Entire KHL team killed in plane crash

Milo Meningocele

Guys, it just goes to show you a few things, particularly that any day can be your last and that you should live it accordingly; but also that when you step into an aircraft, you're quite literally putting your life in the hands of forces that you simply cannot control. Both sobering thoughts.

This said, I'm honestly surprised this hasn't hit a major North American professional sports team yet. With all the air travel they do (including ridiculous things like flying from New York to Philadelphia, New York to Boston, etc.), cross-continent travel and in many cases more games, it's far more likely to happen with the NFL, MLB, NBA or NHL than any other professional sport worldwide. While I'm not averse to flying (in fact, I kind of enjoy it), if I were given the option of flying to some of the cities leagues travel from/to versus taking a bus or even driving myself, I'd probably opt to hit the road first.

Unfortunately, it's probably not a matter of if, but when.

First, my sympathies for the deceased, their families, and their fans on here. Terrible tragedy indeed.

I have often wondered what would happen if this occurred to a major league team in the United States. Would the team just fold? Would the team restock itself like an expansion team? How would schedules and standings be affected? I'd imagine each league has a disaster plan in case of something like this. We've seen college basketball teams and NASCAR teams die in crashes, so it feels like it would be inevitable at some point.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys, it just goes to show you a few things, particularly that any day can be your last and that you should live it accordingly; but also that when you step into an aircraft, you're quite literally putting your life in the hands of forces that you simply cannot control. Both sobering thoughts.

This said, I'm honestly surprised this hasn't hit a major North American professional sports team yet. With all the air travel they do (including ridiculous things like flying from New York to Philadelphia, New York to Boston, etc.), cross-continent travel and in many cases more games, it's far more likely to happen with the NFL, MLB, NBA or NHL than any other professional sport worldwide. While I'm not averse to flying (in fact, I kind of enjoy it), if I were given the option of flying to some of the cities leagues travel from/to versus taking a bus or even driving myself, I'd probably opt to hit the road first.

First, my sympathies for the deceased, their families, and their fans on here. Terrible tragedy indeed.

I have often wondered what would happen if this occurred to a major league team in the United States. Would the team just fold? Would the team restock itself like an expansion team? How would schedules and standings be affected? I'd imagine each league has a disaster plan in case of something like this. We've seen college basketball teams and NASCAR teams die in crashes, so it feels like it would be inevitable at some point.

Here is the NHL plan. It came out in the Coyotes filings.

It’s horrible to consider — a plane crash wipes out an entire NHL team — but the league has thought about it nonetheless.

That’s why the league requires teams to have a $1-million (all figures US) insurance policy on each player, one of the provisos in the NHL bylaws made public over the weekend in court filings regarding the bankruptcy of the Phoenix Coyotes.

If a team is left with fewer than 14 players and one goaltender following some sort of catastrophe, the league sets in motion its Emergency Rehabilitation Plan.

First, the “disabled team” would be allowed to negotiate to buy players under contract from other teams, with payment coming from the insurance money.

If that didn’t fill out the roster, a draft would be held, much like an expansion draft. Teams could protect 10 players and one goalie.

The disabled team would be allowed to take no more than one player from each of the other teams. The price for each player is $1 million in insurance money.

http://www.metronews.ca/edmonton/sports/article/241904--nhl-bylaws-cover-worst-case-scenarios

I'm sure the league would postpone all games for a few weeks out of respect for those who passed away and to allow time in order to re-stock the rosters.

I'm guessing all the leagues have a similar plan in place.

Well Lokomotiv's website is back up: There's a picture of the team with some Russian (since it's a picture and not in the text, I'm not sure what it means). Clicking the picture takes you to a guestbook. You'll have to be registered at the site to post.

Also going through the KHL's English page, the season is postponed until the 12th, with a memorial at Arena 2000 on the 10th. Any decisions about replenishing the team will not be made until after the service.

soundersbanner.png

I can translate the page fine but the text is in the picture, and translate can't do that. However, scouring around I found a virtiual Russian keyboard, and typing them in and putting it through Google, I have this:

Our Team...

Forever...

Hockey fans! Colleagues! Friends!

Hockey club "Lokomotiv" suffered a terrible tragedy. Killed our team. Died on the rise. September 7, 2011 will forever remain a black date not only for the club, but for the world of sports. At the airport "Tunopna" crashed plane with players and coaches who went on the first match of the new season in Minsk.

It is impossible to realize that there is no one team that we were proud, in which faith and immensely loved. Life is not fair, but we can only accept this loss and move on. Live and play hockey for the sake of these children, in memory of them!

Hockey club "Lokomotiv" expresses its deepest sympathy to all relatives, friends dead! The whole world mourns with you!

Thanks to all who are in difficult light shows for us, an hour is being left out of grief! Thanks for the help, support and participation!

IN THE DAYS OF MOURNING THE SITE DOES MODE OF MEMORY

(the last two lines don't make much sense, but that's Google for you.)

soundersbanner.png

It took me a few days to deal with this, but here is my blog entry on Demitra and the crash.

http://thirdstringgoalie.blogspot.com/2011/09/2006-07-minnesota-wild-pavol-demitra.html

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Flying is safer than driving. A lot safer. This whole story reminds of We Are Marshall.

8026825156_0d03b8c868.jpg6864286734_be379a26d2_n.jpg

My fantasy teams: West Coast Cardinals (WRU), Glasgow Claymores (RLI) (Champions 2012) and Pemberton Foresters (VBL)

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

You know, seeing the footage of that memorial service really puts into perspective just what has happened, and how huge of a loss this is for the families, friends, fans, and Yaroslavl community. It got me thinking of what it'd be like if this happened to one of my teams - the Jazz, RSL, U of U - and how I'd personally be feeling as a fan. Just the mere thought of imagining myself at the ESA, Rio Tinto Stadium, Rice-Eccles, or wherever and doing what these fans are doing, paying respects to thier lost team....it's just a terrible, sinking thought. I completely feel for the families and friends of the team, and for the fans as well. To think that myself, with no connections to the team whatsoever, shed a few tears upon watching the memorial footage...I can't begin to imagine what those who have lost loved ones or thier heroes are feeling.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

You know, seeing the footage of that memorial service really puts into perspective just what has happened, and how huge of a loss this is for the families, friends, fans, and Yaroslavl community. It got me thinking of what it'd be like if this happened to one of my teams - the Jazz, RSL, U of U - and how I'd personally be feeling as a fan. Just the mere thought of imagining myself at the ESA, Rio Tinto Stadium, Rice-Eccles, or wherever and doing what these fans are doing, paying respects to thier lost team....it's just a terrible, sinking thought. I completely feel for the families and friends of the team, and for the fans as well. To think that myself, with no connections to the team whatsoever, shed a few tears upon watching the memorial footage...I can't begin to imagine what those who have lost loved ones or thier heroes are feeling.

I for one hope that is a day that you or I will never have to see my friend. This was just heartbreaking just to see the fans stand out there in the rain, it was like the rain symbolized tears falling from the heavens.

Like knnhrvy16, I'd hate to think what would that be like for if it was my team, if it was the Caps, the Ravens, the O's, The Squirrels etc... The fans would feel awful but the family & friends of these athletes, one report said one was retiring that this was his last season, another just got engaged to his girlfriend, others were ready to start a family.

It's stuff like that you read or hear that just hurts.

baltimoreravens.png

It sickens me that this tragedy has been all but ignored on ESPN, the Sports Leader. Seeing that footage captures the true scope of what happened, this must be considered a National Tragedy in Russia to get Putin to go to the Memorial Service today.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

It sickens me that this tragedy has been all but ignored on ESPN, the Sports Leader. Seeing that footage captures the true scope of what happened, this must be considered a National Tragedy in Russia to get Putin to go to the Memorial Service today.

They were covering a funeral all right; The ending of Peyton Manning's games streak.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Archived