THOSE MARYLAND UNIFORMS

dbackdiehard17

It works for Oregon because they WIN. I honestly think that's how they're able to get away with going against the grain.

Let Maryland continue to wear these, make a BCS bowl game very other year, and see if this clown suit doesn't catch on like the Ducks. ;)

6uXNWAo.png

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, Maryland's...ahem...uniforms, wow. :shocked: Did Under Armour have a "hey, let's trip on acid and see what we come up with" design session or something? I've never seen a uniform so...absurd comical. Were they trying to make people laugh? If they were, well, it worked. Those uniforms have to be the pinnacle of this God-awful "pro combat/how ridiculous can we look" thing, right? (yeah, I know Maryland is an Under Armour school but Nike started this nonsense.) Seriously, where can it go from here? Never mind. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough. Oregon won't let this go unchallenged.

The sad thing is Maryland won wearing those things. That means we'll probably be subjected to them again.

BB52Big.jpg

I thought they looked amazing... especially for a one time thing. I know they aren't as great as precious Penn State's amazing uniforms (so creative, and bold) but I thought they did a great job of representing their school and their state in a unique and believe it or not, not toooooo over the top way. Maryland has the best flag in the United States. Why not flaunt the hell out of it?

I know though, new/different = bad. Paul Lukas has probably already jumped off a bridge. This is probably worse than 9/11 for him.

90758391980.gif

So, Maryland's...ahem...uniforms, wow. :shocked: Did Under Armour have a "hey, let's trip on acid and see what we come up with" design session or something? I've never seen a uniform so...absurd comical. Were they trying to make people laugh? If they were, well, it worked. Those uniforms have to be the pinnacle of this God-awful "pro combat/how ridiculous can we look" thing, right? (yeah, I know Maryland is an Under Armour school but Nike started this nonsense.) Seriously, where can it go from here? Never mind. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough. Oregon won't let this go unchallenged.

The sad thing is Maryland won wearing those things. That means we'll probably be subjected to them again.

You're not the first to come to that conclusion, Red.

Well, it's not like it was a difficult conclusion to reach.

BB52Big.jpg

Oregon won't let this go unchallenged.

This is where the uniforms will get unbearably atrocious. Nike and UA will keep trying to one-up each other to the point where helmets will be made out of BigMac containers and jerseys will look like the baby of a rainbow and a smurf was conceived upon it.

Oregon won't let this go unchallenged.

This is where the uniforms will get unbearably atrocious. Nike and UA will keep trying to one-up each other to the point where helmets will be made out of BigMac containers and jerseys will look like the baby of a rainbow and a smurf was conceived upon it.

I'd actually like to see that.

BB52Big.jpg

I thought they looked amazing... especially for a one time thing. I know they aren't as great as precious Penn State's amazing uniforms (so creative, and bold) but I thought they did a great job of representing their school and their state in a unique and believe it or not, not toooooo over the top way. Maryland has the best flag in the United States. Why not flaunt the hell out of it?

I know though, new/different = bad. Paul Lukas has probably already jumped off a bridge. This is probably worse than 9/11 for him.

Don't get my hopes up :P All kidding aside, I used to like UniWatch just because it was the only blog I could really find with uni news. Now I think Paul Lukas is a chump who gets more respect than deserved. While I can respect an opinion, I just think way too people take his opinion as the "right" decision on whether something is good or bad.

Well, it's not like it was a difficult conclusion to reach. Besides, I wasn't trying to be "first", I was simply illustrating my point.

So was I. I just remember first seeing those uniforms and without thinking about anything else I immediately thought "acid-trip."

I just can't wait for the meth-inspired Oregon jerseys, those will be a sight to see.

So basically you're saying Oregon's message isn't about Oregon anymore, it's just LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME!

Well, that's obvious. You're missing the point (again). Shouldn't you be railing on ASU's look? Personally, I agree with you about Oregon's branding, but that doesn't matter in the big picture as many actual designers have patiently told you. It's not about what you and I think, Kev.

newsig.jpg

So basically you're saying Oregon's message isn't about Oregon anymore, it's just LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME!

Well, that's obvious. You're missing the point (again). Shouldn't you be railing on ASU's look? Personally, I agree with you about Oregon's branding, but that doesn't matter in the big picture as many actual designers have patiently told you. It's not about what you and I think, Kev.

I have railed on ASU's look, but since my problem is about schools not using their colors properly, my complaints about ASU are limited. Their design could be worse but at least the majority of it is maroon, gold and white. Once again, you guys assume that I let rivalry cloud my judgment on this stuff which just isn't true.

I have railed on ASU's look, but since my problem is about schools not using their colors properly, my complaints about ASU are limited. Their design could be worse but at least the majority of it is maroon, gold and white. Once again, you guys assume that I let rivalry cloud my judgment on this stuff which just isn't true.

for the record, that was never my assumption. i see this a lot on the board but not with you. i dont think, i dont read every thread. but i think you should let go of the "rule" you have for college football identities having to bide by old traditions. hate Oregon because its not your taste? fine by me, not everyone is supposed to like it. hate them for doing something new thats actually fairly well designed? thats dangerous to creativity.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I just can't wait for the meth-inspired Oregon jerseys, those will be a sight to see.

They could make the facemasks look like rotting teeth.

Well, that could work for the mouth-piece, but yeah, you got the idea.

I wonder if there's a way to make a helmet look like this...

meth_transformation_5.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

I'm ok with uniforms making a statement, but these actually have consistently detracted from the game itself.

Side note: conspicuously absent from their unveiling photo shoot uni combos are red-yellow. 14 of the 16 possible jersey-pants combos were modeled, but not red-yellow or yellow-red. That turtle print helmet was very interesting...

ujsignature.png

the school colors rule that comes up often with Oregon isnt much of an argument. if you see volt and carbon does any other team come to mind?

We have been over this before. A team can't have an identity built around having no identity. As long as other schools are willing to wear random, garish crap, Oregon won't be alone. As for the colors, yes, they have worn carbon and volt for the past two years, and it's no coincidence that volt has been featured prominently in Nike's product line. So carbon and volt aren't part of their identity, they are random interchangeable colors which Nike is using for the time being to push their products. Volt and carbon won't be seen two years from now.

As for Maryland, the uniforms were terrible. The helmets are... interesting. I really like the idea. In theory, they could work well with toned-down uniforms. However, these just don't work in reality. You just can't have a helmet where the two sides are entirely different (nobody mention the Steelers). The fact that two teammates facing each other look like they are on different teams is just too much. They work in theory, not in practice.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

[hate Oregon because its not your taste? fine by me, not everyone is supposed to like it. hate them for doing something new thats actually fairly well designed? thats dangerous to creativity.

Well said. I don't care at all for most of Oregon's looks but I sure appreciate their creativity.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived