Entire KHL team killed in plane crash

Milo Meningocele

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alexander Galinov is still alive. I hope he makes it through. I also wish there was an update on that one surviving crew member.

I'm not sure I agree Habsfan, burns on 80% of the body is a hellish experience, if they are able to manage his pain and some how let him live a normal life than I hope he makes it, but I can't imagine a worse living circumstance if they can't. I mean its going to be tough mentally when he gets out of his coma, and if he has to live in constant pain I don't want to see him go through that.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Alexander Galinov is still alive. I hope he makes it through. I also wish there was an update on that one surviving crew member.

I'm not sure I agree Habsfan, burns on 80% of the body is a hellish experience, if they are able to manage his pain and some how let him live a normal life than I hope he makes it, but I can't imagine a worse living circumstance if they can't. I mean its going to be tough mentally when he gets out of his coma, and if he has to live in constant pain I don't want to see him go through that.

I fully agree with your point. Part of me wants to see him live, but the other part of me knows that it would be hell for him to live the rest of his life in agony. It's a situation in which I have mixed emotions.

Also...

The one player who was cut from the flight speaks...

Taken from the Galimov link from Charger

"The only other person to survive, flight crew member Alexander Sizov, remained in intensive care at Moscow's Sklifosovsky hospital."

"The only other person to survive, flight crew member Alexander Sizov, remained in intensive care at Moscow's Sklifosovsky hospital."

Looks like he passed away Monday. He hung on as long as he could but 90% burns are just not very survivable. Terrible tragedy. Now we just need to hope the flight engineer hangs on.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/6960576/alexander-galimov-only-player-survive-russian-plane-crash-dies

Looks like he passed away Monday. He hung on as long as he could but 90% burns are just not very survivable. Terrible tragedy. Now we just need to hope the flight engineer hangs on.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/6960576/alexander-galimov-only-player-survive-russian-plane-crash-dies

I read somewhere that the doctors say the flight engineer's life is out of danger.

nyjets.pngHabs_button.jpg

UConn Huskies 2011 NCAA Men's Basketball Champions

Maybe now this is a time to heal the rift between leagues. According to president Medvedev

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/6965566/khl-president-looks-boost-nhl-ties-lokomotiv-plane-crash

MOSCOW -- The sense of shared grief after a plane crash that took the lives of 28 Lokomotiv Yaroslavl players could improve relations with the NHL, Continental Hockey League president Alexander Medvedev said Tuesday.

"I would like very much for this to be no mere surge of emotion, but that we move in step with each other," Medvedev said.

He plans to soon meet with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman to discuss how the two leagues can cooperate better.

"This was a tragedy for the entire family of hockey. Now we will consider our differences with the NHL in quite a different light," Medvedev said in a statement on the KHL website. "Through cooperation, we will ensure that hockey is made better than is possible when we are divided or in isolation."

baltimoreravens.png

Here is the NHL plan. It came out in the Coyotes filings.

Its horrible to consider a plane crash wipes out an entire NHL team but the league has thought about it nonetheless.

Thats why the league requires teams to have a $1-million (all figures US) insurance policy on each player, one of the provisos in the NHL bylaws made public over the weekend in court filings regarding the bankruptcy of the Phoenix Coyotes.

If a team is left with fewer than 14 players and one goaltender following some sort of catastrophe, the league sets in motion its Emergency Rehabilitation Plan.

First, the disabled team would be allowed to negotiate to buy players under contract from other teams, with payment coming from the insurance money.

If that didnt fill out the roster, a draft would be held, much like an expansion draft. Teams could protect 10 players and one goalie.

The disabled team would be allowed to take no more than one player from each of the other teams. The price for each player is $1 million in insurance money.

http://www.metronews.ca/edmonton/sports/article/241904--nhl-bylaws-cover-worst-case-scenarios

I'm sure the league would postpone all games for a few weeks out of respect for those who passed away and to allow time in order to re-stock the rosters.

I'm guessing all the leagues have a similar plan in place.

Thanks, jkrdevil. This is interesting.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Archived