MLB Color Game

kevinmets

If this actually catches on, I'll consider doing it for other sports. However, my knowledge of other sports is significantly limited so I'd need some help.

A frequent topic of discussion here is that a lot of MLB teams use the same color schemes.

I propose a "game" if you will, where you have to give each team it's own unique 2-color scheme. (Subsequent concept designs are not required, but certainly encouraged.)

Here are my "acceptable" color schemes.

colorschemes.jpg

All 2-color schemes are based off these 15 colors: white, black, red, maroon, orange, brown, gold, yellow, green, hunter, teal, sky, blue, navy, purple.

Certain combinations were omitted due to lack of contrast or general ugliness (ie. navy-purple, green-teal, gold-yellow, etc).

Certainly some of my choices were arbitrary (2 different greens where MLB uses 1, 1 navy where MLB uses 2, lack of gray, etc) but hey, that's part of the game.

Subtle color differences count as one color. What do I mean by this?

"Brick" is red.

"Midnight blue" is navy.

"Sand" or "tan" are gold.

"Northwest green" is teal.

"Powder blue" is sky.

Etc, etc.

Don't worry about which color is "first". For our purposes, blue/red = red/blue, etc.

Rules: assign each MLB team one unique color scheme. (Optional: create 2 expansion teams to make an even 32.) If you really want a team to have 3 main colors, suck it up and imagine one of the 3 colors as a "tertiary", aka less important, and not a difference-maker. (Also: White is an automatic tertiary color for any team if needed, but has to be used less than the 2 main colors in the hypothetical uniform set.)

It's amazing how many color combos will be left over, even WITH each team having a unique look.

For comparison, here's MLB in reality.

mlb2011colorzzzz.jpg

And here's my attempt:

colorschemesattempt1.jpg

Need some explanation:

Giants: Most people traditionally have viewed the Orioles as the "orange & black" team and the Giants as the "black & orange team". Well clearly the Giants have been embracing orange lately in an attempt to separate themselves from the Bonds era. Clearly real-life orioles are black and orange. So why not make the Giants the "orange team"? The same way the Reds are the "red team", the Yankees are the "navy blue team", etc.

Braves: I was torn between making them navy & yellow, or blue & brown. Still not 100% sure, blue & brown seemed to fit better with their current logo set.

Rangers: Originally had them as black & gold, imitating my old charcoal & gold concept. However, thought it was too similar to the Astros navy & gold, don't want two state rivals having too similar colors.

Rays & Diamondbacks: Tested out some concepts a while ago, think they work for those teams.

Want any other explanations? I'll give em to you tomorrow. I am le tired.

Just out of curiosity why did you change the Rockies to purple and sky if purple and black is unique. Is the point of this to make each team unique or to have color schemes you like. Either way this is great I always look for your work.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

How does it work to have one expansion team? Just sayin'...

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Just out of curiosity why did you change the Rockies to purple and sky if purple and black is unique. Is the point of this to make each team unique or to have color schemes you like. Either way this is great I always look for your work.

Too many "black" teams. Plus look at these beauties.

Also I clearly stated it's a game. Which means either of your specifications.

How does it work to have one expansion team? Just sayin'...

I'm drunk. Sue me. I'll fix it tomorrow (deciding between Portland, Charlotte, and San Antonio for 2nd expansion team. [if it were up to me all 3 would get one, along with Indiana (Indianapolis) and Las Vegas. 36 teams, yeah whats up.])

I like the combination of purple and navy...

Haha sorry, IMO purple is generally dark and closer to blue than red (leading it to be too close to navy.) If it makes you feel better, I also omitted "black-dark green", and "navy-dark green" due to similar circumstances, before realizing both combos were used by the Devil Rays.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to admit, I'm having trouble with some of the pairs of colors. It's the old color blindness at work. It's easier for me to spot the actual color if it's large, like in an actual baseball cap, than in a small box. And it's easier for me to tell the brighter colors in the small boxes than the earth tones.

my%20take.PNG

Notes:

Nats, Cubs, and Rangers are the only teams justified to have blue/red schemes.

Orioles should be black/orange, like the real birds. Giants can be orange and white.

I have always thought brown and gold make a great combination, and I think the Royals should consider it.

I like the green/sand combo for the DBacks.

Moved Braves and Indians to unique palettes, with the Indians having the same scheme as the NFL's Chiefs.

Rays (like those of the Sun) should be yellow and orange.

I've been wanting to do a redo of baseball for a long time. Going by this chart...

colorschemeszero.jpg

If the Rangers HAD to change, I think a red and gold scheme would fit well with the team. I have the Diamondbacks, Astros, Phillies and Brewers going back to older colors, and the Mariners going with a Seattle type theme along with the Sounders and Seahawks. The two expansion teams would be color options that I would like to see, with "Expansion One" going to the American League, "Expansion Two" going to the National League, and the Astros or Brewers coming to the AL.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As I said, before, I'm using this for my MLB series, so I've made a lot of changes along the way. Here's my most recent one:

FoxColorGame-5.png

However, the main reason of this post was to ask Kevinmets, is it OK if I start an NBA color game thread? Ofcourse, I would give credit to this thread for the idea.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Archived