High School Idenity- Revised

CAB

Some of you may have seen this topic before, where my goal was to come up with a unique identity for my high school, rather than using the same stock logos we always do. I recently went back and looked at my logos, and I didn't really like them. They just weren't very agressive IMO. So with these new and improved logos, I hope to give these logos some life and hopefully have something that I could present to the school at some point if they'd be willing to use it. The primary logo is the same general indian head I had before, just more aggressive-looking as I said. I also created a spear logo that could be used on our football helmets, as well as in some alternate logos. I hope it's not too similar to Florida State, I honestly never looked at that logo while creating this. The other alternate logos are a "PHS" above the spear, the indian head above "PONCA" and a shield of sorts with two spears crossed in front. C&C would be fantastic, I really would love for my school to use this at some point, so I want it to be as good as can be. Just to give you an idea of how this started out, the original indian head logo I created is posted beneath the alternate logos.

6137173497_2c5637aa7e_b.jpg

6137719838_dec401ef1f_b.jpg

6137144921_4501c2bdf0_m.jpg

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Needs more research. That's really all I can say. You need to do more research into human features and how they connect and interact to create a face. Look at good quality black and white portrait photography to see where shadows and highlights should fall. Look for tutorials on drawing comics, they're perfect for simplifying heads for logos and will give you usefull advice on facial expressions and how to make faces look aggressive. Just making the shapes pointy doesn't do the job.

You also need to do more research on Native American dress. Im no expert but that headdress doesn't look like it's sitting on the head correctly. I'd also look at the way the neck just stops in a horizontal line. Right now it looks like the poor guy's had his head cut off. Think about using naturally occuring ways to seperate the head from the body, such as the neck line of clothing for example. It'll make the logo read better rather than just having the head just come to a stop.

This has potential, no doubt about it but it also has a long way to go before it reaches it.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

I can't believe this only has one comment!

I really like what you've done here, especially considering it's a high school. The problem I have with most high schools is thier reluctancy to have/create thier own identity package. They wing it instead by ripping off multiple logos and calling it an "identity", or by creating one logo, then using stock clip-art (aherm...logos! :P) to "complete" an identity. What you have here is what I want more high schools across the nation to pursue. Everything fits together, everything is well done, and it looks like a real identity.

The one complaint I have regarding the logo is that there's this awkward spot where the Chief's head meets his neck. I can't tell if he's turning his head, or if he's looking straight ahead. But other than that, really superb work here. I love it all, especially that shield. Well done!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Is that small logo at the bottom of your post the original? That's a good looking logo, looks slightly like Jim Thorpe. Can you blow it up for a closer look?

The shield and spears look fine as does the PHS with spear (although it's sort of a dull concept). The headress on your primary looks fine to me, my problem is with the facial features. They are pointy and the chin is too small. Go back to the drawing board and rework the face.

FsQiF2W.png

9erssteve- I never been the best with highlights, I'll definitely work on that. But as far as the facial features go, I felt like I had them correct for the most part. Are there any areas specifically that you think could be altered? Since this logo was created from an actual picture of Chief Standing Bear, the headdress is sitting almost exactly as it was in the original photo, just with less feathers. I will work on the neck as well.

knnhrvy- I know, I'm a little disappointed this didn't get more feedback, but what can you do, you know? I agree with what you said about high schools, that's my main reason for doing this.

Spearhead- I linked to the original topic in the OP, so you should be able to find larger versions in that thread.

Bravo96- Thanks, me too!

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

9erssteve- I never been the best with highlights, I'll definitely work on that. But as far as the facial features go, I felt like I had them correct for the most part. Are there any areas specifically that you think could be altered? Since this logo was created from an actual picture of Chief Standing Bear, the headdress is sitting almost exactly as it was in the original photo, just with less feathers. I will work on the neck as well.

With regards facial features, the right hand side of the face is off, the shap inside the nose doesn't match the shape of the blue outline, vary the lines thickness by all means it's a great way to help imply weight and light direction but the highlight shape shouldn't vary as much as you have there without reason, and there's no reason (nostril for example) for it change that much. The chin is another area that could use some serious work, it looks almost like it's been depicted in profile while the rest of the face has been drawn in 3/4 view.

I'd dispute the headdress position as well, check your first version and see how much of the forehead is visible and then check your new one and see how little forehead is showing by comparison. That's why I said you may want to look at that again. The first version looks like a far more convincing position to have it to me. I have no problem with the reduce number of feathers infact I think reducing the number of feathers was a good idea.

Hope that helps.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

• 2 months later...

It's been a while, but I found some over the holiday break to revisit this...again. I fixed the issues with the facial features/shadowing and adjusted some other areas as well (neck, headdress, etc). I also tweaked the shield logo a little. I think these would be the two main logos I would choose if the school did ever want to use these. I may add a diagonal 'PHS' to the shield at some point as well. Both could serve as primary logos in some cases. Seeing as some people are offended by an Indian head logo, the shield could be used as a replacement. This is about the umpteenth time I've updated this, and I know I say this every time, but I really feel like I have made progress (especially if you look at my first attempt). I'll work on a wordmark in the future. I'm not really a fan of the font I used before. Hopefully by then I'll have something that resembles a final product.

6406078655_275724817f_b.jpg

This hasn't received a whole lot of feedback in the past, so please, by all means comment, critique it, whatever!

I think it's amazing. I think the head dress is perfect. I just don't like the chin and the mark that goes in... but I doubt it would look better smaller or non existant.

I like the shield, but field it should be more of a circle and less of a oval. Love your work. You should be very proud.

I do very much like the design. Far more modern.

Being a contributor to a site that deals with Arizona high school football helmets, this on a blue helmet would blow most of them away. So many Eagles ripoffs, especially. (Bonus points to St. David for going to Canada for their inspiration, but that's it.)

I wish you'd tackle some of AZ's most uninspired high schools and give them identities. Two (Thunderbird and Westwood) I'd like to see a mascot change (Indian theme). Some of AZ's schools might throw you for a loop.

Raymie- Thanks, you're probably right about Arizona. In fact, pretty much anywhere you can find high schools with terrible identities. It's too bad that more of them don't try to get somebody to do something original for them. Especially one of there own students (like myself) who could do it for free.

Bumping this up again with two new versions of the logos featuring wordmarks. My inspiration for the wordmark was Baylor's with the same kind of "cuts" in traditional block lettering, something that I think would fit this identity well.

6434217597_19433b46ea_b.jpg

I sorta feel like I'm begging, but seriously, aren't there any comments? Or is it just perfect and there's nothing to change? C'mon guys, tell me anything. It still amazes me how many more comments/critiques uniform concepts get over original logos.

While I like the script, and alternate logo, I feel the primary is not where you want it to be. To me, and I'm not sure if you did this, it looks like you're trying to merge a 3/4 profile and a true profile together, and its giving off a feeling that he has relatively flat facial features. Also, it appears to me that he doesn't have a jawline and that's holding this back as well. I think if you go back and study the curves of the forehead and nose of many native americans, and change this to a true profile, you'll wind up with a much better product.

A couple of things that put me off, and it might be where razr is coming from too, the thicker outline/shadow on the chin appears off - that's where the confusion about the profile really springs from I think. Make it uniform and I bet he works better. Secondly I reckon his eye is too high, try moving it down - even if it currently matches your reference - it just doesn't look right to me.

Sheild logo I like, and I think the head-dress looks great. Nail the face (though I could be wrong about what it needs) and it's a beaut set.

Absolutely love the shield logo. There's something about the head logo that's not standing out quite yet. I can tell you're trying to get that "sneer" or "snarl", but I can only see that if I really look deep into it. Something about the nose that doesn't go right with the eye and mouth. If you took out the nose, in other words(not saying to get rid of the nose, haha), I can really get that determined snarl taht you're trying to implement. I'd say work on that nose a little until you get something that's perfect. If you can, then it will be a perfect concept in my eyes. Really nice job on this.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

Archived