SFGiants58's Concepts

SFGiants58

-I disagree with the California name (you can't just be the state's team while there are 4 other California teams in MLB, and another one in the league), but you've already explained that, and it's not a big part of the concept, anyways.

-The numbers on the front are too big and distract from the team/city name.

-The road alt. cap logo is a tad too big IMO

-The "Angels" in the California silhouette doesn't work well as a shoulder part here

-The "A" in "Angels" on the road alt. looks odd around the centre if you know what I mean

-From the back, the home alt. looks like the BoSox

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-The Blue "A" is gorgeous

-With the exceptions of what I pointed out, the home and home alt. are both stunning

All in all very good work, not just on the concept, but on the series.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you. I don't think it's my best work, but I do feel strongly about a neo-retro update for the Angels. Speaking of neo-retro, after the NL West and the PCL alts, I will be starting a neo-retro series covering the NBA, MLB, and NHL (NFL maybe, just gotta get helmet stripes right). A concept list will be posted soon, but I can tell you the first 3 concepts:

1. Philadelphia Phillies

2. Portland Trail Blazers

3. Vancouver Canucks

NL West #4- San Diego Padres

Now, the Padres' identity has been controversial. So, I decided to make a compromise of different eras. The color scheme is from the 1985-1990 set, the "Padres" script logo from the 2004-2011 set, and the cap logo from the 1990-2003 set. I know that seems like a lot of different styles, but I feel that they work together in ways which the individual sets themselves cannot.

Primary Logo:

6201786063_6753e31027_b.jpg

Similar to the current logo, except in the old color scheme, cleaner outlines, new "San Diego" script, and the swingin' friar (dear God, I love that monk).

Cap Logo:

6201804867_51b9ff2c70_b.jpg

The interlocking 1990-2003 logo on the 1985 cap.

Uniforms:

6202298812_bf6b0e599a_b.jpg

The home uniform is a recreation of the late 90's home uniform (adjusted to 1985 colors) with the modern script, the road is a non-pinstriped version of the 1985 road (using the cap logo because no "San Diego" script I could use was that good), the alt is the modern alt, with number on the front and in the 1985 colors, and the other alt is a PCL throwback to be used with other NL and AL West PCL thowbacks, which will also be released soon.

Brown and orange are two of the best, yet most underused colours out there. I have long believed that they are the best colour scheme. It has a nice contrast and "cool" feel. I'll never understand why they ditched it. Their current homes are way too Brewers. But this concept is absolutely stunning. The home and home alt especially. I would buy that hat, even that jersey even though I'm not a fan of the Pardes. This and your D-Backs concept are two of the bet concepts I have even seen. Keep up the great work.

EDIT: Now that Fox brought it up, I agree that the friar should be brown/yellow. Burgundy looks too out of place with the rest of the set.

This is a fantastic concept! Very, very well done, like the rest of your work. I look forward to seeing more.

The only part I don't like is the logo. I don't like the San Diego wordmark within the logo and I think the friar should be colored brown and orange, but overall it's great

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

That PCL Alternate is a great looking uniform. Brown and orange is a very unique color scheme in baseball. Were the Padres the only team in MLB history besides the Browns to have an orange/brown color scheme?

NL/AL West: The PCL Alternates

6214524210_4de4440f5f_b.jpg

These alternates are meant to correspond only with teams in the current locations or with the same name (hence why the Dodgers are wearing the Stars uniforms). I understand that these uniforms are not entirely accurate, but they're not meant to be, as they are highlighting distinct parts of the current teams' identities. For instance, the Oakland Oaks had only a few uniforms that used green over their long history, but since green is in the A's identity, a pastiche of the 1939 roads and homes gets used. These uniforms would not be used much during the regular season, but on special occasions like Interleague or Spring Training.

• 2 weeks later...

Neo-Retro #1: Philadelphia Phillies-MLB

Ah, the Phillies. I love the identity they had from the 70's to the early 90's, and I like it much more than the current branding that the Phillies have been condemned to wear. So, I have restored the 70's colors, along with the script logos and I have merged them with some of the better elements in the Phillies' current identity. So, let's get down to business.

Primary Logo

6245200888_b74d99cacc_b.jpg

This is a fusion of the 1992 Liberty Bell, the outline of Citizens' Bank Park stadium logo, and a modified version of the 1970's script logo (the P has been replaced by the P that appeared on the uniforms), all in classic colors distributed relative to the current color scheme.

Cap Logo

6245205482_1b9538cdde_b.jpg

Again, 70's colors and the uniform "P" replaces the cap "P"

Uniforms

6244679965_b80698d4e0_b.jpg

The home uniform uses the full script logo, and has maroon pinstripes (a la the inaccurate Majestic 1980 uniforms, which I kind of liked as a modernization, not as a faithful recreation). The road is simply the current road with the new script logo, thicker striping, and a blue-billed cap. The home alternate is a slightly better tribute to the "Whiz Kid" era uniforms than the current set, and the road alternate is a modernized version of the 1980's powder blue uniform.

Neo-Retro #2: Portland Trail Blazers

Now, this one may seem a little odd. The Blazers have had a pretty consistent uniform style since the late 1970's, but over the years, the fonts and coloring have become slightly overdone, with silver, drop shadow, and bland fonts. This set is essentially a modernized version of the 1970's-early 90's uniforms, from the heart of the Clyde Drexler era.

Primary Logo:

6251328808_c6146eddbf_b.jpg

The 1980's primary logo, on the modern "shield" with the mid-90's "5 on 5" logo.

Uniforms and Script Logos:

6199235221_715543681f_b.jpg

Basically, a restoration of the classic uniforms. The script logos are those from the 1980's, with the "Portland" script on the road uniform, and the red alt remains, for both home and road. All drop shadow and silver is removed, as it doesn't work with the 1980's branding. Also, I tried to duplicate the classic number font, but since I couldn't duplicate it, I used the San Francisco Giants number font as the closest match.

• 2 weeks later...

Neo-Retro #3: Vancouver Canucks

This concept is essentially fusing the modern Canucks identity with the "Spaghetti-Plate" design of the 70's-90's. I love the classic color scheme, and I think it serves as a nice alternative to the blue, green and gray of the current Canucks.

Primary:

6251305018_8d12a4b2ce_b.jpg

The current primary, in classic colors and with additional black outlines to mimic the classic script logo.

Uniforms:

6297027606_9918d6f57d_b.jpg

I took the current uniforms, replaced the newer colors with the classic colors, replaced the number and NOB font, and made use of the old "Canucks" script withing the sleeve striping. The alt is a red-yellow-black version of the early-70's Canucks uniforms.

Next up: the final Neo-Retro Concept, the Houston Rockets!

I have loved every one of your concepts, but this one needs a lot of work. There's way too much going on. From the 3 logos to the wordmark on the arm stripes to the odd V-neck. That tone of yellow looks absolutely horrid on a jersey. Also, the third jersey logo is black, yet there's no black anywhere else on the logo.

But.

This can be saved. Do not give up on it.

-I actually think that a black "C" Canuck/Orca thing and the stick-in-the-rink look sick, but there is too much yellow on that Orca logo. Switch the red and yellow. Make red more prominent, and yellow as more of an accent.

-Ditch that wordmark. It's supposed to be a skate blade, and thus only works with a skate.

-Make the road white (NHL regulations and my personal taste).

-Fix up the collar. make it simpler.

-That home jersey is in desperate need of contrast. Add some white (make the numbers white and make part of the stripe outlines white)

-Again, on the alt, work on colour distribution.

Sorry if that sounded harsh. You're one of the best designers on this site in my opinion, so I know you can revive it. Really all it needs is some consistency and simplifying. I actually really like the idea, but the idea is poorly executed.

I have loved every one of your concepts, but this one needs a lot of work. There's way too much going on. From the 3 logos to the wordmark on the arm stripes to the odd V-neck. That tone of yellow looks absolutely horrid on a jersey. Also, the third jersey logo is black, yet there's no black anywhere else on the logo.

But.

This can be saved. Do not give up on it.

-I actually think that a black "C" Canuck/Orca thing and the stick-in-the-rink look sick, but there is too much yellow on that Orca logo. Switch the red and yellow. Make red more prominent, and yellow as more of an accent.

-Ditch that wordmark. It's supposed to be a skate blade, and thus only works with a skate.

-Make the road white (NHL regulations and my personal taste).

-Fix up the collar. make it simpler.

-That home jersey is in desperate need of contrast. Add some white (make the numbers white and make part of the stripe outlines white)

-Again, on the alt, work on colour distribution.

Sorry if that sounded harsh. You're one of the best designers on this site in my opinion, so I know you can revive it. Really all it needs is some consistency and simplifying. I actually really like the idea, but the idea is poorly executed.

You're right Bubba. I've taken your advice and improved the set:

6297371454_bc99067bfc_b.jpg

Thank you, BigBubba.

That looks much better! The only thing I would recommend is to make the "C" on the home jersey white to match the NOB and numbers. This set is much cleaner.

Archived