Sign in to follow this  
JSauer21

DJ Logo's

Milo would you please stop trolling!

Good work VC// that DJ logo is sick.

JSauer, it's good to see that you are learning from your mistakes the new logo isn't perfect but it is a hell of a lot better than a rip-off of someone elses logo.

ONe think you learn quick about this forum is people know when you have ripped logos. I made that mistake years ago with a rip of Boston College Eagles. The slating I got, and deserved slating I must add, helped change my mentality and improve my work dramatically.

Its one thing to rip off a DJ's logo, and not expect anyone on this site to figure it out. but....

When you rip off the athletics logo for a major university, and post it on CCSLC you have to think that some one will figure it out.

Yeah, it was very stupid, however at the time I'd never heard of Boston College Eagles.

The key for this whole thread is to learn from experiences like this and improve yourself as a designer

The worst is when someone does it more than once, even worse is when that person doesn't learn from it.

How can something be even worse than the worst?

As long as you know what I meant, while I typed that out late at night...that's all that matters. Grammar police can send that violation to my home, I'll take care of it later.

I don't think I did a very good job with the grooves, but oh well. I will fix that later. The name DJ BLANK doesn't mean anything, I just thought that the logo looked better with the text do to it's simplicity.

fioQT.jpg

What are you using? Illustrator?

You need to learn how to use the blend option, play around with that option.

I don't think I did a very good job with the grooves, but oh well. I will fix that later. The name DJ BLANK doesn't mean anything, I just thought that the logo looked better with the text do to it's simplicity.

fioQT.jpg

I'm using a program called GIMP, it's a crappier/free version of photoshop.

This looks cool.

Ypwrn.jpg

You're getting there, but try to integrate the logo into the image better. It looks like it's just kinda placed on top.

This looks cool.

Ypwrn.jpg

The only thing i honestly like about this is the background... make the logo look more like the background and then maybe you gave something to start with

fioQT.jpg

I'm using a program called GIMP, it's a crappier/free version of photoshop.

Gimp is just as good as photoshop, I have seen some amazing work with gimp over the years, read up on some tutorials it will really improve your outcomes.

Signatures Made with Gimp

Signatures Made with Photoshop

This looks cool.

Ypwrn.jpg

The only thing i honestly like about this is the background... make the logo look more like the background and then maybe you gave something to start with

Haha, I didn't even make the background, but I like your idea of making the logo look like the background.

You need a clear direction with the logo, it seems like you find something new and throw it on there, sit down and brainstorm a clear direction for the logo, what you want it to say about you or the DJ, etc.

Do you guys even like this logo, or should I just start from scratch and come up with a completely new concept.

fioQT.jpg

IMO if you're going to have words and a shape, and they are not going to be integrated, then the shape needs to be something iconic that can stand on its own to represent the product, because at some point, it will be separated.

The main problem here is that you don't seem to have a theme, or an inspiration. Basically VC//'s last post was accurate. You don't need to be talented with the software (or even drawing) at the conceptual stage - just come up with a solid idea, a solid theme and then go from there. Your mind is more important than your hands right now, and it seems like you're using your hands and not your mind if you know what I mean.

Do you keep sitting down on the computer and trying to design this? If so, take a step back and pick up a pencil and some paper. First of all you need to ask the why, what, and who questions first.

Why are you doing this? What is your objective?

Who is your client?

What is your client expecting out of this?

What does your client do?

Who is your client's target audience?

Does your client have an logo?

Does your client have an image that he/she is trying to portray?

What are obvious ways to represent your client?

What are good ways to represent this image and your client that aren't point blank obvious?

Look at artists and designers over the years. Look at different styles.

What is the idea/meaning behind their piece?

How do they communicate the idea?

How do they use things such as shapes, text, colors, and space to create an interesting idea?

How can you incorporate these ideas into your design subtly?

Most people don't look at other artists and styles. Look at art, posters, etc from eras throughout history. See how they solve the problem. Design is problem solving in a visual way. Design is getting the message out using visual media. What are you trying to say? Why are you doing this and what is the message you want people to see/hear? Honestly go through and write these questions down, then answer them before you even think about designing. You need to do research and forget the computer. Do some research on design and designers, etc. When you've done that for a month, then you pick up a pencil and paper and sketch ideas to get the brain flowing. Through those sketches, you'll find things that work and things that don't work. After that if you have three good ideas, then you bring them to the computer and do them in black and white first. If a logo doesn't look good in black and white, it's not going to look good in color. You're jumping the gun on design. You're trying to design before you study it and know how to apply it. It's like doing calculus and not knowing how to add 1+1. Go to the basics and learn design and how it works and how good designers design.

Basically, we're all telling you the same thing. Does it necessarily require stepping back for a month like Oddball said? Maybe not, but if you don't have a natural creative instinct or a "mind for design", maybe it will.

To Oddball's point - don't just step back and look at DJ logos to see how other artists have tackled that. Look at logos for all different types of industries, and notice how some require sharp defined shapes with clean lines, some are more illustrative (like posters), some require high detail, some minimal, etc. Notice which ones (of the successful ones) incorporate industry-specific imagery (like a record for a DJ, or a baseball for a baseball team, etc.) and which ones don't. It's safe to say that a DJ logo will incorporate a record or headphones or something, but perhaps it's possible to tackle this one without being so obvious.

Just to repeat what I posted above, use your mind first, then your hands. If your hands suck, that's fine - they're not important right now.

You're kind of lucky that you're getting these kinds of comments in a thread in which you started by posting stolen logos. I hope you take advantage of the advice.

EDIT: and for christ's sake, fix the topic title. That's driving me nuts.

Alright guys, thanks for the input. I'm pretty busy right now with playing sports and homecoming week, but when I have free time, or if I'm bored in one of my classes, I'll start sketching some logos.