THOSE MARYLAND UNIFORMS

dbackdiehard17

Really interesting Outside the Lines feature on the uniforms. These things have won over so much damn attention. Touche, Maryland, touche.

nvm, saw punches post. I think he wants to make himself seem like some sort of intellectual as opposed to some crazy ultra old school egomaniac.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really interesting Outside the Lines feature on the uniforms. These things have won over so much damn attention. Touche, Maryland, touche.

nvm, saw punches post. I think he wants to make himself seem like some sort of intellectual as opposed to some crazy ultra old school egomaniac.

Do you even read UniWatch?

Starting looking under the sofa cushions --

Maryland To Auction Off Those Uniforms

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Do you even read UniWatch?

Daily. He seems to dislike things for the sole purpose that it's modern, which is ridiculous.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I think the bigger reaction is, "Wait, Maryland has a football team?!"

I can tell you from experience that football was probably number 6 on the Maryland hierarchy of sports, behind Men's basketball, Men's lacrosse, Men's soccer, Women's basketball, and the club rugby team. The focus is on the uniforms, not on the style of play. At least Oregon's "quack attack" or whatever it's called is fun and exciting to watch, and fairly unique in the world of college football (full-time no-huddle). Maryland? Edsall-ball is about a half step behind Fridge-ball on the yawn-o-meter.

I don't know what experience you have had at UMD, or if you've been brainwashed by Debbie Yow, but football is a clear #2.

Maryland has soccer? Yea I think you are out of the loop. I hate to break it to you...but the girls basketball, soccer, lacrosse and CLUB rugby teams do not put cash in the coffers...or attract 30 to 50K in attendance. Hell the soccer team does not even play in the big boy stadium. And now that Garyland is no more...lets just see how long the BB program continues it's prominence.

And yet Fridge was fired after a 9-win season, including a bowl win, because there wasn't enough support for the football team among donors. If football is such a cash cow at Maryland, why is the AD facing a $1.2 million shortfall this year? How often does Byrd sell out? Why do the Terps have such trouble getting people to buy season tickets for football even when they discount prices repeatedly?

Women's BB - National Championship

Men's BB - National Championship

Men's Soccer - National Championship

Men's Lacrosse - National Championship

Football - Hasn't been ranked #1 in any poll since 1955.

Facts are facts. Maryland is a basketball school first, a lacrosse school second, and football is an afterthought and a reason for students to get drunk on Saturdays when basketball isn't in season.

They are broke because they have to pay for all the women's sports and every men's sport besides basketball. One ...ONE football game out draws the ENTIRE SEASON of men's soccer. lacrosse does well, but it does not get the numbers. Go find the attendence figures on soccer and lacrosse and women's basketball. Facts are facts...even when they suck...they still get more asses in the seats than soccer, lacrosse and 99% of the women's basketball games. The donor money dried up because the economy dried up. But hey...facts are facts. Here are the attendancefigures for Maryland football. I doubt soccer, lacrosse or woman's basketball draw more.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

I think the bigger reaction is, "Wait, Maryland has a football team?!"

I can tell you from experience that football was probably number 6 on the Maryland hierarchy of sports, behind Men's basketball, Men's lacrosse, Men's soccer, Women's basketball, and the club rugby team. The focus is on the uniforms, not on the style of play. At least Oregon's "quack attack" or whatever it's called is fun and exciting to watch, and fairly unique in the world of college football (full-time no-huddle). Maryland? Edsall-ball is about a half step behind Fridge-ball on the yawn-o-meter.

I don't know what experience you have had at UMD, or if you've been brainwashed by Debbie Yow, but football is a clear #2.

Maryland has soccer? Yea I think you are out of the loop. I hate to break it to you...but the girls basketball, soccer, lacrosse and CLUB rugby teams do not put cash in the coffers...or attract 30 to 50K in attendance. Hell the soccer team does not even play in the big boy stadium. And now that Garyland is no more...lets just see how long the BB program continues it's prominence.

And yet Fridge was fired after a 9-win season, including a bowl win, because there wasn't enough support for the football team among donors. If football is such a cash cow at Maryland, why is the AD facing a $1.2 million shortfall this year? How often does Byrd sell out? Why do the Terps have such trouble getting people to buy season tickets for football even when they discount prices repeatedly?

Women's BB - National Championship

Men's BB - National Championship

Men's Soccer - National Championship

Men's Lacrosse - National Championship

Football - Hasn't been ranked #1 in any poll since 1955.

Facts are facts. Maryland is a basketball school first, a lacrosse school second, and football is an afterthought and a reason for students to get drunk on Saturdays when basketball isn't in season.

They are broke because they have to pay for all the women's sports and every men's sport besides basketball. One ...ONE football game out draws the ENTIRE SEASON of men's soccer. lacrosse does well, but it does not get the numbers. Go find the attendence figures on soccer and lacrosse and women's basketball. Facts are facts...even when they suck...they still get more asses in the seats than soccer, lacrosse and 99% of the women's basketball games. The donor money dried up because the economy dried up. But hey...facts are facts. Here are the attendancefigures for Maryland football. I doubt soccer, lacrosse or woman's basketball draw more.

2010 Maryland football attendance: 235,007

2010 Maryland Men's Basketball attendance:268,380

The facts hurt, don't they?

They are broke because they have to pay for all the women's sports and every men's sport besides basketball.

Funny how that works, eh? So many other schools in D1 have the same problem, paying for that pesky Title IX and everything... oh wait, no they don't.

Maryland's AD is broke because they spent millions upon millions in renovating Byrd, hoping that the Terps' run of "success" would translate to an increase in fan support. When it didn't, they decided to give Fridge the boot, even though he was the reason for that success in the first place (and don't give me the tripe that "Fridge won with Vanderlinden's players" - that argument doesn't hold water when applied to Urban Meyer winning with Ron Zook's players at Florida, and it doesn't hold water here). Fridge sent more guys to the NFL than any school in the ACC not named Miami and won five bowl games in ten years.

And yet the donors still didn't give a hoot about Maryland football.

Maryland's AD bungled the entire thing from start to finish. Maryland was never a football program any more than Duke, UConn or Syracuse were football programs. Maryland has always been a basketball school first and foremost, even before then Men's BB National Championship in '02 or the Women's BB National Championship in '06. Even before Gary Williams took over the Terps. The fact that Maryland's AD couldn't understand the dynamics of the DC/Baltimore area (pro football trumps everything in the DMV - between the Redskins and Ravens, nobody has any attention to pay to the Terps) is simply inexcusable. They dumped boatloads of money into the football program, and even more into changing head coaches with an expensive buyout. And all of it will lead to nothing.

Simply put, Maryland football is an afterthought.

The facts hurt, don't they?

He never said anything about men's basketball attendance, apparently reading hurts you

Maryland had 18 home games in basketball last year. Their arena sits about 17,000, so assuming they get that much every game, they should have a total attendance of 306,000. Byrd Stadium can sit up to 55,000 people. If they sell out every game in 6 home games, which is much more possible than doing that for basketball, they should have a total attendance of 333,000.

That's pretty sad.

I heard Kevin Anderson (Maryland AD) on the radio last night. From what I gathered from the interview, there were no plans to sell the Maryland Pride uniforms. However, Anderson made it sound as if he would like to see them put on sale because there has been a lot of demand for them.

As for the "what type of school is Maryland" debate, it is men's basketball first, football second. Lacrosse, men's soccer and women's basketball do well relative to other schools (ex., the men's soccer team drew over 7,000 against Stanford last week). However, attendance for those sports is still just a drop in the bucket compared to the big two.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

As for the "what type of school is Maryland" debate, it is men's basketball first, football second. Lacrosse, men's soccer and women's basketball do well relative to other schools (ex., the men's soccer team drew over 7,000 against Stanford last week). However, attendance for those sports is still just a drop in the bucket compared to the big two.

As they should be. But then again, the venues for those sports (aside from Women's hoops) are designed for a smaller capacity because the expectation is that they'll draw fewer spectators anyway.

Debbie Yow royally messed up when she gave the green light for the costly (and I would argue unnecessary) 2007 Byrd renovations. Kevin Anderson royally messed up when he figured firing Fridge would attract some big-time coach to replace him, then royally messed up again when he didn't extend offers to Mike Leach or Phil Fulmer. Both made the mistake of overestimating the appeal of Maryland football, and neither realized that no matter how well the Terps do, they aren't going to draw more fans when their biggest rival in football plays in a different conference (Penn State) and they have to compete with not one, but two pro football franchises within a 50-mile radius.

Oh, and that whole thing about not being ranked number 1 in football since 1955 doesn't help either.

As they should be. But then again, the venues for those sports (aside from Women's hoops) are designed for a smaller capacity because the expectation is that they'll draw fewer spectators anyway.

Debbie Yow royally messed up when she gave the green light for the costly (and I would argue unnecessary) 2007 Byrd renovations. Kevin Anderson royally messed up when he figured firing Fridge would attract some big-time coach to replace him, then royally messed up again when he didn't extend offers to Mike Leach or Phil Fulmer. Both made the mistake of overestimating the appeal of Maryland football, and neither realized that no matter how well the Terps do, they aren't going to draw more fans when their biggest rival in football plays in a different conference (Penn State) and they have to compete with not one, but two pro football franchises within a 50-mile radius.

Oh, and that whole thing about not being ranked number 1 in football since 1955 doesn't help either.

You think that football ranks behind lax and women's basketball in popularity and you think that Phil Fulmer deserved or was in the running for an offer at UMD. Cut your losses. Although you did badmouth Yow, which I support. Good work there.

Fulmer won a National Championship at Tennessee and was only forced out because his program was rebuilding right as arch-rival Florida peaked with their second National Championship in three years. But that's how life in the SEC goes. His hiring may not have been the "home run" that Maryland brass were looking for, but it would have at least lent some credibility to the decision to buy Fridge out for $2 million. Instead UM went with Randy Edsall, whose style of play is pretty much the same sort of ball control, run-centric football that was cited as the reason for why Fridge had to go. Could the Terps have done worse? Yeah, but they could have done a whole lot better, too.

I heard Kevin Anderson (Maryland AD) on the radio last night. From what I gathered from the interview, there were no plans to sell the Maryland Pride uniforms. However, Anderson made it sound as if he would like to see them put on sale because there has been a lot of demand for them.

I received this reply from the Maryland bookstore regarding the availability of Mayland Pride jerseys...

The white jersey is not made for resale. We will have the red and black jersey in the next few weeks, as we have sold out now.

Sincerely,

Terp Shop

UMd's Pride jerseys, as part of a complete uniform, made for a striking visual on the field. But I don't think that they'll translate well to a replica. The patterns are extremely loud, and wearers won't benefit from the matching helmets - or from being surrounded by a team full of guys wearing the same gear. That replica would stick out like crazy at the local sports bar.

Fulmer won a National Championship at Tennessee and was only forced out because his program was rebuilding right as arch-rival Florida peaked with their second National Championship in three years. But that's how life in the SEC goes. His hiring may not have been the "home run" that Maryland brass were looking for, but it would have at least lent some credibility to the decision to buy Fridge out for $2 million. Instead UM went with Randy Edsall, whose style of play is pretty much the same sort of ball control, run-centric football that was cited as the reason for why Fridge had to go. Could the Terps have done worse? Yeah, but they could have done a whole lot better, too.

And yet, you use the name Fulmer.

About as visually appealing as the Ugandan Flag

ug-lgflag.gif

Don't give UA anymore ideas.

Archived