My Fictional University

oaklandhusker

Okay. So I've seen a couple of similar concepts here on the boards. This is going to be my first project seen all the way through, and I hope you all enjoy it.

I have decided to create a university in my hometown of Spuyten Duyvil, a region of the Bronx. Look it up on wikipedia. My university's sports teams are known as the SDU Spitting Devils,

which comes from the areas name, which translate loosely into the phrase, "spitting devil." The University uses colors dubbed "devil red," "river blue," and "spitting blue."

Academic Logo:

SDUacademiclogo.png

color scheme:

SDUcolors.png

Next up: sports logos and baseball uniforms.

C&C?

bex2bn.jpg

v7xt0k.jpg

Alright. While I'm having some issues with my primary logo (my only tools are paint and powerpoint), I have managed to create the Spuyten Duyvil University Spitting Devils secondary logo. It portrays a glob of spit with the letters SD (for both Spuyten Duyvil and Spitting Devils) on it in devil red. The glob is spitting blue with a river blue outline.

Without further ado:

SDUSDSecondarylogo.png

bex2bn.jpg

v7xt0k.jpg

Creative.. well no.

Well thought out.. probably not.

Immaculate execution.. negative.

Took 10 minutes to create.. THAT?S RIGHT!

If you want people to take your work seriously, and for them to want to spend their time commenting and critiquing you work, you MUST put time into your designs. Just my 2cents.

teams.gif

Someone be a World Champ, please!

Fantasy Football Keeper League.....PM me if you want to join!!

No.

If you want well thought out input and C and C, at least put forth the effort to try and do the same for your work. Since we've all heard this sob story a thousand times, I promise you that nobody on this board loses sleep over your lack of ingenuity. They'll just skip over it and not even bother to comment.

So, if you want comments, put some thought into it. I can guarentee you that it did not take 15 minutes to create drdougfresh's fantasy university, so there's no reason for you to think that this can rack up nearly as much as attention as he did.

Like others have pointed out, the planning and execution are both sorely lacking. If you don't have good programs (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc), I'd rather see actual pen and paper sketches then something like this. Put in the time and effort and you'll get the CnC.

Also, bumping your thread and demanding comments a grand total of 34 minutes after your initial post probably isn't doing you a lot of favors, either.

Badger_zps8961c467.png

I'm sorry for being an impatient person.

The reason the execution is perhaps not the best is because this is my FIRST concept.

Perhaps you could have told me how to improve what I have instead of yelling at me.

I started this project in the the hopes that my practice while working on it and the C&C I

received would help make me better at this. Pen & Paper drawings won't make me better

at using what computer drawing tools I have.

Also, the reason for that third post was that in said span of 34 minutes, this was viewed 39

times, but no one said a word, which is simply annoying. I'm sorry.

But could I get some advice on how to make it better, perhaps? That is part of the point of the

concepts forum, is it not?

bex2bn.jpg

v7xt0k.jpg

Creative.. well no.

Well thought out.. probably not.

Immaculate execution.. negative.

Took 10 minutes to create.. THAT'S RIGHT!

If you want people to take your work seriously, and for them to want to spend their time commenting and critiquing you work, you MUST put time into your designs. Just my 2cents.

Creative.. I thought it was.

Well thought out.. I've had this whole thing planned out and finished in my head for over a month.

Immaculate execution.. it's my first concept. I'm trying to improve.

Took 10 minutes to create.. Took me over an hour of trying, and trying again, to make it as perfect as I could.

bex2bn.jpg

v7xt0k.jpg

The reason the execution is perhaps not the best is because this is my FIRST concept.

Perhaps you could have told me how to improve what I have instead of yelling at me.

I started this project in the the hopes that my practice while working on it and the C&C I

received would help make me better at this. Pen & Paper drawings won't make me better

Also, the reason for that third post was that in said span of 34 minutes, this was viewed 39

But could I get some advice on how to make it better, perhaps? That is part of the point of the

Sorry for "yelling", but pen and paper drawings may not make you better at computer drawing programs (some would argue, myself included, that it in fact does), but they will help you make better overall concepts. You sketch and sketch until you have a pretty tight concept, THEN move to the computer.

As for the concept itself:

The main logo- I would lose the black outline. The 'spitting blue' seems way too light and at first glance looked white to me. As for the overall idea, I have no idea what that is supposed to be?a sunset over a building? A temple? The typeface you used is uninspired and is poorly integrated with the mark.

Secondary logo- WordArt is not a logo. The gradient, beveled, dropshadowed Monogram really clashes with the flat spit glob. The glob looks like a rain drop. Have you considered possibly using more of a 'splotch' type shape rather than a teardrop shape?

Badger_zps8961c467.png

Sorry for "yelling", but pen and paper drawings may not make you better at computer drawing programs (some would argue, myself included, that it in fact does), but they will help you make better overall concepts. You sketch and sketch until you have a pretty tight concept, THEN move to the computer.

As for the concept itself:

The main logo- I would lose the black outline. The 'spitting blue' seems way too light and at first glance looked white to me. As for the overall idea, I have no idea what that is supposed to be?a sunset over a building? A temple? The typeface you used is uninspired and is poorly integrated with the mark.

Secondary logo- WordArt is not a logo. The gradient, beveled, dropshadowed Monogram really clashes with the flat spit glob. The glob looks like a rain drop. Have you considered possibly using more of a 'splotch' type shape rather than a teardrop shape?

Thank you for the C&C, your apology is accepted.

The academic logo- was supposed to be a university-style building next to a bend in a river, which should really have been two rivers meeting. Do you think that perhaps a sunset behind two rivers meeting would be a better academic logo, with the text on the sun. Also, what font would you suggest?

Secondary logo- How would one create a splotch with the programs I have? Or better yet, how would you improve the glob, which I think would look better on a football helmet or on a sleeve?

Thanks again...

bex2bn.jpg

v7xt0k.jpg

I never sketch out my ideas but take straight to the computer. I felt I get better just practicing on the computer.

I believe everyone can learn the same thing a little different. That being said this is a big project to take on for someone just starting out.

Try starting out with just creating the logo. Once you have perfected that then move on to the whole university concept.

Don't get to mad about people not replying to your topic.

I have gotten good responses for my football league concept but did not get a whole lot of replies.

Take what you can get & try to improve the overall concept.

Now for some real C &C.

Take away the gradients in the SD. Try a circle with some thick lines instead of what you have currently.

Hope this helps!

Before you sit down and start editing this logo, or start working on any other projects, you should take the time to look at other good logos.

Study these logos.

What makes them good?

Look at the stroke thickness.

Look at the lighting and shading.

Are your logos done in a style that people will take seriously or will they think it is clipart?

When I was first starting out in design, I would take my finished logo and paste it on a page with numerous other real logos. I would ask myself, "Does my logo stand out as significantly less professional than the others?" If I showed someone else this page of scattered logos and asked them to identity the amateur design, could they do it? Would they spot mine right away? If my logo was not up to par, I knew it needed more work.

If you were to place either of your two logos above next to other real logos, they would not be up to par.

Is designing logos truly a passion of yours, or is it just something to do to kill and hour here or there? If you want to improve, you will take the time to learn what makes a good design a good design.

Before you sit down and start editing this logo, or start working on any other projects, you should take the time to look at other good logos.

Study these logos.

What makes them good?

Are your logos done in a style that people will take seriously or will they think it is clipart?

When I was first starting out in design, I would take my finished logo and paste it on a page with numerous other real logos. I would ask myself, "Does my logo stand out as significantly less professional than the others?" If I showed someone else this page of scattered logos and asked them to identity the amateur design, could they do it? Would they spot mine right away? If my logo was not up to par, I knew it needed more work.

If you were to place either of your two logos above next to other real logos, they would not be up to par.

Is designing logos truly a passion of yours, or is it just something to do to kill and hour here or there? If you want to improve, you will take the time to learn what makes a good design a good design.

I know that my logos are not up to par, that's why I'm doing this; I'm creating a university to give myself exposure to as many facets of design as I can within one project. I know that my logo looks clipart-y, but perhaps instead of simply telling me that, you could give some suggestions as to how I could improve...

bex2bn.jpg

v7xt0k.jpg

Study these logos.

What makes them good?

I know that my logos are not up to par, that's why I'm doing this; I'm creating a university to give myself exposure to as many facets of design as I can within one project. I know that my logo looks clipart-y, but perhaps instead of simply telling me that, you could give some suggestions as to how I could improve...

I know you're just practicing, and that's good, and hopefully the feedback you get helps you, but our comments can only do so much.

The point of my previous post wasn't to say your logos arent up to par. I wasnt trying to put you down. I was saying it helps to look at other logos and study them so to speak. If that's not the kind of feedback you like, then next time when I feel like commenting, I'll just hold my tongue.

I know you're just practicing, and that's good, and hopefully the feedback you get helps you, but our comments can only do so much.

The point of my previous post wasn't to say your logos arent up to par. I wasnt trying to put you down. I was saying it helps to look at other logos and study them so to speak. If that's not the kind of feedback you like, then next time when I feel like commenting, I'll just hold my tongue.

Jaha brings up a good point. Both he and I have given you feedback not on your logos specifically, but on how to successfully develop a concept as a whole. You accused me of 'yelling' at you, and jaha of simply putting down your logos. If you don't develop a thicker skin to the different types of criticism, no one is going to want to help you in the future.

You can't complain about not getting commments, and then when you do get them, complain about the type of comments you're getting.

Badger_zps8961c467.png

I am not going to comment on the execution of the concept, just the simple fact that I cannot get past the idea that a school would want a glob of spit as their logo. Really? A glob of spit?

If you really want to practice design elements, consider starting with the concept itself, the idea behind the logo. Is it viable? marketable? realistic with the expectations of comparable examples (other colleges in this case).

What works as a fantasy football team (usually idiotic sexual jokes) would not be a good corporate logo. What works in a sports logo doesn't necessarily work in a children's book, etc.

Think about the purpose of the artwork, the audience, the context which surrounds it.

What do college academic logos look like? And athletic logos, what do they emphasize (for example college logos are far more likely to emphasize the school name than the mascot if using a wordmark or letter logo, they can also be far more traditional than a new pro sports team logo would be.)

Study these logos.

What makes them good?

The point of doing a concept is not to throw something together and let the community mold it together for you. I look at C&C as an opportunity to improve on something original. It's like you're saying "Look what I made!" and we offer comments on it, and then you turn it into a tantrum-- as if to say "Then you do it." You asked for C&C, you get some, and then you get mad. Turn that energy into something positive-- like motivation. Hand draw things, try a different program (there's freeware out there that you can learn fairly easily), and please for the love of all things holy: think things through.

As Wide Right said, this is not a good logo for any university-- fictional or not. Unique? Sure. But so are "spitting devils". Why not make a devil logo, then, instead of using auto shapes and WordArt?

You're taking the easy way and getting mad at people who call you on it. If you want to ruin your chances to get good feedback, this is exactly how you do it.

I agree with much that has been said in the couple posts on here. Jaha made some really good points. Study logos you really like, whether they're concepts on here or professional work. Download a program like Inkscape, even take your time in paint, and trace these logos that you like to kind of get the feel of the program. Look up tutorials for the program your using to learn the fundamentals. I like Jaha's example of putting your logo next to professional logos. Now, we get your just starting out. What you produce isn't going to fit right in with the Pro logos, that's just fact. I've been designing for 3 years now and you could probably easily pick out my logos on a sheet of pro ones. It takes time, but the only way to improve is to slow down, work hard on every concept, and in the case of the boards here listen to c and c. If designing is a passion of yours, like jaha mentioned, look up some tutorials, go get a beginners graphic design book, or something like that. I guarantee you none of the amazing designers on here's (Davidson,GFB,Nitroseed just to name a few) first concept looked like the work they produce today. But they all took the time to improve and produce hard work, and it really pays off.

In regards to the concept itself, I like the way that you looked up history, and translated that into Spitting Devils. I find 2 things a little off with this though. One thing, while Spitting Devils is a unique name, anything that regards spitting doesn't seem like something I'd want to represent my school. Also, the fact that the name would be Spuyten Duyvil university spitting devils seems like your just repeating spitting devils twice, as you can kind of almost make out Spuyten Duyvil to be spitting devil. Really not much you can do here without changing the idea, but just some things I noticed.

Hopefully you take our many rants into consideration here, I can assure you they'll pay off.

Archived