Nike NFL uniforms "sneak peak"

fifthandlaurel

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So every team is going to have white sleeves? Wow, that's boring.

That's what makes me think it's gotta be really general and no what they will actually be.

It wouldn't be any different than the baseball undershirts that they make. All of them are grey with colored sleeves and neck lines.

That's what makes me think it's gotta be really general and no what they will actually be.

It wouldn't be any different than the baseball undershirts that they make. All of them are grey with colored sleeves and neck lines.

Well actually, that'd make these completely different.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I was hoping Nike wouldn't do this. Reebok has been using the same font for all teams instead of using each teams' specific wordmarks and fonts. I think it's incredibly lazy.

How sure are we that this isn't a mandate from the league itself? It certainly seems plausible given the standardization of the Super Bowl logo. I think it's entirely within the realm of possibility that the leauge prefers a lot of the merchandise to have a standardized look.

But I do hate it as well.

I know that the sideline gear for the current NFL season started out all being team specific, then took a partial turn toward templateland due to production restrictions, but many of the garments this season do utilize team-specific stripes.

Nonetheless, MEANS makes a good point. Is it lazier to slap the team wordmark on all the sideline gear, or to spend a few months developing a custom NFL sideline font each season? I think that answers itself. Using a 'sideline font' for all teams may be expected, but it's certainly not lazy. Plus it gives the line a more uniform look.

it is completely lazy and cheap and when you say "production restrictions" you really mean cut costs on design...case in point the amount of variety in fan and sideline gear in the pre-reebok exclusive era where you had nike, adidas, etc.

There is no such thing as cutting costs on design. That doesn't exist, unless you're laying off talented designers to bring in worse ones, which isn't particularly common. Cutting costs on production? Yes, that's exactly what it is. Go find me a company that doesn't do everything it can to make sure it's production costs are as low as possible. When you send out 32 unique sets of artwork and the factory producing your things comes back and says, 'You have to cut this down to 12 unique patterns.' you don't really have too many other options.

There was variety before because each company only supplied a handful of teams. It's much easier to find a factory overseas that can produce 8 completely unique designs than it is to find one that can produce 32 completely unique designs, which is the exact problem I was referring to. Sure, there's probably someone somewhere that can handle 32 completely unique designs, but obviously the goods are going to cost more to produce, and as a result, you will be paying even more at retail. You can't have it both ways. Do you want unique sideline apparel for each team, or do you want to be able to afford a t-shirt at Dick's? The market's a bitch, and the days of each team picking its own supplier are over. We're in the era of exclusive contracts now.

How is developing a custom font lazy? You're absolutely bonkers. It's probably the most time-consuming thing a designer can do, and probably the hardest thing for a designer to master. There are Masters programs devoted solely to type design.

I guess I need to clarify what I meant. I don't mind if some of the fan apparel has standardized wordmarks. I wouldn't buy it, but whatever. I don't think any sideline or onfield apparel should be standardized. They use the team's logos and wordmarks on these items.

Well actually, that'd make these completely different.

What I meant is that it's not unusual for Nike to use the same color on all of the undershirts. This is just the reverse of what was done with the baseball undershirts.

Cause they are ONLY undershirts. The NFL has strict rules; NCAAF doesn't. It's because of their NCAAF products that have caused most people to think Nike would do the same in the pros.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

Cause they are ONLY undershirts. The NFL has strict rules; NCAAF doesn't. It's because of their NCAAF products that have caused most people to think Nike would do the same in the pros.

BINGO!!!! Could not have been said better. The NFL IS NOT the NCAA, and people should stop expecting the Packers to show up in Pro Combat uniforms next September.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Well, I guess this confirms that there won't be any stripes/designs on the sleeves. A little dissapointing, but like Seoul said, the NFL is not NCAAF, so this sort of standardization shouldn't be too much of a suprise.

And correct me if I'm wrong or this has already been mentioned, but could this just be one set of shirts, and another set with team-colored sleeves is out there? They could just be using this set to show off the product.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Well, I guess this confirms that there won't be any stripes/designs on the sleeves. A little dissapointing, but like Seoul said, the NFL is not NCAAF, so this sort of standardization shouldn't be too much of a suprise.

And correct me if I'm wrong or this has already been mentioned, but could this just be one set of shirts, and another set with team-colored sleeves is out there? They could just be using this set to show off the product.

Exactly what I was thinking. Just because they showed off these shirts an entire year before their first season starts doesn't mean these are the only undershirts available. I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't release a set with team-colored sleeves sometime down the road.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Exactly what I was thinking. Just because they showed off these shirts an entire year before their first season starts doesn't mean these are the only undershirts available. I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't release a set with team-colored sleeves sometime down the road.

Yes, there will be more to come and in team colors. But that being said, white will be the standard/default. What I'm curious about is whether or not Nike's flywire will be the same color to match the jersey or purposely made to stand out more. A lot of the sample jerseys they sent out to the teams had the flywire as either the team's other main color, plain white/light grey, or black (i.e. the Browns brown jersey looked like it had a black flywire...but it could've just been a darker brown).

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

Hopefully Nike can fix teams like the Colts that have ridiculous looking shoulder loops now. Can someone explain why the Rams shoulder loops look perfect, yet the Colts look terrible? I'm assuming it is the cut of the template they are using, but how hard is it to use one that matches your look?

Hopefully Nike can fix teams like the Colts that have ridiculous looking shoulder loops now. Can someone explain why the Rams shoulder loops look perfect, yet the Colts look terrible? I'm assuming it is the cut of the template they are using, but how hard is it to use one that matches your look?

I agree. I've heard the excuse that it's the "stretchy" jersey that causes the shoulder stripes to do that, but I'm waving the BS flag over that one. LSU's 2011 combat uni is a perfect example of a skin-tight uniform that still has the correct shoulder stripes.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

Will you please post the one for the BILLS ?

Cheers

Here you go

6145706245_63d0aa46fb.jpg

Thanks for posting that .... Somebody best inform NIKE that the Bills don't wear black other than the shoes. ^_^

That would look good in our shade of Royal Blue with the newer condensed wordmark.

But black? .. They're probably pissed at us for having REEBOK assist in the redesign of our new uniforms rather than wait for them in 2012, "them bunch of fargin iceholes" !!

49537_100000373342233_2334_n.jpg

Archived