Nike NFL uniforms "sneak peak"

fifthandlaurel

Not sure if this is legit or not, but according to Nike's multiple Twitter feeds they are unveiling a sneak peak of their Pro Combat for "Sunday football" on the Nike BOOM! application. I don't have a phone that supports that app, but maybe others do...?

usnikefootball: Think Nike has Saturday football on lock? Get a peek into Sundays in 1/2 hour (1pmEST) ONLY on the new BOOM! app. http://bit.ly/ppkrrf

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's just the undershirts. The main part of the shirt is team color. The sleeves on all of the shirts are white. They have the team name across the chest, all teams using same font. I was hoping Nike wouldn't do this. Reebok has been using the same font for all teams instead of using each teams' specific wordmarks and fonts. I think it's incredibly lazy.

I was hoping Nike wouldn't do this. Reebok has been using the same font for all teams instead of using each teams' specific wordmarks and fonts. I think it's incredibly lazy.

How sure are we that this isn't a mandate from the league itself? It certainly seems plausible given the standardization of the Super Bowl logo. I think it's entirely within the realm of possibility that the leauge prefers a lot of the merchandise to have a standardized look.

But I do hate it as well.

gYH2mW9.png

It's just the undershirts. The main part of the shirt is team color. The sleeves on all of the shirts are white. They have the team name across the chest, all teams using same font. I was hoping Nike wouldn't do this. Reebok has been using the same font for all teams instead of using each teams' specific wordmarks and fonts. I think it's incredibly lazy.

How is it lazy? putting the teams actual word mark on the shirt every year is lazy. Reebok doesn't spend all that money on a 10 year contract and not try to make money. Who's going to buy that boring looking Colts word mark every year?

I was hoping Nike wouldn't do this. Reebok has been using the same font for all teams instead of using each teams' specific wordmarks and fonts. I think it's incredibly lazy.

How sure are we that this isn't a mandate from the league itself? It certainly seems plausible given the standardization of the Super Bowl logo. I think it's entirely within the realm of possibility that the leauge prefers a lot of the merchandise to have a standardized look.

I know that the sideline gear for the current NFL season started out all being team specific, then took a partial turn toward templateland due to production restrictions, but many of the garments this season do utilize team-specific stripes.

Nonetheless, MEANS makes a good point. Is it lazier to slap the team wordmark on all the sideline gear, or to spend a few months developing a custom NFL sideline font each season? I think that answers itself. Using a 'sideline font' for all teams may be expected, but it's certainly not lazy. Plus it gives the line a more uniform look.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I know that the sideline gear for the current NFL season started out all being team specific, then took a partial turn toward templateland due to production restrictions, but many of the garments this season do utilize team-specific stripes.

Nonetheless, MEANS makes a good point. Is it lazier to slap the team wordmark on all the sideline gear, or to spend a few months developing a custom NFL sideline font each season? I think that answers itself. Using a 'sideline font' for all teams may be expected, but it's certainly not lazy. Plus it gives the line a more uniform look.

it is completely lazy and cheap and when you say "production restrictions" you really mean cut costs on design...case in point the amount of variety in fan and sideline gear in the pre-reebok exclusive era where you had nike, adidas, etc.

They can be as creative as they want designing the apparel, but use the team wordmarks. Who wants some generic wordmark?

They can be as creative as they want designing the apparel, but use the team wordmarks. Who wants some generic wordmark?

The people who have a closet full of stuff with the team wordmark on it.

And no, you can never, ever be as creative as you want when designing for the sports industry, no matter how hard you try. It's the nature of the beast.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

it is completely lazy and cheap and when you say "production restrictions" you really mean cut costs on design...case in point the amount of variety in fan and sideline gear in the pre-reebok exclusive era where you had nike, adidas, etc.

There is no such thing as cutting costs on design. That doesn't exist, unless you're laying off talented designers to bring in worse ones, which isn't particularly common. Cutting costs on production? Yes, that's exactly what it is. Go find me a company that doesn't do everything it can to make sure it's production costs are as low as possible. When you send out 32 unique sets of artwork and the factory producing your things comes back and says, 'You have to cut this down to 12 unique patterns.' you don't really have too many other options.

There was variety before because each company only supplied a handful of teams. It's much easier to find a factory overseas that can produce 8 completely unique designs than it is to find one that can produce 32 completely unique designs, which is the exact problem I was referring to. Sure, there's probably someone somewhere that can handle 32 completely unique designs, but obviously the goods are going to cost more to produce, and as a result, you will be paying even more at retail. You can't have it both ways. Do you want unique sideline apparel for each team, or do you want to be able to afford a t-shirt at Dick's? The market's a bitch, and the days of each team picking its own supplier are over. We're in the era of exclusive contracts now.

How is developing a custom font lazy? You're absolutely bonkers. It's probably the most time-consuming thing a designer can do, and probably the hardest thing for a designer to master. There are Masters programs devoted solely to type design.

Archived