Indians block C: current vs early 80's

chakfu

If you look at the most iconic caps in the MLB, Yankees, Braves, etc none have outlines.

The key difference being that the logos/letters on those hats are white on dark blue. There's no chance of there not being enough contrast on those hats. The Indians red hats really overpower the blue C. In my opinion, that's the reason a white outline would really help that look. It doesn't need to be that big or drastic, just something to help the C stand out a little more. Or, as I said before, just go to the blue hats with the cream alts and you've got one of the best looks in baseball.

Also, no offense, but I don't see the Braves' hats as being one of the "most iconic" in baseball.

It's getting there.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you look at the most iconic caps in the MLB, Yankees, Braves, etc none have outlines.

The key difference being that the logos/letters on those hats are white on dark blue. There's no chance of there not being enough contrast on those hats. The Indians red hats really overpower the blue C. In my opinion, that's the reason a white outline would really help that look. It doesn't need to be that big or drastic, just something to help the C stand out a little more. Or, as I said before, just go to the blue hats with the cream alts and you've got one of the best looks in baseball.

Also, no offense, but I don't see the Braves' hats as being one of the "most iconic" in baseball.

It's getting there.

You really think so? Maybe I'm defining of "iconic" differently than you guys are. When I think of the "iconic" hats, I think of the Yankees, (as much as it pains me to say it) Red Sox, Cardinals, Dodgers, Cubs, Tigers, etc. (that's a lot of iconic hats which may defeat the purpose of my argument) I just don't see the Braves' hats as being in that category. It's not a knock on their hats, I really like them, I just don't think they have the same "juice" as the ones I mentioned.

Then again, it's entirely possible that I'm missing the point you guys are trying to make. I've been gone a while. I'm still working on getting my game back up to speed. B)

BB52Big.jpg

I know that in the hip-hop community, the Braves' hats are up there with the Yankees' hat in terms of popularity... mainly because there's been a sizeable number of mainstream rappers coming from the South in the past 10-15 years, and the Braves are the "South's Team".

Hip hop doesn't determine the icon status of a baseball cap.

I know that in the hip-hop community, the Braves' hats are up there with the Yankees' hat in terms of popularity... mainly because there's been a sizeable number of mainstream rappers coming from the South in the past 10-15 years, and the Braves are the "South's Team".

They are on their 3rd city....that's hardly iconic.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

The hats are perfect right now I think. Love that they changed the home alt to red, matches the cream jerseys better just as the blue matches the aways.

Not to mention, for a money reasons the red hats have been selling like crazy ever since they were unveiled. Love them! best addition to the Indians uniform since the 90s redesign

The navy caps looked a lot better with the creams than the red ones do. It looks so out of place with entire set. The navy C looks awkward on the red background, nowhere near as good as the red C on the navy. The Indians are not a red first team. That's the other Ohio team. Honestly, I'd say they should be navy marks trimmed in red more than the Twins.

No, the red is much better with the cream. Look at the cream uniforms, what color is the wordmark? red. Numbers? red. Not to mention the chief wahoo logo is 80% red. The navy hats didn't match the cream, because there is barely any blue on those uniforms except for outlines. The grey are just the opposite, blue hats work because the wordmark, name, and numbers are blue

The belt, shoes, stirrups and undershirts for the cream uniforms? All navy.

I'd have no problem with the red hats if they were just fashion hats. They just have no business on the actual field. Every time I see them, I think, "What's the silly gimmick promotion today? Oh, it's a weekend home game."

And I've mentioned this several times before, but for the life of me, I cannot understand using two shades of navy. The midnight navy was good enough for a hundred years. That lighter navy didn't start appearing until '03. Totally unnecessary, especially when they have hats with the midnight again too.

The Braves cap worn by the quasi-dynasty is absolutely a sport-transcending item and the Braves would do well to stop diluting it with all-navy and tomahawk-crossbarred variations.

They are on their 3rd city....that's hardly iconic.

What? Yes, they're in their third city, where they've happened to achieve the most success they've ever had while being the home team for an entire distinct region of the country and beyond, all coinciding with the meteoric rise of Atlanta as a major American city, during which time the Braves cap has been pretty recognizable. Why did I even respond to this; it's practically a non-sequitur.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Admiral, that doesn't make the ballcap "iconic". Not EVERYONE instantly knows what the scripted "A" belongs too. Some may even confuse it for the University of Alabama's scripted "A".

Their unique jersey, on the other hand, would be a much better argument for being "iconic".

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

Admiral, that doesn't make the ballcap "iconic". Not EVERYONE instantly knows what the scripted "A" belongs too. Some may even confuse it for the University of Alabama's scripted "A".

Exactly. Show just about anyone a Yankees hat and they'll know what is. You can't really say that about a Braves hat. That's the difference.

BB52Big.jpg

Not to mention, for a money reasons the red hats have been selling like crazy ever since they were unveiled.

Got a link to back that claim? I'd love to see it, cause I'm not buying it. Maybe I'm wrong.

Just go to a game. You see them everywhere.

As for the red verse navy C hat with the home alts... I think the red could look good if they wore red socks, red belt, and red undershirt with the red hats. Instead, they are wearing navy belt/socks/undershirt and it causes a bit of visual discontinuity. I don't understand why teams think it is a good look to mismatch the hat/belt/socks/undershirts.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

You really don't think so? I'd put it up there with the Yankees, Dodgers, Cubs, White Sox. Probably ahead of the Cardinals.

Not the ballcap, but def their tomahawk jerseys. Winning doesn't make a logo/script iconic. If that was the case, then the Patriots' "Flying Elvis" would be iconic, but it isn't....Pat the Patriot is iconic. I'll agree with the Yankees and Dodgers, but the other three are in the "maybe" category.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

Not to mention, for a money reasons the red hats have been selling like crazy ever since they were unveiled.

Got a link to back that claim? I'd love to see it, cause I'm not buying it. Maybe I'm wrong.

That doesn't justify your "the red hats have been selling like crazy ever since they were unveiled" comment nor give it any credibility. Red is a brighter color and your eyes will naturally notice it in a crowd over the color navy. This is why it may seem that they are everywhere. You gotta show actual sales numbers to prove that claim. :P

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

Indians actually have more history than both the Cavs and Browns combined if you wanna get technical.

Disagree on the Browns; history isn't age alone. And part of that is evidenced by the fact that the Browns have an iconic, historic uniform; the Indians don't, or we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Interestingly, NOT having an iconic uniform can be good for a team - the Indians are free to try new designs. The Major league era was a nice set; the 90's set was nice - but I think it's time for it to go and be replaced by the retro style block set. (Make the mismatched primary road / alt cream home the primary set.) In 10-15 years, move on to something else again. Same with the Cavaliers (except maintain continuity with the r/w/b!)

While they've used Chief Wahoo for a long time, he hasn't been on the caps that consistently over the years; relegating him to the sleeve would be a good compromise IMO. Interestingly as a Tribe fan I've been on both sides of the debate; when I was younger I was attached to the logo and indignant about changing it; now I feel kind of embarrassed about the team having it. (Although when I was REALLY young I think I was grossed out and/or scared of it! And looked at it has naughty or bad somehow.)

You really don't think so? I'd put it up there with the Yankees, Dodgers, Cubs, White Sox. Probably ahead of the Cardinals.

No, but then I'm wondering if my age may have something to do with it. Maybe among the younger crowd the Braves' hats are every bit as iconic as the rest. From my perspective, the Braves have been bad longer than they've been good. And, they've changed their look a few times over the course of my "fanhood." Someone 20+ years younger than me only knows them as good and wearing these same uniforms and hats. It's all relative I guess.

BB52Big.jpg

No, but then I'm wondering if my age may have something to do with it. Maybe among the younger crowd the Braves' hats are every bit as iconic as the rest. From my perspective, the Braves have been bad longer than they've been good. And, they've changed their look a few times over the course of my "fanhood." Someone 20+ years younger than me only knows them as good and wearing these same uniforms and hats. It's all relative I guess.

It's pretty darn close to iconic status, though since there aren't really "tiers" of iconic, I can't put it in the same class as the Yankees or Dodgers or Tigers etc.) I'm old enough to remember them in royal and white as well, but the navy and red cap with the white A is really the only cap I ever think about or associate with the team. To take it a step farther, I'd say that they're the "owner" of navy crowns with red brims (at least in the NL, with the Indians "owning" it in the AL). When I see the Nationals or Twins with that look, it takes me a minute to adjust to not seeing the usual A on the crown.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

As for the red verse navy C hat with the home alts... I think the red could look good if they wore red socks, red belt, and red undershirt with the red hats. Instead, they are wearing navy belt/socks/undershirt and it causes a bit of visual discontinuity. I don't understand why teams think it is a good look to mismatch the hat/belt/socks/undershirts.

It's about 60-40 red hats to blue nowadays which it pretty insane seeing as this is their first year. I have no official article, but I know I tried to buy one for the longest time before the season started and they were sold out everywhere I went.

Trust me people LOVE the red hat!

I've actually seen a lot of players wearing red undershirts, specifically can remember A-Cab and Acta. Belts/shoes/socks need to stay blue and black, it would look really bad to have all that red. Right now there's an even enough combination of both to look really good.

I agree they're borderline iconic, but it's not more so than the 'StL'. Cardinals have been using that for a lot longer than the Braves have even been in Atlanta. But I agree that it's getting there now. And the last 20+ years have a lot to do with. All those winning years really put them in the forefront and now it's very recognizable as being the Braves. And that cap can and SHOULD be the only cap they use too. That versatility and the simple classiness of it makes it one of the greats.

It's about 60-40 red hats to blue nowadays which it pretty insane seeing as this is their first year. I have no official article, but I know I tried to buy one for the longest time before the season started and they were sold out everywhere I went.

Trust me people LOVE the red hat!

I've actually seen a lot of players wearing red undershirts, specifically can remember A-Cab and Acta. Belts/shoes/socks need to stay blue and black, it would look really bad to have all that red. Right now there's an even enough combination of both to look really good.

I've never seen anybody with the red hat although it is clear that the block C in general has gotten a lot of popularity (I've seen a lot of combo C and Wahoo caps, black and white block C caps, etc.). I'm not sure where you get the idea that the red C is overwhelmingly popular and I certainly don't care for it.

I would like to know what a thin white outline would do for the navy cap, but as a throwback cap it looks good. Right now the Indians uniform set is a jumble of good ideas... I hope within the next couple of seasons they pick one and run with it. As we've seen in the past these uniforms are not set in stone.

Archived