New ESPN scoreboard

Lights Out

I love how simpler and less distracting some of these scoreboards are becoming. I still think many baseball and basketball scoreboards are unnecessarily busy and obnoxious. I know that all of America doesn't have an HD TV yet but at least have more consideration to how your scoreboard looks on an HD telecast. I hate how some of them are smack dab in the middle of the screen and basically in the middle of the action.

I love how simpler and less distracting some of these scoreboards are becoming. I still think many baseball and basketball scoreboards are unnecessarily busy and obnoxious. I know that all of America doesn't have an HD TV yet but at least have more consideration to how your scoreboard looks on an HD telecast. I hate how some of them are smack dab in the middle of the screen and basically in the middle of the action.

ESPN has gone to letterboxing all Standard Definition programming, which gives them the freedom use the full width of the screen for graphics. Fox did this last fall, which allowed them to move their scorebug further towards the corner of the 16x9 frame. Looks like BTN is going the same route.

In general, this is the direction TV is heading, especially with HDTV penetration growing by the day. The obvious advantage is not having to limit the amount of space you use for graphics. The downside is that anyone watching on a 4x3 screen gets a much smaller picture (then again, if that makes them get an HD set, the entire exercise becomes a success.)

Not a fan of Fox's scorebug. Seems too cramped. Maybe they could do what they do for the NFL and have logos instead.

I think that only works because pretty much anybody who's watching an NFL game is going to know what teams are involved just by looking at the logos. College logos aren't quite as ubiquitous. And sure, it would work for their bigger conference games, but it would probably be more confusing for the casual than they'd like for things like their Conference USA package, or any games against a smaller team.

ESPN has gone to letterboxing all Standard Definition programming, which gives them the freedom use the full width of the screen for graphics. Fox did this last fall, which allowed them to move their scorebug further towards the corner of the 16x9 frame. Looks like BTN is going the same route.

In general, this is the direction TV is heading, especially with HDTV penetration growing by the day. The obvious advantage is not having to limit the amount of space you use for graphics. The downside is that anyone watching on a 4x3 screen gets a much smaller picture (then again, if that makes them get an HD set, the entire exercise becomes a success.)

Maybe I'm wrong, but I could swear that I remember watching a sports cast of a football game or something like that where the scoreboard across the top was conducive for HD and then when I turned to the NON-HD channel they were using a different version of the scoreboard. Again, maybe I was just seeing things. Either way, I don't see why they couldn't do something like that. I know that when you watch Sportscenter or ESPNEWS they have different displays depending on whether you are watching in HD or not. (At least they used to, that I'm 100% sure of)

The downside is that anyone watching on a 4x3 screen gets a much smaller picture (then again, if that makes them get an HD set, the entire exercise becomes a success.)

I don't like the fact that networks do this. ESPN looks terrible on a standard TV in 16:9. It blows my mind that such top notch presentation network like ESPN can look so crappy and amateur.

Isn't this "new" scoreboard the same or similar to what they use on MNF?

I can't remember, but even if it is, it's probably changing next week for the Monday Night Football opener.

I can't remember, but even if it is, it's probably changing next week for the Monday Night Football opener.

The one thing that bothers me is that ESPN for the most part has a nice uniformality to its scorebugs, but MNF always bucks the trend. For instance everything had the same style last year that looked exactly like the MNF from 2009, just for MNF to change theirs up with the team logos for who knows what reason why. And with the new logo and from what I've seen from the commercial they ran for next weeks games, I'm not getting my hopes up. Though I guess with the rest of the graphics package at least it's mainly the same, much unlike Fox prior to what they have now

Archived