THOSE MARYLAND UNIFORMS

dbackdiehard17

the "new" helmet and jersey they rolled out is a step too far. thats just doing too much to stand out and ignoring good design.

what they debuted a few weeks ago i liked a lot. obviously they're just copying Nike with everything they've done over the last 3 years, but they pulled off an exciting set that was fairly well done. it makes sense, UA is stationed in Baltimore. the colors work so well together when used in proper balance. i think they needed a helmet with a logo on it, but not for recognition reasons. they are full on and uniquely Maryland. seeing all those colors and patterns together in the stands creates a scene with a lot of energy and pride.

the school colors rule that comes up often with Oregon isnt much of an argument. if you see volt and carbon does any other team come to mind? Oregon/Nike has altered the school colors (always green and yellow) and mixed them with neutrals and patterns on a simple and strong template that has increased the brand awareness 10x. its strengthened the identity. and its always done well. maybe a bit "loud" for somes taste but its good design and great branding. Oregon's football program and approach to the game allows it to work. thats the difference between Oregon and Maryland here. Oregon declared themselves an outlaw brand with a different mindset from the norm, then got the uniforms and identity to reflet that. Maryland is jumping on off brand trends but, for the most part, get people to pay attention and the young fans should like it.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the school colors rule that comes up often with Oregon isnt much of an argument. if you see volt and carbon does any other team come to mind?

That doesn't make it right. College football is a game of tradition and throwing out a school's colors is antithetical to the very idea of tradition.

God damn, those are some good looking non-school-colored uniforms if I've ever seen em. However I bet Kevin feels differently.....

I guess you missed the post about not baiting other members since you're new here.

I thought the art & design community were progressive?

We're not part of the standard art and design community.

Exactly, and there's a fine line between being creative, and having to go back to the drawing board because the concept doesn't work. This simply doesn't work. It's an eyesore, nothing more, nothing less. Being progessive is about making progress, not retarding your look and looking like Two-Face in football cleats.

the school colors rule that comes up often with Oregon isnt much of an argument. if you see volt and carbon does any other team come to mind?

That doesn't make it right. College football is a game of tradition and throwing out a school's colors is antithetical to the very idea of tradition.

God damn, those are some good looking non-school-colored uniforms if I've ever seen em. However I bet Kevin feels differently.....

I guess you missed the post about not baiting other members since you're new here.

"Right?" Seriously?

OK, I am one of this board's grumpy old men, and I go for tradition over nonsense 99% of the time. And these Maryland uniforms are seriously overdone.

But that helmet... that's just a nice piece of design work. Come on, take out expectations, hell, forget for a minute you've ever seen a football game. That is just a nice piece of visual work. If one of my students brought that in as a prototype, I'd hand him/her an A and excuse him/her for the rest of the semester.

Reminds me of when the Bengals first showed off the stripes. Everyone went apesh!# but now it's considered a classic.

I'd wear that helmet above a relatively plain uniform (red jersey, white pants, minimal trim) and call it a day. The uniform giberish just steals the thunder and muddies up the effect.

I'm surpised to be saying this but, I'm a big fan.

Agree with you, every word.

Plus, I think the turtle shell look is really stupid.

newsig.jpg

yes it does. thats what an outlaw brand does. and its often met with resistance. Nike is doing it right with Oregon

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

OK, I am one of this board's grumpy old men, and I go for tradition over nonsense 99% of the time. And these Maryland uniforms are seriously overdone.

But that helmet... that's just a nice piece of design work. Come on, take out expectations, hell, forget for a minute you've ever seen a football game. That is just a nice piece of visual work. If one of my students brought that in as a prototype, I'd hand him/her an A and excuse him/her for the rest of the semester.

Reminds me of when the Bengals first showed off the stripes. Everyone went apesh!# but now it's considered a classic.

I'd wear that helmet above a relatively plain uniform (red jersey, white pants, minimal trim) and call it a day. The uniform giberish just steals the thunder and muddies up the effect.

I'm surpised to be saying this but, I'm a big fan.

This is the comment I've been looking for! This is one of the absolute best helmets ever to take the field. Problem is, the helmet is such a bold statement that the crazy-ass jersey makes the whole ensemble way over the top and lessens the impact of the helmet. Pair the helmet with a simple jersey and pant design, and you've got a great, great uniform.

I love the yin-yang look and the duality of the colors in the flag/helmet. I would carry it through and do a home uniform with a black and gold jersey with white and red pants, then I would do a road uniform with a white and red jersey and black and gold pants. The key is to keep them simple to let the helmet speak as the focal point.

Thirded.

As others have said, the helmet is a beautiful piece of design. And I don't mind the uniform at all, but the deal breaker for me is that the jersey and helmet have the same design on each respective side. This would look better (and capture the vibe they are going for even better) if either the uniform or helmet designs were reversed. That way it would truly mimic the Maryland flag and get rid of the he/she spilt as JohnnySeoul put it.

jNTsTyQ.png

I won't add it to the actual topic because this is actually irrelevant to it, but I'd like to submit every player on Maryland's roster as being in the wrong uniforms because those uniforms are so very wrong.

You know, now that oldschoolvikings brought up the Bengals' helmet...it's kind of changing my opinion on Maryland helmet as a whole. If paired with the right uniform (preferrably simpler, but with traces of a similar element - like the Boomer-era Bengals), it would probably work much better. With the uniform as it is now, though, it's overkill. The helmet AND the flag jersey simply cannot work together - either pair the jersey with a simpler helmet, or pair the helmet with a simpler uniform.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

You know, now that oldschoolvikings brought up the Bengals' helmet...it's kind of changing my opinion on Maryland helmet as a whole. If paired with the right uniform (preferrably simpler, but with traces of a similar element - like the Boomer-era Bengals), it's a beauty. With the uniform as it is now, though, it's overkill. The helmet AND the flag jersey simply cannot work together - either pair the jersey with a simpler helmet, or pair the helmet with a simpler uniform.

Excellent point! Maybe pair the helmet with the new set such as this:

Picture_174.png

spacer.png

I don't really have a preference when it comes to traditional vs. modern uniforms.

I used to dislike Oregon's uniforms, then they grew on me. A lot. Probably one of my top 3 favorite sets in the NCAA...

Now these, I'm trying so hard to dislike them. But they're just beautiful. It's so out of the box it's scary, but the fact that they're so well thought-out and the fact that there is actually meaning behind the craziness, makes these very hard to hate on. Atleast for me.

Beautiful. Still not a fan of Under Armour's work (specifically with there pants/ass stripes), but this is nice.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

This is the comment I've been looking for! This is one of the absolute best helmets ever to take the field. Problem is, the helmet is such a bold statement that the crazy-ass jersey makes the whole ensemble way over the top and lessens the impact of the helmet. Pair the helmet with a simple jersey and pant design, and you've got a great, great uniform.

Yep. Excellent analysis.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived