THOSE MARYLAND UNIFORMS

dbackdiehard17

the school colors rule that comes up often with Oregon isnt much of an argument. if you see volt and carbon does any other team come to mind?

That doesn't make it right. College football is a game of tradition and throwing out a school's colors is antithetical to the very idea of tradition.

God damn, those are some good looking non-school-colored uniforms if I've ever seen em. However I bet Kevin feels differently.....

I guess you missed the post about not baiting other members since you're new here.

Depends on what you think the point of a school's football program is. If it's to promote the actual college as a learning institution and get kids who are watching the game to say "I want to get my finance degree from there", then you're correct. If you look at the football program as a separate entity with the goal to get fans and attract recruits, then it really is no different than a NFL team changing it's colors or re-branding every few years. I'd argue that in this day and age, a school's football program has little connection to it's academic mission (and school colors are really meaningless anyway outside of athletics), and therefore Oregon has done a fantastic job of establishing a brand that is recognized by kids nationwide.

I'd also argue that regardless of any merit, nobody takes your posts seriously because all you do is degrade Oregon at every opportunity.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the school colors rule that comes up often with Oregon isnt much of an argument. if you see volt and carbon does any other team come to mind?

That doesn't make it right. College football is a game of tradition and throwing out a school's colors is antithetical to the very idea of tradition.

God damn, those are some good looking non-school-colored uniforms if I've ever seen em. However I bet Kevin feels differently.....

I guess you missed the post about not baiting other members since you're new here.

Depends on what you think the point of a school's football program is. If it's to promote the actual college as a learning institution and get kids who are watching the game to say "I want to get my finance degree from there", then you're correct. If you look at the football program as a separate entity with the goal to get fans and attract recruits, then it really is no different than a NFL team changing it's colors or re-branding every few years. I'd argue that in this day and age, a school's football program has little connection to it's academic mission (and school colors are really meaningless anyway outside of athletics), and therefore Oregon has done a fantastic job of establishing a brand that is recognized by kids nationwide.

I'd also argue that regardless of any merit, nobody takes your posts seriously because all you do is trash Oregon at every opportunity.

You left out the "talking down to fellow posters" bit.

I'd also argue that regardless of any merit, nobody takes your posts seriously because all you do is trash Oregon at every opportunity.

I'm opinionated. So what?

I think you missed the point of Vet's post... he didn't say there was anything wrong with being opinionated. He said the way you state those opinions makes everyone either annoyed at you, or just tune you out.

Hell, I actually agree with most of your uniform opinions, and I cringe at most of your posts these days.

You have an agenda that is motivated by factors other than art / design. It doesn't matter that you veil said agenda behind an argument of tradition and a desire to see school colors used in a uniform (which would otherwise be valid points), you've established that you have some immature issue with Oregon and are going to take shots at every opportunity, and that has essentially rendered all of your posts that have anything to do with them to be meaningless.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't have any issue with Oregon. It just so happens that they are the most visible example of what I believe (opinion) to be what's wrong with college football uniforms. It makes me extremely concerned about the future because our AD visited the Nike facilities lately and I don't want to see us become a Nike guinea pig. Trust me, the fact that they're a Pac-12 rival has nothing to do with it.

As I've said on other occasions, I don't hate everything that Nike does. My beef with Oregon lies solely with their lack of school colors. The wing design is great. Oregon's uniforms would be near perfect if they just stuck to green and yellow jerseys.

the school colors rule that comes up often with Oregon isnt much of an argument. if you see volt and carbon does any other team come to mind? Oregon/Nike has altered the school colors (always green and yellow) and mixed them with neutrals and patterns on a simple and strong template that has increased the brand awareness 10x. its strengthened the identity.

Name another college team wearing Kelly and yellow. It's not that easy. We're not talking black and red or blue and gold. Oregon already had an identifiable look. They started with tweaks, and while I hated it at first, it grew on me. Their new palette and half-assed excuse of change being tradition doesn't grow on me. The inmates are running the asylum. As a side note, the ducks yearbook for the 2011 season has players in the throwbacks on the cover. Odd choice.

You have an agenda that is motivated by factors other than art / design. It doesn't matter that you veil said agenda behind an argument of tradition and a desire to see school colors used in a uniform (which would otherwise be valid points), you've established that you have some immature issue with Oregon and are going to take shots at every opportunity, and that has essentially rendered all of your posts that have anything to do with them to be meaningless.

I'm just curious, and am not defend Kevin in any way, but if I dislike a team, and dislike a prototype/alternate uniform they decide to trot out, does that instantly mean that I have an agenda too? I'm just wondering, because that's some fairly shaky logic to use on someone if they happen to dislike a team, as well as dislike whatever identity they try to force upon those of us (as long as the reasoning is legit) who really pay attention to this kind of thing when it comes to sports.

A quick Photoshop flip of the helmets...taken from mr.baseball's screen shots..thanks.

MDHelmetflip.png

The haters are still gonna hate...but it does look a better IMHO.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

I'm just curious, and am not defend Kevin in any way, but if I dislike a team, and dislike a prototype/alternate uniform they decide to trot out, does that instantly mean that I have an agenda too? I'm just wondering, because that's some fairly shaky logic to use on someone if they happen to dislike a team, as well as dislike whatever identity they try to force upon those of us (as long as the reasoning is legit) who really pay attention to this kind of thing when it comes to sports.

No, of course not. I even said that some of his points were valid. But when you make so many posts against a school in other areas of the forum that it makes it clear that there's an agenda there, it completely discredits any otherwise legitimate criticism that you'd post.

the school colors rule that comes up often with Oregon isnt much of an argument. if you see volt and carbon does any other team come to mind? Oregon/Nike has altered the school colors (always green and yellow) and mixed them with neutrals and patterns on a simple and strong template that has increased the brand awareness 10x. its strengthened the identity.

Name another college team wearing Kelly and yellow. It's not that easy. We're not talking black and red or blue and gold. Oregon already had an identifiable look. They started with tweaks, and while I hated it at first, it grew on me. Their new palette and half-assed excuse of change being tradition doesn't grow on me. The inmates are running the asylum. As a side note, the ducks yearbook for the 2011 season has players in the throwbacks on the cover. Odd choice.

kelly and yellow dosnt communicate who the are now. i dont believe it works with black, or carbon, or graphite or whatever else either. the altered colors do that. they speak to who they want to attract, and communicate their message. theres no question they have set the modern standard, so many want to be like them. especially UA/Maryland. they just havent gotten WHY it works for Oregon and instead jumped on their product success. like anyone else who built a tablet after the iPad came out.the brand is a huge success

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Okay... am I the only one who's a little annoyed by ESPN mentioning what LeBron had to say about Maryland's uniforms on Twitter?

Guess what, ESPN, I don't care about what LeBron thinks about Maryland's uniforms, he's no more qualified to speak on that, the stock market, or what it takes to win a championship, so quit pandering to the man.

I must say, I'm about as big of Nike die hard as there is. Every single shirt I own is a Nike college. I own every Pro Combat shirt released as part of a collection. Tonight I will admit that Under Armour kicked the :censored: out of Nike if making a Pro Combat haha. I wish Nike had released something this cool. I loved the looked! In my personal opinion, I sure hope Nike has some great things in store for the remaining '11 Pro Combats. (oh and +1 on Lebron James ^^^)

Archived