Texas A&M leaving the Big 12

rvrdgsfn

I think Texas Tech would join the PAC with Texas and the Oklahoma schools. Mizzou would probably be grabbed up by either the B1G or SEC. Kansas would maybe have an outside shot at one of those 2 conferences and possibly the Big East, with maybe K-State being attached, otherwise I could see the 2 Kansas schools joining the Mountain West and increasing that conferece's profile. They may even get "BCS Conference" consideration, but the likelihood isn't great. Though, that'd be a better step for them than C-USA. Iowa State would seriously have to try and attach themselves to one of the other schools, or else hope for the Mountain West. If not, their screwed. Possibly C-USA, but also maybe even the MAC.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Baylor is the only one. However, I do find it ironic that the main schools spearheading this:

--Baylor

--Iowa State

--Kansas

See, that's not really ironic at all. Those are the ones with the most to lose, especially Baylor and Iowa State, and that's why they're the ones at the front of the pack ready to sue.

Texas couldn't care less, neither could Oklahoma. Wherever they end up, they'll still be the top dogs.

OK State and Texas Tech will find places, too. They could REALLY help the Mountain West and solidify that conference's claim for an AQ spot.

But the others? They're SOL.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

I know basketball isn't nearly as profitable as football, but Kansas is an all-time top five basketball program. It's sad to see them so easily thrown away. How close is Big Ten to 16, anyway? Kansas would be a pretty obvious fit.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I know basketball isn't nearly as profitable as football, but Kansas is an all-time top five basketball program. It's sad to see them so easily thrown away. How close is Big Ten to 16, anyway? Kansas would be a pretty obvious fit.

I was thinking the same thing, and certainly geographically it makes sense. As far as Baylor and Iowa State, C-USA would welcome them with open arms just because.

If they wanted to save the Big 12, why not poach TCU and SMU (or even one of the Houston schools), that way you kill two birds with one stone and gain a top-5 TV market in the process.

I was thinking the same thing, and certainly geographically it makes sense. As far as Baylor and Iowa State, C-USA would welcome them with open arms just because.

If they wanted to save the Big 12, why not poach TCU and SMU (or even one of the Houston schools), that way you kill two birds with one stone and gain a top-5 TV market in the process.

Taking those schools do nothing as there already are more Texas Ex (aka Texas alumni) in both cities than alumni of those schools so their footprint stays the same in terms of media.

For what its worth both Kansas schools reportedly have standing offers from the Big East.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

For what its worth both Kansas schools reportedly have standing offers from the Big East.

Wow. That would absolutely dominate in basketball! It wouldn't even be close as to who had the best conference.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

So is the Big East going to grow to to 20 or 24 schools? Isn't the Big East big enough?

Well, that's why the Kansas schools are somewhat reluctant about the Big East. The Big East may be more stable than the Big 12, but that's like saying the Austro-Hungarian Dual Monarchy was more stable than the Ottoman Empire in the period from 1900 to World War One.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So is the Big East going to grow to to 20 or 24 schools? Isn't the Big East big enough?

The non-football schools would likely get punted the first chance they get. Trade Georgetown/Villanova/St. John's for Kansas? I'd do it.

@MadmanLA - TCU joins the BE in 2012. They're off the table.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

No way Georgetown would be going anywhere. They're too Big East traditional to be booted. What I could see, or recommend, would be to split into 2 basketball conferences and have the football schools from both make up the Big East football conference. Basically take the long time schools like G'Town, Syracuse, UConn, etc. and make them the "Big East" and have the more midwestern schools like Cincinnati, Louisville, Notre Dame, and the Kansas schools form another. Here's a plan for the current make-up (TCU included) and Kansas and K-State. I'm not gonna guess beyond that, so there'll need to be schools added to even it out possibly and reach the desired 12 football schools and however many in basketball.

Football

Connecticut

Rutgers

Syracuse

Pittsburgh

West Virginia

Louisville

Cincinnati

South Florida

Kansas

Kansas State

TCU

(12th school. Villanova? Maybe eventually?)

Big East Basketball

UConn

Georgetown

Syracuse

St. John's

Seton Hall

Providence

Villanova

Pitt

West Virginia

Rutgers

Big Whatever Basketball

Kansas

K-State

TCU

Marquette

DePaul

Cincinnati

Louisville

Notre Dame

South Florida

(10th school)

Though I'd rather see Mizzou go Big Ten or SEC, they would make a nice 12th FB team and 10th BB team in the "other" conference.

It's my opinion that you might possibly see the breakoff of the Big East football schools to form their own conference if this happens. For the longest time there was an even split of football/non-football universities, but now with a potential surplus of football schools, this could be the time.

Let the b-ball have the name, we'll come up with something else.

Archived