thespleenenator's B1G concepts

thespleenenator

Bad? What's so bad about it? I get that it's not creative, and I'm a bit disappointed in myself, but bad? What's to dislike?

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bad? What's so bad about it? I get that it's not creative, and I'm a bit disappointed in myself, but bad? What's to dislike?

There's very little design, the logo on the chest looks out of place, there's inconsistencies in the color of the sleeve/pants logos, the TV numbers are sideways...

Fix those things and it's and alright concept, but still a downgrade from their current look. Illinois has so many design possibilities, just go for it.

There's very little design, the logo on the chest looks out of place, there's inconsistencies in the color of the sleeve/pants logos, the TV numbers are sideways...

Fix those things and it's and alright concept, but still a downgrade from their current look. Illinois has so many design possibilities, just go for it.

Inconsistencies? Look at all of the combos. There is a distinct pattern. And the TV numbers are actually correct, but they look odd because the font is italicized. If you saw them in person they would be fine. There other two points I agree with though and I'm working on something different. I can't help if you like Illinois current look. I hate it, so almost anything would be an upgrade to me.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Inconsistencies? Look at all of the combos. There is a distinct pattern. And the TV numbers are actually correct, but they look odd because the font is italicized. If you saw them in person they would be fine. There other two points I agree with though and I'm working on something different. I can't help if you like Illinois current look. I hate it, so almost anything would be an upgrade to me.

Your Away and Home Alt 3 both have same color jersey and pants, but the logos on the sleeves and pants are different colors.

And my god dude, Google image search an NFL jersey...the TV numbers are wrong!!!

And for the last time, I don't like Illinois' current uniforms...they're average. The "almost anything" that would be an upgrade does not include your concept, unfortunately.

The TV numbers are way off. They aren't supposed to face that way. There are no strokes around the numbers or logos, which makes it very bland. The collar logo is off center. The collar is colored in weird. The helmet stripe is wayyy too thing. The pants stripe is also odd.

Illinois' current uniforms may not be my favorite, but they are a lot better than this. It's just kind of offensive that you would try to call out someone else's work with so much confidence and then "walk the walk" with this.

I fall on the side of everyone else and agree that these are bland, uninspired, and strange. Sideways TV numbers looks awkward and completely ruins the point of them. Selection of trim, striping, and logo placement is extremely minimal and random. I am neither a proponent for or against the headress helmet. Regardless of if it is overdone, I would prefer to see a well thought out and executed concept than a bland and uninspired one. Go back to the drawing board. Not a good look. Also, it is not advisable to talk smack regarding someone else's concept and then go out to "one up" it. You've fallen flat on your face in your attempt to show Tim up. Poor.

The TV numbers are way off. They aren't supposed to face that way. There are no strokes around the numbers or logos, which makes it very bland. The collar logo is off center. The collar is colored in weird. The helmet stripe is wayyy too thing. The pants stripe is also odd.

Illinois' current uniforms may not be my favorite, but they are a lot better than this. It's just kind of offensive that you would try to call out someone else's work with so much confidence and then "walk the walk" with this.

This clearly isn't a great concept, but let's not pretend that one-color lettering and numbers are inherently bland. They can look very crisp if the style is right and if you know how to handle them. Putting an outline around a number or logo doesn't make it less boring or more lively or better unless it's coordinated with the elements around it. I also don't see what's wrong with a thin helmet stripe. Isn't that the most modern and unique part of this whole design? I think that might be a design element you can build from.

I think perpetuating 'rules' like this funnels people into a 'follow the leader' approach and makes them think more about how people will react to their design rather than how good everything actually coordinates, which is the biggest weakness we see in concepts here; too many ideas mashed together in strange ways.

I mean, you see one-color numbers as boring, someone else may see outlines as clutter. One thing's for sure: an ultra simple, cohesive uniform is miles better than an ultra-creative one that has too many aesthetic devices working for it. Good example: Michigan's home uniform and Oregon's black pro combat from last week are coordinated perfectly in every way. Maryland's pride uniform has too many different elements and aesthetics going on.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I'm trying to think of a new design, and I realized why I didn't go all out in the first place. Originally, I was going to have the helmet have a headdress on it, but that's been done before. Two tone? Done many times. Feather patterns? Also done. Most of the creative ideas for Illinois have already been taken. Also, I figured something out. It's not really the concept that matters, but the presentation. Mau's Penn State pro combat concept isn't really that creative, save the subtle patterns on the numbers. I mean, he basically added some stripes and grey pants. But his template makes it great. If I had done the same thing, it would have been called boring. I don't have photoshop, so I can't do the same things that he can. If I've learned one thing, it's this: As long as your presentation is good, you can basically do anything, and won't be hated for it. You could have an amazing concept, but if your presentation sucks, the best you'll get it "meh". So really, I'm sure if there's any point in trying.

I'm trying to think of a new design, and I realized why I didn't go all out in the first place. Originally, I was going to have the helmet have a headdress on it, but that's been done before. Two tone? Done many times. Feather patterns? Also done. Most of the creative ideas for Illinois have already been taken. Also, I figured something out. It's not really the concept that matters, but the presentation. Mau's Penn State pro combat concept isn't really that creative, save the subtle patterns on the numbers. I mean, he basically added some stripes and grey pants. But his template makes it great. If I had done the same thing, it would have been called boring. I don't have photoshop, so I can't do the same things that he can. If I've learned one thing, it's this: As long as your presentation is good, you can basically do anything, and won't be hated for it. You could have an amazing concept, but if your presentation sucks, the best you'll get it "meh". So really, I'm sure if there's any point in trying.

Lack of Photoshop can hardly be an excuse. Some of the best artists here work strictly in Inkscape (a free program). Not PS, nor Illustrator (the high end programs). I was a heavy PS user for years, but now using strictly Inkscape since this summer. Learn the programs and the tools and how best to improve presentation. Patience is key. Not having Photoshop is not the reason your concepts are getting labeled as bland.

Lack of Photoshop can hardly be an excuse. Some of the best artists here work strictly in Inkscape (a free program). Not PS, nor Illustrator (the high end programs). I was a heavy PS user for years, but now using strictly Inkscape since this summer. Learn the programs and the tools and how best to improve presentation. Patience is key. Not having Photoshop is not the reason your concepts are getting labeled as bland.

I know, but I'm saying that presentation is now more important than the actual concept.

presentation isnt everything. communication of design intent is everything. i feel like thats whats been missing in alot of these threads in the concepts section. people just throw a design on a template and say "i did 'x' cause it looks cool." have an idea, something you want to communicate and build your concept around that.. and just see where it takes you. If it sucks, oh well back to the drawing board. I know that there are plenty of people who dont like my designs (just look at the thread). Changes are almost always helpful, even if you just have to try things out to see how they look. you can always take a step back.

It doesnt matter if things have been done before... just take them a bit further or put your own twist on it.

You cant take offense to something cause someone called your stuff bad... take in stride and use it as fuel to your fire. One thing you should go into every concept thinking is that in all likelihood, you arent going to please everyone. period. Hiding behind not having the latest and greatest software isnt going to get you anywhere. just my $0.02

zPfTNXq_sm_zpsu3fsswbz.jpg 8DRvuUI_sm_zpsthbhbnio.jpg

Maurer_icons-02_zps7dcbd790.png Maurer_icons-01_zpsfee43a9b.png

I'm not saying that is right or wrong (@spleen's comment of presentation being more important than the concept), as I believe the actual concept and presentation need to be equally well done, but then maybe this tells you that you should focus on your presentation. Maybe spend a little time to get away from the "creative" side of things and focus on properly recreating a current team's look for practice. So if you wanted to try "School X", you could attempt it and then look back and ask yourself how you did. Did you properly place the helmet logo? Are the stripes and piping accurately portrayed? Are the numbers and text properly aligned and centered? How about the balance in the weight of the stripes? Are they portrayed reasonably to scale? Etc, etc. You get the point. If your concern has now become presentation, then forget creating concepts for a while and try to recreate a current uniform so that you nail the execution and presentation. Then come back to conceptual stuff and it will look even better. Just some advice.

Spleen, you can't blame the tools. And if you're limited, there's freeware out there that is more than capable of handling the types of things you're talking about. Mau's template, which took forever, I'm sure, could be done in several programs that cost nothing. It takes time and effort-- if you expect to come up with something good, quickly, it's most likely not going to happen. For instance, this was brought up in a design thread on here; this was done in MS Paint:

Venice.jpg

Have a clear plan, instead of "I wanted it to look cool", as Mau said, and set your mind to it. Don't rush through it, because it's obvious. You've come some way since your last concept thread, but I think you're still rushing your work. Slow it down, think about it, and then execute. Come up with a template for presentation, if that bothers you. It's not hard, and it adds a nice, personal touch in the long run.

Actually, the main reason my concepts aren't good is because I can't draw worth crap :P . I was just making a point that some terrible designs sometimes get a nod simply because they are presented well, and If I had done this on Mau's template, it would have gotten better reviews. And this design was not quick. It took me three hours to make.

Actually, the main reason my concepts aren't good is because I can't draw worth crap :P . I was just making a point that some terrible designs sometimes get a nod simply because they are presented well, and If I had done this on Mau's template, it would have gotten better reviews. And this design was not quick. It took me three hours to make.

Sorry, no. Not to be rude or a dick, but your design just straight blew, you coulda made them in real life and had Michael Vick wear them, they were going to be bad anywhere.

And WOW really? a whole 3 hours. Come on dude, your better than that.

"Classic" does not mean it gets a free pass for being bad design.

6624288275_95c33d4680_z.jpg

No, spleen, presentation is PART of the concept. Mau's concepts aren't bad either. They are finished looking and intricate. Yours are full of inconsistencies.

@andrewharrington

Oh, I agree. Plain numbers CAN look good. But, I just didn't like the way they looked on that isolated concept.

Archived