NFL players tribute to 9/11

ridenlow71

Part of this seems very touching, another part of it seems like a ploy to make Goodell look bad.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly. Anyone who "represents" in a way that brings more attention to them than tangible benefit to the actual people involved is a shameless huckster.

Donate cash, Mr. Concerned Player, and then play dress-up games.

I think we can file this in the same category as all of the other tributes that weve argued about in the last few years. They all have seemed more selfish than selfless regardless of the tribute. Is it not enough to simply be part of the entire pre game remembrance as opposed to drawing attention to yourself? Hey, I'm a Bears fan and I think Lance Briggs' so called tribute is total crap. There's absolutely no need to set yourself apart from the rest of the players. If anything, you would want to stand UNITED as people did 10 years ago.

Ah, but then he wouldn't be able to co-opt one of the darkest days in American history for his own personal gain.

When I think back to the odd ways that I tried to come to grips with what happened on 9/11 or my father's death a couple years later, I find it difficult to judge anyone on how they honor or greive. Some people write songs, some paint, some write, some put a flag outside or wear FDNY hats and shirts. Honestly if these players want to do this it's fine to me. If a fan wants to support his team with a flag as well or in the logo that's fine to me as well.

Nobody knows what the proper way to grieve or honor is because there isn't a wrong answer. I'd feel awful if someone judged me for trying to make a flash video after 9/11 of images and songs. That's how I processed that. Or if someone thought taking a week off work wasn't enough or was too much time after my dad's death. Or the fact I want to get our family crest tattooed on me to honor him.

It's not right for you, but it's right for me and it may be right for them as well.

When I think back to the odd ways that I tried to come to grips with what happened on 9/11 or my father's death a couple years later, I find it difficult to judge anyone on how they honor or greive. Some people write songs, some paint, some write, some put a flag outside or wear FDNY hats and shirts. Honestly if these players want to do this it's fine to me. If a fan wants to support his team with a flag as well or in the logo that's fine to me as well.

Nobody knows what the proper way to grieve or honor is because there isn't a wrong answer. I'd feel awful if someone judged me for trying to make a flash video after 9/11 of images and songs. That's how I processed that. Or if someone thought taking a week off work wasn't enough or was too much time after my dad's death. Or the fact I want to get our family crest tattooed on me to honor him.

It's not right for you, but it's right for me and it may be right for them as well.

Apparently there's few in this thread don't seem to have much of a problem. 100% agreed with everything here.

A point that would make sense if they were actually selling those particular accessories, like they sell their regular ones, then I would agree. But if there just making the the accessories for the players, or donating all the proceeds to 9/11 victims (if they actually sell them) then I don't see the need for the derision.

Exactly. Anyone who "represents" in a way that brings more attention to them than tangible benefit to the actual people involved is a shameless huckster.

Donate cash, Mr. Concerned Player, and then play dress-up games.

I think we can file this in the same category as all of the other tributes that weve argued about in the last few years. They all have seemed more selfish than selfless regardless of the tribute. Is it not enough to simply be part of the entire pre game remembrance as opposed to drawing attention to yourself? Hey, I'm a Bears fan and I think Lance Briggs' so called tribute is total crap. There's absolutely no need to set yourself apart from the rest of the players. If anything, you would want to stand UNITED as people did 10 years ago.

Ah, but then he wouldn't be able to co-opt one of the darkest days in American history for his own personal gain.

I've already lost respect for this guy with his incessant grumbling about his contract and insistence to always make it about himself. This just adds to the mix.

[

Is it really the players making it about them, or is it because the league is fighting them and the media has picked up on the story.

I think its BOTH. To be honest, it sounds like a power struggle more than anything else. I also think the league realized it probably messed up by not being a little bit more proactive about the decision they inevitably were forced to make. How does the saying go? "Getting caught with egg on your face"

i don't understand how brightly colored and extravagantly adorned equipment is a tribute to those who died.

maybe i'm just a somber jerk, but the whole "red, white, and blue america woot!" attitude towards 9/11 always seemed strange to me. i pay respects to tragic events with the color black. and simple understated design.

if i were a player/team that wanted to pay tribute, i'd likely put a black ribbon patch with 9/11/01 written on there somewhere. it wasn't just americans that died that day, and if i had been a victim of those attacks, i'd prefer to not be remembered simply by brightly colored american flag designs.

those make sense for the fourth of july. a festive celebration of the founding of a nation... not so much to remember a tragic cheapshot attack in which many died horrible deaths.

but then again, i'm more of a "moment of silence" kind of guy.

i just don't see the connection between overt patriotism and honoring victims of a terrorist attack. i didn't in 2001/2002, and i don't in 2011.

i don't understand how brightly colored and extravagantly adorned equipment is a tribute to those who died.

maybe i'm just a somber jerk, but the whole "red, white, and blue america woot!" attitude towards 9/11 always seemed strange to me. i pay respects to tragic events with the color black. and simple understated design.

if i were a player/team that wanted to pay tribute, i'd likely put a black ribbon patch with 9/11/01 written on there somewhere. it wasn't just americans that died that day, and if i had been a victim of those attacks, i'd prefer to not be remembered simply by brightly colored american flag designs.

those make sense for the fourth of july. a festive celebration of the founding of a nation... not so much to remember a tragic cheapshot attack in which many died horrible deaths.

but then again, i'm more of a "moment of silence" kind of guy.

i just don't see the connection between overt patriotism and honoring victims of a terrorist attack. i didn't in 2001/2002, and i don't in 2011.

Well, I am sorry you don't see the honor in honoring the memory of Americans! I feel so sorry for people who are not proud of the red, white, and blue. Yet, that is why we fight for each persons individual right, but that doesn't mean that I do not understand it.

There is no reason an individual player needs to wear red, white and blue to make a giant statement. It's all about pandering and saying "I'm more patriotic than you, just look at my shoes and gloves!!!"

League wide, there will be ceremonies and moments of silence. Everyone will be wearing ribbons. Anything beyond that is extraneous and just serves to bring more attention to the individual player.

We get it. It's 9/11. It was the most horrifying terrorist attack on U.S. soil. We don't need constant "never forget" references to remember the event, nor the lives of those lost. If you need to wear obnoxious flag-patterned clothing and accessories to let you and others know that you remember the date, are you really honoring the dead?

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived