College Football (FBS) Fan Bases

29texan

That NFL one is WAAYYYY off, I know for sure, that Youngstown and within 30 miles is mostly Steelers fans, Brown do NOT have that big of a fanbase is eastern Ohio.

I can help with Ohio when you get to it, just PM me if you want.

Generally, Ohio's pretty easy. Just put the OSU logo on it and you're finished haha

I would agree with that, but i live in Dayton and when i make my way to Cincinnati it tends to be alot of bearcat country

Yeah, I'm gonna have Ohio up tomorrow. I will admit, most of it will just be guessing.....

You cannot guess.

If you are going to guess, the expect lots of the same issues which you have already received with the Texas graph. Since for the majority of games on TV, people only got to see Texas or aTm. that went aside for local "preferences, meanwhile those two schools graduate more students combined than others and have more living alumni than others in the old SWC combined. Texas is a combined burnt orange and maroon due to the "Texas Ex" and the Aggie "Former Student" (FYI, both names of their alumni groups), moving back home or elsewhere in the state. Everything else is trickled in.

Same thing goes for when you re-create Florida. Miami-Dade County has as many Florida and FSU grads as it does Miami grads. People move out and move back. Plus, south Florida's state university is FIU. Same thing goes for UCF and USF since they have not had programs just a generation, and those more people who went to those schools before and after football still root for either the Gators, Seminoles, or Hurricanes.

North Carolina is even worse as those who like college football, prefer East Carolina.

Plus, we did not even get into the HBCU schools. You placed in first year UTSA, but where were Prairie View and Texas Southern?

Ok, first off, the I know it's not exactly clear cut. Of course UT and A&M dominate Texas with some Tech and other schools douced around the state. But again, I'm going off of the location of the school and where that school's primary fan base would be first, then spread it out depending on how much "pull" the school has in football.

I didn't put in TSU, PV, or any HBCU because they're not FBS schools now and they wont be anytime in the near future. Besides, it's not like they have big enough fan bases for anyone of these maps. Trust me, I go to PV. You wouldn't even be able to see us here.

I've updated Texas, moving Texas State to it's appropriate spot:

293916_2171673304822_1636466644_2184765_661444598_n.jpg

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW, the only reason why I said most will be just guessing is because I've only been to Ohio once (Cincy, Columbus, Akron areas). I did get alot of feedback from Ohio State fans, but not much from the others.... But anyway, here's Ohio. Feel free to correct me.

320064_2171853109317_1636466644_2184879_1463451680_n.jpg

Next: Florida

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png

In terms of college football, Connecticut is definitely UConn territory, New Jersey is an obvious Rutgers fan base, and pretty much the majority of Upstate New York belongs to Syracuse.

As for New York City on the other hand, it's a mix of Rutgers, UConn, Syracuse, and the U.S. Military Academy.

YOZXkBG.png?1

While this is a good idea, and is something that defintitely could be a fun project, this really lacks in execution. I'm not talking about the location of fanbases; that's always debatable. I'm talking about your presentation. Notice how in the NFL one, everything was very cleanly laid out and easy to understand. Yours are very pixelated in areas (save in png if you're not doing so right now) and just not very pleasing to look at. Clean these up a little, and these could be so much better. For areas in a state that you're not completely sure on, maybe use gradients to show a mix of fanbases. Even if you are using paint, I still think you could make these cleaner.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

BTW, the only reason why I said most will be just guessing is because I've only been to Ohio once (Cincy, Columbus, Akron areas). I did get alot of feedback from Ohio State fans, but not much from the others.... But anyway, here's Ohio. Feel free to correct me.

I like how Kent's logo looks like a skidmark. It pretty much sums up that school in a nutshell. Well done! Only issues is that if you're going by football alone this is accurate. But all sports Akron has a much larger fanbase. Especially for soccer and basketball, not to mention we're even spilling over to PA. I know you're just doing it by state but went to watch Akron's 2011 tournament game vs. Notre Dame at a bar in Erie, PA and saw dozens of random people wearing Akron shirts. But it's one of those things, when you're out you're more drawn to noticing people wearing "your" team. This is why the Steelers guy is trying to say they are more popular. Of course you're going to notice more piss yellow, if that's the team you root for.

Yeah, the area west of Toledo is filled with traitors, there need so be a splotch of Blue up there. And stick a YSU logo on top of Youngstown, just put a Pete there. They have a bigger following than Kent, and Akron in Football.

First of all YSU is not FBS, and there is no way in hell they have a bigger following than any of these schools. Maybe since you live there you think that, but I lived in Ohio for a long time and never met a YSU fan outside of Youngstown. Akron has more freaking soccer fans than YSU has for football

Getting back to the poster's original point, albeit a small sample size, every person I've ever met from Montana is a Kansas City Chiefs fan. I assume it is because KC had AM radio that got there first, and their parents were fans that way so they are heirs to that thrown by proxy. But honestly, who really gives a :censored: about that part of the country. They may even like my Vikings, and i'd never know that difference.

But I do know one thing for sure. North and South Dakota may be more vigilant Vikings fans per capita than many Minnesota cities.

Thanx for the feedback, guys.

I guess I should clean these up a bit... and I had no idea there was that big of a Michigan base in that part of Ohio, although I probably SHOULD have known seeing how there's a lot of OU fans where I'm from and I can understand.

And again, folks, this is FBS only. If I posted FCS as well, it would be a lot more crowded, a lot more time consuming, and (for me, at least) more confusing.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png

What's the orange square next to Akron represents?

Kent State skidmarks

Kent State skidmarks

Ah, dammit. I forgot to label it.

Sorry, I kinda had to rush this.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png

Yeah, the area west of Toledo is filled with traitors, there need so be a splotch of Blue up there. And stick a YSU logo on top of Youngstown, just put a Pete there. They have a bigger following than Kent, and Akron in Football.

First of all YSU is not FBS, and there is no way in hell they have a bigger following than any of these schools. Maybe since you live there you think that, but I lived in Ohio for a long time and never met a YSU fan outside of Youngstown. Akron has more freaking soccer fans than YSU has for football

Sorry dude, I botched that one. My bad. But, really, more soccer fans than YSU Football. I don't think so. But sorry to get you all upset. I'll check my brain before doing that again.

Archived