primary Logo:

6117458035_76d146bace_z.jpg

An adjustment of the current logo, with a multi-shade background, similar to the "fin" alternate.

Secondary Logo:

sfkxfsvkkklusgk94vgo.gif

The same as the current alternate.

Uniforms

6126826597_ae34959841_b.jpg

A little more burnt orange, a more balanced home/away color shift, and a shoulder panel.

Now that the Bay Area is done, it's off to the NL West!

Archived