College Football (FBS) Fan Bases

29texan

Ok, so I saw this pic of fan bases for NFL teams:

296552_2099041969084_1636466644_2104651_4237157_n.jpg

... I was a bit inspired by it. So I decided to do one of college football. But seeing how there's hundreds of schools around the U.S. with football programs and just 120 in FBS alone, I decided to go by state. Just to let you know, this is from what I see and they're not 100% accurate. Feel free to move this thread if it's not right for 'concepts'.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, are you in the process of making them right now? Because if you need help with Utah or something, I'd be glad to. I'm not talking about the design or anything, I mean just giving feedback on how parts of the state lean.

Side note: They certainly have the Broncos right - Utah is definetely Broncos territory, no question :P

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

First up, TEXAS, featuring:

Baylor Bears (Waco)

Houston Cougars

North Texas Mean Green (Denton)

Rice Owls (Houston)

SMU Mustangs (Dallas/University Park)

TCU Horned Frogs (Fort Worth)

Texas Longhorns (Austin)

Texas A&M Aggies (College Station)

* Texas State Bobcats (San Marcos)

Texas Tech Red Raiders (Lubbock)

UTEP Miners (El Paso)

*UTSA Roadrunners (San Antonio)

*2012 WAC member

319302_2159742006547_1636466644_2178060_1651852381_n.jpg

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png

So, are you in the process of making them right now? Because if you need help with Utah or something, I'd be glad to. I'm not talking about the design or anything, I mean just giving feedback on how parts of the state lean.

Side note: They certainly have the Broncos right - Utah is definetely Broncos territory, no question :P

I'll take any comments and feedback. I don't want them to be WAY off. Which is why I started with MY state first. Well, that and the fact that we have the most so I decided to get the bigger ones out of the way first....

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png

Ok,couple things.....

1. San Marcos is BETWEEN Austin and San Antonio. I can't believe I missed that and I'll correct it when I do Ohio next.....

2. Well, I said these weren't 100% accurate. Mainly because people will say that THEIR team really is top dog in certain areas :P

Seriously, though, I've lived my entire life in Texas, live in Fort Worth and was born in Katy. I have several relatives in and around Waller, Austin, and Harris County and all I see here is more Aggie gear than Longhorns gear. Sure, the Longhorns dominate the entire state as far as fans go, but this is just to give you an idea of the centers of where those bases are.

And I'm sticking by Tech's fan base. Anytime I went out to West Texas, it was more Red Raiders than anyone else. And even though it's bigger (really just about as big as UT), remember that there aren't nearly as many people on the west side of the state than there is on the east side. So I'd say UT and A&M still have MORE fans regardless of size.

And yes, I'm doing Ohio next, then Florida, California.... and I'll just go from there. Probably mash up the New England states, the Pacific Northwest, and the Central Plains states since they're's really not that many people up there.

Still happy to take any suggestions or tips.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png

That NFL one is WAAYYYY off, I know for sure, that Youngstown and within 30 miles is mostly Steelers fans, Brown do NOT have that big of a fanbase is eastern Ohio.

I can help with Ohio when you get to it, just PM me if you want.

I'm pretty sure the guys had that in mind.... BUT they wanted to just capture the basics?

It's tough making maps like these accurate...

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png

That NFL one is WAAYYYY off, I know for sure, that Youngstown and within 30 miles is mostly Steelers fans, Brown do NOT have that big of a fanbase is eastern Ohio.

I'm pretty sure the guys had that in mind.... BUT they wanted to just capture the basics?

Nah actually the map's right. Youngstown and to the north and west is Browns territory (and Youngstown's generally sided with Cleveland). It's once you get down to the southern suburbs where you start to see more Steelers fans emerge. Not sure if you live in the Boardman/Poland/Canfield area or the Austintown/Niles/Warren area, but I think they're fairly different.

/Browns are on over the Steelers fairly often on Youngstown TV.

6fQjS3M.png

Nah actually the map's right. Youngstown and to the north and west is Browns territory (and Youngstown's generally sided with Cleveland). It's once you get down to the southern suburbs where you start to see more Steelers fans emerge. Not sure if you live in the Boardman/Poland/Canfield area or the Austintown/Niles/Warren area, but I think they're fairly different.

/Browns are on over the Steelers fairly often on Youngstown TV.

How long has it been since you lived here? Nowadays, it's probably 70-30 Steelers to Browns, I know. The Steelers are predominately on TV now, because the Steelers have been successful and the Browns are the suckiest team in the NFL. From downtown Youngstown, to Pittsburgh is about 50 miles. To Cleveland about 85 miles. Fourtunately, recently Youngstownhas been sided more with Pittsburgh. Its probably 60-40 Indians to Pirates, which is understandable, since the Pirates are MLB's worst team (this coming from a diehard Pirates fan). Back before I was born, I'm told that Youngstown was mostly Cleveland, but it's not that way at all anymore. I now live in Boardman, but I used to live in Salem, before that I lived in Newton Falls. In the Falls(horrible place) it was split 50-50, mostly all Indians fans though. You're right the northern area of Y-town is slightly sided more with Cleveland, but not that much.

Generally, Ohio's pretty easy. Just put the OSU logo on it and you're finished haha

Manchester-City-icon.png

Generally, Ohio's pretty easy. Just put the OSU logo on it and you're finished haha

I would agree with that, but i live in Dayton and when i make my way to Cincinnati it tends to be alot of bearcat country

Bucknut40.pngOhioStatebanner.png

#RaiderUp

Twitter-@R_Redinger4 My Blog-Southwest Ohio Football

NCFAF-Wheeling Coal Miners,NCFAF-FCS Lake Erie Shoremen, NCFAB-Wheeling Coal Miners

I would agree with that, but i live in Dayton and when i make my way to Cincinnati it tends to be alot of bearcat country

Yeah, I'm gonna have Ohio up tomorrow. I will admit, most of it will just be guessing.....

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png

Yeah, I'm gonna have Ohio up tomorrow. I will admit, most of it will just be guessing.....

You cannot guess.

If you are going to guess, the expect lots of the same issues which you have already received with the Texas graph. Since for the majority of games on TV, people only got to see Texas or aTm. that went aside for local "preferences, meanwhile those two schools graduate more students combined than others and have more living alumni than others in the old SWC combined. Texas is a combined burnt orange and maroon due to the "Texas Ex" and the Aggie "Former Student" (FYI, both names of their alumni groups), moving back home or elsewhere in the state. Everything else is trickled in.

Same thing goes for when you re-create Florida. Miami-Dade County has as many Florida and FSU grads as it does Miami grads. People move out and move back. Plus, south Florida's state university is FIU. Same thing goes for UCF and USF since they have not had programs just a generation, and those more people who went to those schools before and after football still root for either the Gators, Seminoles, or Hurricanes.

North Carolina is even worse as those who like college football, prefer East Carolina.

Plus, we did not even get into the HBCU schools. You placed in first year UTSA, but where were Prairie View and Texas Southern?

Archived