THOSE MARYLAND UNIFORMS

dbackdiehard17

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm guessing that the reaction to the uniforms has far exceeded anything Under Armour and Maryland could have hoped for. Both my girlfriend and my doctor asked me about them yesterday. Two people who are not big sports fans know about the uniforms. That's a marketing home run if you ask me.

Best thing to ever happen to Maryland and Under Armour. With this stunt, the whole country is talking about Maryland's football uni's (Maryland has a football team? Exactly) and now Under Armour has quickly become #2 in the game behind Nike. Addidas/Reebok just got sent to the minors. Kudos to both.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

I think the bigger reaction is, "Wait, Maryland has a football team?!"

I can tell you from experience that football was probably number 6 on the Maryland hierarchy of sports, behind Men's basketball, Men's lacrosse, Men's soccer, Women's basketball, and the club rugby team. The focus is on the uniforms, not on the style of play. At least Oregon's "quack attack" or whatever it's called is fun and exciting to watch, and fairly unique in the world of college football (full-time no-huddle). Maryland? Edsall-ball is about a half step behind Fridge-ball on the yawn-o-meter.

That's exactly my point. This put them on the football map (regardless of the reason) and they were talked about for probably the 1st time ever. The ACC is a football joke and now the previosuly unknown Maryland football program not only was talked about at the national level...but they WON THE GAME ON NATIONAL TV against The U while pulling off this stunt. This couldn't of gone any better for both UA and the Terps.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

All of it goes down the tubes if the Terps finish as poorly as predicted (8th-10th) in the ACC standings. Oregon got away with it because they played good football wearing (some would call) strange-looking uniforms. Nobody creates a fuss for a team that finishes 6-7 with a loss to Florida International in the NobodyCares.com Bowl.

I shouldn't have said anything...

1) because it turned into a huge discussion.

2) it was revealed that someone in this thread enjoys THIS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GFpFNBqj2M

Just watch episode 9. Then judge me.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

That's exactly my point. This put them on the football map (regardless of the reason) and they were talked about for probably the 1st time ever. The ACC is a football joke and now the previosuly unknown Maryland football program not only has talked about at the national level...but they WON THE GAME ON NATIONAL TV against The U while pulling off this stunt. This couldn't of gone any better for both UA and the Terps.

Excellent point and that is precisely what Nike has done for Oregon. Heck 18 years ago, no one cared about Oregon Football, that was until they went to 1995 Rose Bowl and then Knight began to promote them through their uniforms.

spacer.png

Except they won against a severely depleted Miami team. Their success won't last. This is Maryland we're talking about here.

The casual fan doesn't know a good Maimi team from a bad one, all they know is that it is Miami. So Maryland won HUGE on national TV and UA just went from a distant #3 to a very VERY strong #2. People can hate this jersy all they want, but this was so huge, that the foundation has already been placed and it now doesn't matter if they play poorly. If this was 'Battleship', UA just sunk one of Nike's destroyers.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

A quick Photoshop flip of the helmets...taken from mr.baseball's screen shots..thanks.

MDHelmetflip.png

The haters are still gonna hate...but it does look a better IMHO.

The photo on the left confirmed that my only real problem with these unis is the execution. This could be a pretty decent look if they went only with the checkerboard on the shoulders and only the cross on the helmet. It would allow them to have a red version of the jerseys while maintaining consistency. Hopefully someone in the Maryland AD thinks to tweak these.

Except they won against a severely depleted Miami team. Their success won't last. This is Maryland we're talking about here.

The casual fan doesn't know a good Maimi team from a bad one, all they know is that it is Miami. So Maryland won HUGE on national TV and UA just went from a distant #3 to a very VERY strong #2. People can hate this jersy all they want, but this was so huge, that the foundation has already been placed and it now doesn't matter if they play poorly. If this was 'Battleship', UA just sunk one of Nike's destroyers.

I'm not so sure casual fans would know about Miami's dominance in the late '80s and early '90s or the once NFL factory often simply referred to as "The U". I think you got the National TV part right, though.

Oh, and how many casual fans know about the Nike Pro Combat campaign? Who participated and what their uniforms looked like?

Don't get me wrong, I liked the uniforms the Terps wore on Monday. I reserve the right to change my opinions if they trot out all-yellows with that blank matte black helmet.

At least Oregon's "quack attack" or whatever it's called is fun and exciting to watch, and fairly unique in the world of college football (full-time no-huddle). Maryland? Edsall-ball is about a half step behind Fridge-ball on the yawn-o-meter.

So? People are willing to watch Big Ten football...

qcovr1o1_400.gif

Big 10 football is the closet thing NCAAF has to watching the NFL.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

At least Oregon's "quack attack" or whatever it's called is fun and exciting to watch, and fairly unique in the world of college football (full-time no-huddle). Maryland? Edsall-ball is about a half step behind Fridge-ball on the yawn-o-meter.

So? People are willing to watch Big Ten football...

qcovr1o1_400.gif

Big 10 SEC football is the closet thing NCAAF has to watching the NFL.

I had to fix it for you.

spacer.png

I can tell you from experience that football was probably number 6 on the Maryland hierarchy of sports, behind Men's basketball, Men's lacrosse, Men's soccer, Women's basketball, and the club rugby team. The focus is on the uniforms, not on the style of play. At least Oregon's "quack attack" or whatever it's called is fun and exciting to watch, and fairly unique in the world of college football (full-time no-huddle). Maryland? Edsall-ball is about a half step behind Fridge-ball on the yawn-o-meter.

I don't know what experience you have had at UMD, or if you've been brainwashed by Debbie Yow, but football is a clear #2.

I don't know what experience you have had at UMD, or if you've been brainwashed by Debbie Yow, but football is a clear #2.

Maryland has soccer? Yea I think you are out of the loop. I hate to break it to you...but the girls basketball, soccer, lacrosse and CLUB rugby teams do not put cash in the coffers...or attract 30 to 50K in attendance. Hell the soccer team does not even play in the big boy stadium. And now that Garyland is no more...lets just see how long the BB program continues it's prominence.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Archived