Texas A&M leaving the Big 12

rvrdgsfn

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kansas, K-State and Missouri would be Big-bound then. At least, I think so.

Hopefully 1 and 3. Not sure about 2.

And speaking as a fan of the Big 10, I don't ever want to see Rutgers to join the Conference. It's not worth it. They don't have the fanbase, are not a cultural fit, and sooner or later the way cable deals are arranged is going to changed to a completely a la carte format-rendering the whole "We must get New York" thing moot.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

And speaking as a fan of the Big 10, I don't ever want to see Rutgers to join the Conference. It's not worth it. They don't have the fanbase, are not a cultural fit, and sooner or later the way cable deals are arranged is going to changed to a completely a la carte format-rendering the whole "We must get New York" thing moot.

Plus, even though it's a metro a region of 10+ million people, New Yorkers don't give a :censored: about college football. It's never going to happen.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Plus, even though it's a metro a region of 10+ million people, New Yorkers don't give a :censored: about college football. It's never going to happen.

Football wise, Schiano is by far the Big East coast with the longest tenure, yet he has failed to capitalized on is best seasons which were 2006-08.

New Yorkers may not care, but the cable stations along with Big Ten/Big XII alumni which can add 10-40 cents more on a cable bill on the basic package may care. BTN carriage means more money which the conference will receive. If the BTN is in an area with a team, it gets more money from cable operators. If one has DirecTV, the share gets larger if you are within a Big Ten media market.

Football wise, Schiano is by far the Big East coast with the longest tenure, yet he has failed to capitalized on is best seasons which were 2006-08.

New Yorkers may not care, but the cable stations along with Big Ten/Big XII alumni which can add 10-40 cents more on a cable bill on the basic package may care. BTN carriage means more money which the conference will receive. If the BTN is in an area with a team, it gets more money from cable operators. If one has DirecTV, the share gets larger if you are within a Big Ten media market.

That's awesome at present, but you missed the point about a la carte TV channel packages. What Big Ten alumni base exists is not nearly as large as the base of locals who would rather not spend money to watch college sports.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That's awesome at present, but you missed the point about a la carte TV channel packages. What Big Ten alumni base exists is not nearly as large as the base of locals who would rather not spend money to watch college sports.

Just remember that BYUtv is in 60 million households and on XM radio with a channel. Cable penetration is just as important than where alumni are. BYU is using its platform to assist the LDS Church.

Schools like Michigan, has had a large out of state Freshman applicant class from New Jersey/New York for decades. 40% of Freshman enrolees are out of state. I was also an out of state enrollee over a decade ago and it means one thing...more money through tuition.

Iowa State in the Big Ten? Hmmm. I like it.

But while we're at it, let's add Missouri, Kansas and Kansas State to the Big Ten and make it 16 teams.

But why stop at 16? Let's go east and get Pitt, West Virginia and Louisville, and steal Kentucky from the SEC.

Then they could name the conference The Big Ten Plus Ten.

In terms of current BCS schools who are least desirable, Iowa State tops the list. IA State may bring two things: volleyball and wrestling. What do they, as well as Kansas State really have to offer even academically?

As the SEC is not going away, then Vanderbilt will remain there to build up conference APR.

How would you feel about adding Syracuse? Far better academics, an elite basketball program, and a storied football program which is very fixable if they can get on the Big Ten schedule. Plus, you would get your foot in the New York media market.

My Big Ten Expansion Wish List:

1. Notre Dame (One last ultimatum, tell them to get with the times or be stuck on the outside looking in.)

--- Chasm 1 ---

2. Pitt

3. Syracuse

4. Missouri

5. UConn

6. Maryland

--- Chasm 2 ---

8. Ohio (Mostly for my twisted sense of humor... Let's see how good OSU would be with another B10 level program in-state. Not that Ohio is one, but maybe in like 50 years)

--- Chasms 3-56 ---

321. Rutgers

In all seriousness, outside of Mizzou, it doesn't make much sense to me for the B10 to expand further south/west. There are better programs with more natural rivalries, better all-around programs, and better academics with bigger alumni/fan bases east.

^^^Cuse already voluntarily left AAU.

STL is as much as Mizzou is as much it is for Illinois. That is not expanding into a new market. For the most part, STL kids (who can afford to) go north and east to school. KC kids go west and south. TCU, Baylor and ans SMU have loved the I-35 corridor to recruit students; specifically females.

Strictly from a football standpoint...Kansas, K-State, and Mizzou wouldn't be the first three I'd recruit if I were the Big Ten.

However, they'd join for all sports, including basketball...Kansas needs no introduction, and K-State and Mizzou are fast-rising programs in their own there.

So all in all, the Big Ten needs to look from an all-sports standpoint-then they'd hit paydirt.

bYhYmxh.png

^^^Cuse already voluntarily left AAU.

STL is as much as Mizzou is as much it is for Illinois. That is not expanding into a new market. For the most part, STL kids (who can afford to) go north and east to school. KC kids go west and south. TCU, Baylor and ans SMU have loved the I-35 corridor to recruit students; specifically females.

Riddle me this. What good did it do the Big East to chase major markets in the early 2000s expansion? Not much, correct? So then why should the Big Ten follow suit? I think the Big Ten in the long run is better off building towards its strengths and picking off at least a couple more Midwestern state schools than going overboard on some "drang nach osten".

Again, I'm convinced that the cable business model is going to see dramatic change over the next decade, and it won't be in a way that makes grabbing markets straight up more favorable.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

With regards to the AAU thing, I suspect Nebraska and Syracuse's experience has lead the Big Ten to reevaluate the AAU membership not-requirement. Nebraska's ouster wasn't a function of them not doing research so much as it was a function of them not doing the "right" research. (A particular brand of academic bull :censored: that I anyone who spends substantial time in academia should be familiar with.) Syracuse is about the only "New York" market school I wouldn't mind adding to the Big Ten, honestly. It's close enough to the rest of the Conference in profile (albeit private.)

Today, we are all otaku.

What does "they don't have anything to offer academically" mean? What does any school in an athletic conference offer to the others in terms of academics? It's not like there's some secret type of math that one school knows that the other schools in a conference hope that they'll share with them if they let them play football with them.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

What does "they don't have anything to offer academically" mean? What does any school in an athletic conference offer to the others in terms of academics? It's not like there's some secret type of math that one school knows that the other schools in a conference hope that they'll share with them if they let them play football with them.

In reality, it should mean nothing... but to the genius* that is Jim Delany, apparently it does?

*not actually a genius

The Big Ten and Pac 12 tend to also closely associate on an academic level; Big Ten schools (plus University of Chicago) heavily and successfully collaborate to get research funding and grant money kicked their way, so the Big Ten would like to add schools that are similarly interested in academic research and have some credentials to attract some of that money already*.

*Keyword being "some". CIC membership tends to provide a generous boost in your research funding, so you don't have to be on the level of your average Big Ten school already.

Today, we are all otaku.

They're Pac-12 bound. The Pac-12 would be silly to pass up the opportunity to have an annual Stoops Bowl, I tell you! :P

Seriously, though, I think Oklahoma and OSU are going to come out west.

How would you feel about adding Syracuse? Far better academics, an elite basketball program, and a storied football program which is very fixable if they can get on the Big Ten schedule. Plus, you would get your foot in the New York media market.

Although we'd be attractive to the Big Ten, dropping out of the AAU aside (Syracuse focuses more on undergrad than grad outside of the Maxwell Public Affairs schools so research isn't really our big thing, which is partly why we're out of that. The other part is because Chancy Nancy is trying to ruin our ranking every year through accepting half the state of Massachusetts ever since UMass went down the drain as well as half of California but that's another story for another day), I feel I'd rather go to the ACC if we can't stay in the Big East.

The Big Ten does bring the NYC market to them (to an extent. Barely anyone cares about college football in NYC, more on this re: Rutgers later), and aside from being a private school fits into their academic profile well being a tier 1 school. The basketball program's really the big get out of it and the football program's been on the upswing. That being said, Syracuse screams ACC school if you eliminate the Big East out of the equation. There's way more private schools in the ACC with schools having a similar number of students as SU. Not to mention it's still an academic fit. On top of that, what's Syracuse's strengths? Basketball, Men's Lacrosse, and Field Hockey. You know what the ACC's strength's are? Yep, those three sports as well. Plus the fact SU was all but in the ACC back in the raid of '04 before the VA legislature stepped in, and Boston College arguably brings a better football rivalry than anything found in the Big East (maybe except for WVU, but that's been one-sided until last year. Rutgers has only been a relevant rivalry since G-Rob screwed things up). Georgetown? Well, we're only playing them once this year, so we can always go non-conference. It'll be the same as the Big East in this day and age. And don't be surprised if UConn would come over in a package deal, too, and if worse comes to worse with Boeheim and Calhoun's relationship that'll be a non-conference game every year. So if the ACC expands or reacts to an SEC raid, I can see Syracuse making the leap to the ACC before any leap to the Big Ten.

Now as for Rutgers... Well, yeah the New York market and being a land-grant public school helps its Big Ten chances. But the fact is Rutgers' strong point is football. And after last year's 4-8 effort, that's not even much of a strong point anymore. The truth of the matter is the NYC area only warms itself up to two college sports- basketball and lacrosse. Being from Long Island, the Rutgers fanbase is almost non-existent. It does exist in New Jersey, but even there come basketball season they have stiff fanbase competition from Seton Hall (the greatest Big East rivalry according to Pat Forde :P ). Even in football you have the traditionalists/old people rooting for Princeton like-it's-the-1960s-and-think-Rutgers-is-still-a-perrenial-2-10-team smack dab in Rutgers' Central Jersey footprint and even the Jersey Shore provides some competition with Monmouth Miles Austin Miles Austin Miles Austin. And personally having been to Rutgers for a Cuse-RU game, the Syracuse fanbase was pretty half and half with Rutgers (granted you can say the same thing, or even outnumbering, with any other NYC area school). I'd even argue that Penn State and UConn have more influence in the NYC market than Rutgers. The Big Ten I think would be better off going for Pitt. It's in Big Ten territory, but all things considered even without adding a new market it has better academics, a better football tradition than "HEY! YOU GUYS! We won the first ever college football game at our campus!!" and "Remember that year we made the Texas Bowl?", and much better basketball. That's not to say Rutgers is bad academically or from a market standpoint, but I just don't think it's in the Big Ten's interest to go after them.

Alrighty, long-winded analysis complete. Carry on :P

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Archived