2011 Rugby World Cup

Luigi

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

good game from new plymouth with the usa edging out russia 13-6. Found this picture on the RWC website, thought it was funny!

2051426%5flrg-169.jpg

8026825156_0d03b8c868.jpg6864286734_be379a26d2_n.jpg

My fantasy teams: West Coast Cardinals (WRU), Glasgow Claymores (RLI) (Champions 2012) and Pemberton Foresters (VBL)

i'm starting to realise that the difference between top tier teams and second tier teams is decision making and defense.

My fantasy teams: West Coast Cardinals (WRU), Glasgow Claymores (RLI) (Champions 2012) and Pemberton Foresters (VBL)

i'm starting to realise that the difference between top tier teams and second tier teams is decision making and defense.

Actually defence is the area that second tier teams have improved the most (hence why teams can't run up 60 and 70 point wins so easily any more). Decision making and unforced errors are probably the biggest differences right now.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

The biggest area of difference for me is the fitness levels. The professional teams are running out 80 minutes at full intensity, whereas you see a few lazy penalties and defensive mistakes from the second tier nations in the last 10-15 minutes of games.

liverpool-1.png

The biggest area of difference for me is the fitness levels. The professional teams are running out 80 minutes at full intensity, whereas you see a few lazy penalties and defensive mistakes from the second tier nations in the last 10-15 minutes of games.

That's a good point, especially when seperating the very very best from the rest.

The difference in decision making is often speed of thought. The All Blacks, Wallabies etc recycle possession very quickly, they hit gaps super quick, the move between phases of play quickly.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

my facebook news feed right now:

"the awkward moment when ireland have 16 players on the field the whole game... Well, thats only if u count a ref as one of their players, which he might as well have been"

"Ireland + the ref + urge to kick at every opportunity vs Wallabies?"

"what a disgusting piece of refereeing"

what a disappointment, of the 3 games so far that I have actually cared about, 2 of them have been decided by bad refereeing.

If your blaming Australia's defeat on the ref that's just bull. It was a good tense game of test rugby where Ireland created more penalty opportunities. Remember as well that refs have been told to favour the team going forward, and in tight play in this match it was almost always Ireland going forward.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

If your blaming Australia's defeat on the ref that's just bull. It was a good tense game of test rugby where Ireland created more penalty opportunities. Remember as well that refs have been told to favour the team going forward, and in tight play in this match it was almost always Ireland going forward.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

true, it wasn't just the refereeing that lost us the game, we didn't exactly play well either. That said there were some blatantly bad calls, especially around the scrum

true, it wasn't just the refereeing that lost us the game, we didn't exactly play well either. That said there were some blatantly bad calls, especially around the scrum

Well there was at least one blocking call that would have given Ireland a penalty that wasn't given, and Ireland were controlling the scrums throughout the game. It wasn't the scrum that really did for Australia mind, it was the slowness of possesion they were getting.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Interesting little aside from the Ireland win incidentally- unless France beat the All Blacks, the final is almost certain to be European team against a Southern Hemisphere team. In the history of the competition, only the 1995 South Africa vs New Zealand final did not follow that pattern.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Interesting little aside from the Ireland win incidentally- unless France beat the All Blacks, the final is almost certain to be European team against a Southern Hemisphere team. In the history of the competition, only the 1995 South Africa vs New Zealand final did not follow that pattern.

and in the 5 times that's happened, the northern hemisphere team has only won once.

Archived