LSU Pro Combats Sighted in Las Vegas Nike Store

GeauxColonels

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this is legit, I hope they do not wear the white pants. That is just too much white!

This is LSU we're talking about here. Dude, I thought you were an SEC homer fan.

If this is legit, I hope they do not wear the white pants. That is just too much white!

This is LSU we're talking about here. Dude, I thought you were an SEC homer fan.

I am an SEC homer for NCAA championships! We already went over this, but not when it comes to uniforms. This set looks okay, but the best set tonight will be worn by Oregon! Besides, you should know by now that I hate all-white storm trooper uniforms. I do like the Old Gold though.

spacer.png

Reminds me of their Katrina uniforms.

Really? They look nothing like the Katrina unis worn vs Tulane.

The white helmets and pants and similar jerseys, but in white.

The white helmets came well before that game. The jerseys are much closer to the regular jerseys than the Katrina jerseys.

gYH2mW9.png

As much as I love a purple/yellow color scheme, I wouldn't be opposed to LSU using old gold full time instead.

Did LSU use gold way back in the day? Or am I just remembering "Everybody's All-American?" Did these uniforms actually exist or are they a Hollywood creation? Seems weird that they'd get the Broncos and Redskins right and blow LSU's unis. Unless of course LSU refused to give them permission.

3782705061_8a348aef52.jpg

Anyway, I agree. That gold would look really good. I really like the white helmet. Kudos to LSU/Nike for coming up with a "Pro Combat" (God I hate calling them that) look that even an old school fool like me likes.

BB52Big.jpg

The main problem with LSU going to old gold is that they have a unique look now, and the old gold would make them look like Washington, besides the yellow looks better IMO.

Fair points. Once in a while with the gold will just have to do.

BB52Big.jpg

Did somebody say

sublimated tiger stripes

That requires a trademark with my permission via the 2011 lacrosse uniform thread ^_^:P

But in all seriousness, with the exception of the pit stain, those jerseys look really nice. LSU's got a good look in the first place, but these really come off nicely with the old gold. And the white helmets are really, really sharp.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

As much as I love a purple/yellow color scheme, I wouldn't be opposed to LSU using old gold full time instead.

Did LSU use gold way back in the day? Or am I just remembering "Everybody's All-American?" Did these uniforms actually exist or are they a Hollywood creation? Seems weird that they'd get the Broncos and Redskins right and blow LSU's unis. Unless of course LSU refused to give them permission.

Anyway, I agree. That gold would look really good. I really like the white helmet. Kudos to LSU/Nike for coming up with a "Pro Combat" (God I hate calling them that) look that even an old school fool like me likes.

LSU did use the old gold back in the 40's. That's why they've used the color in both pro combat sets (assuming this is legit).

gYH2mW9.png

I really like those Pro Combat unis if they're legit. LSU looks pretty good with the white helmet when they wear it as rarely as they do. Would never want to see it full time but once every couple of years is good.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

LSU did use the old gold back in the 40's. That's why they've used the color in both pro combat sets (assuming this is legit).

It's been a very long time since I saw "Everybody's All-American" but I believe that they didn't really try to fix it to one year - LSU might not have participated and I don't think they ever wore a jersey quite like that, but the helmet was used in the early 50s (up through '55 according to Helmethut). The NFL fully participated so they were able to use legit unforms for the pro game scenes.

Those LSU jerseys aren't good, but they would be onto something if they removed the purple side inserts. The stripes wrap around farther than on any current template by any manufacturer. As terrible as this template is with so many random pointless seams, the shoulder loops are one thing it gets right.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

It's been a very long time since I saw "Everybody's All-American" but I believe that they didn't really try to fix it to one year - LSU might not have participated and I don't think they ever wore a jersey quite like that, but the helmet was used in the early 50s (up through '55 according to Helmethut). The NFL fully participated so they were able to use legit unforms for the pro game scenes.

LSU must not have participated because the school wasn't called LSU in the movie, it was the University of Louisiana or some such, which was odd because IIRC they had Mike the tiger and Georgia was Georgia when they played in the fictional Sugar Bowl portrayed in the film.

BTW, the part when Gavin Grey tries a comeback, the one that starts with the shot of Mile High, is one of the best sports movie segments ever. My favorite part is the blizzard, when that music is playing as shots of him are interchanged with the Pats' D digging in and the ones of Dennis Quaid keep zooming in so in the last one all you see is his eyes behind his face mask.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

LSU must not have participated because the school wasn't called LSU in the movie, it was the University of Louisiana or some such, which was odd because IIRC they had Mike the tiger and Georgia was Georgia when they played in the fictional Sugar Bowl portrayed in the film.

BTW, the part when Gavin Grey tries a comeback, the one that starts with the shot of Mile High, is one of the best sports movie segments ever. My favorite part is the blizzard, when that music is playing as shots of him are interchanged with the Pats' D digging in and the ones of Dennis Quaid keep zooming in so in the last one all you see is his eyes behind his face mask.

I started reading the book back in the day but never finished it - Deford set it at UNC not LSU so makeing the location in Louisiana was a change for the movie. Deford has denied that Quaid's character was based on any true players, so perhaps LSU wanted to distance themselves a little bit more so that Quaid's character wasn't percieved to be based on Billy Cannon.

Back to the original post - except for the purple pit stains the jerseys look good; I'm glad that Nike has found a way to fit the shoulder stripes on their new template. Perhaps this bodes well for teams like the Colts and the Jets once the NFL moves to Nike for 2012.

Archived