Sports Teams Honoring 9/11

Pharos04

NEW YORK (AP) — Major League Baseball has denied the New York Mets' request to wear baseball caps honoring New York City emergency service departments for their game against the Chicago Cubs on the 10th anniversary of the 2001 terrorist attacks.

Joe Torre, MLB's executive vice president for baseball operations, told The Associated Press the decision was made to keep policy consistent throughout baseball and that "certainly, it's not a lack of respect."

The Mets wanted to wear caps Sunday night honoring police, firefighters and other first responders like the ones they wore on Sept. 21, 2001 in the first sporting event in New York after the World Trade Center attacks collapse 10 days earlier.

MLB issued a league-wide memo, saying teams must wear their everyday caps with a small flag on the side.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

NEW YORK (AP) ? Major League Baseball has denied the New York Mets' request to wear baseball caps honoring New York City emergency service departments for their game against the Chicago Cubs on the 10th anniversary of the 2001 terrorist attacks.

Joe Torre, MLB's executive vice president for baseball operations, told The Associated Press the decision was made to keep policy consistent throughout baseball and that "certainly, it's not a lack of respect."

The Mets wanted to wear caps Sunday night honoring police, firefighters and other first responders like the ones they wore on Sept. 21, 2001 in the first sporting event in New York after the World Trade Center attacks collapse 10 days earlier.

MLB issued a league-wide memo, saying teams must wear their everyday caps with a small flag on the side.

Good for MLB. The nonsense has to stop eventually.

And besides, the FDNY/NYPD hats aren't available for purchase in MLB's online store.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Yes, they do.

And everyone who roots against the Yankees hates America and wants the terrorists to win. :P

POTD?

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

NEW YORK (AP) ? Major League Baseball has denied the New York Mets' request to wear baseball caps honoring New York City emergency service departments for their game against the Chicago Cubs on the 10th anniversary of the 2001 terrorist attacks.

Good for MLB. The nonsense has to stop eventually.

Not sure if I'd call memorializing a tragic event as "nonsense".

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I know the Lance Briggs thread got heated and I felt strongly that individuals breaking the dress code was a problem. But in the case, I am OK with the Mets request. It's a team, a New York team, making this request. The request was not unreasonable. However, I also have no problem with the request being denied. If MLB decided it had the proper "amount" of tribute and wanted to maintain league-wide consistency, then that's fine by me...you don't have to always have more tribute just because it's possible to do so. It's not like MLB ignored the anniversary. And I have absolutely no reason not to believe Torre's statement that the decision was not made out of disrespect.

I guess that's a lot of typing to display my "neutral" stance

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Not sure if I'd call memorializing a tragic event as "nonsense".

Memorializing a tragic even is not nonsense. But there are nonsensical ways to do it. As I said, I was comfortable either way with MLB's decision on the Mets.

Most of what I am hearing is "the NFL should allow the red/white/blue gloves and shoes." And forget the other issues (e.g., whether Reebok was cashing in, etc...). What if a player had said "I am having our seamstress remove the numbers from my uniform and replace them with uniform numbers with a flag pattern." Would that be OK? Whenever there is potential to do "more" visual tribute, is it automatically right? Would there be no circumstance under which the NFL or MLB should say "no"? If Lance Briggs, ditched his regular Bears pants for Zubaz-looking red/white/blue, the NFL would have said "no" and probably taken some heat. But I bet most people would have agreed with the NFL and that Briggs' star-spangled pants were "nonsense."

These things did not happen, but the point is that it could reach "nonsense" level and someone (Goodell, I guess) has to draw the line.

I don't know about my goofy phony scenarios...maybe I should have left it at: "Memorializing a tragic even is not nonsense. But there are nonsensical ways to do it."

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived