History of the Texas Longhorn Logo

tuffytoro

Texas did wear burnt orange under Coach Jack Chevigny from 1934-36. One of the reasons Royal took Horns went back to it was that the darker shade hid the football better. I do wish Royal had left the center stripe on the UT helmets.

Great article, thanks for posting it tuffy.

LehQRaC.png

Darrell Royal got it.

There's a lesson to be learned by all who read that article, as well as every aspiring graphic artist and/or sports designer in the world today--shoot, even established veterans of the business. And, not that its going to happen in this current modern day and age dog-eat-dog world of one-upping-the-Joneses that's done pervaded college athletic aesthetics, but its a lesson the various apparel manufacturers could stand to learn, or re-familiarize themselves with, as well.

Wonderfully written piece there.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

That logo and I were born the same year.

Interestingly, the now famous Longhorn head was not the dominant image on UT apparel or fan gear until the 1980s. Growing up in Texas through the 1960s and 70s I never saw it used on anything. Instead, a variety of other Longhorn logos and designs were used. I wonder if that image became the dominant feature as a result of merchandise licensing?

FsQiF2W.png

Interestingly, the now famous Longhorn head was not the dominant image on UT apparel or fan gear until the 1980s. Growing up in Texas through the 1960s and 70s I never saw it used on anything. Instead, a variety of other Longhorn logos and designs were used. I wonder if that image became the dominant feature as a result of merchandise licensing?

I was born in 1982 and don't remember it much either. It was usually the more detailed head-on longhorn.

heritagebanner15-2.jpg

I was born in 1982 and don't remember it much either. It was usually the more detailed head-on longhorn.

heritagebanner15-2.jpg

Love to see/read this kind of stuff. Really like the current version and was surprised that it was from the 50s. A true classic that should remain for year and years to come.

Archived