NFL Uniforms 2011 (Week 2)

Dexter Morgan

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4d419ec9396fde642563b019b02627ab-getty-125589532.jpgb40122ead6d0453ee36cd5a27347274f-getty-125589535.jpg

What was uglier, this matchup or Luke McCown's performance?

That Jags helmet looks nice on video. Even looks good in pictures.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Watching the Eagles right now, and got into a debate with my dad. Both the Eagles and Jets wore Kelly green back in the day. My dad claims the Kelly greens were different from eachother, and that the NFL would never allow two teams to wear the same shade. I'm trying to explain that Kelly Green is Kelly green and there aren't different shades of it, as that would make it a new color.

So please, help me settle this one.

70389454.png

Watching the Eagles right now, and got into a debate with my dad. Both the Eagles and Jets wore Kelly green back in the day. My dad claims the Kelly greens were different from eachother, and that the NFL would never allow two teams to wear the same shade. I'm trying to explain that Kelly Green is Kelly green and there aren't different shades of it, as that would make it a new color.

Paging Mr. ColorWerx, Mr. ColorWerx, please pick up the white courtesy telephone...

I don't think the league ever cared about teams wearing the exact same shade of any given color. Heck, color science has never been more important to branding and the Jets and Packers wear the same shade of hunter green today.

BTW, are the orange pants included in your newer set?? I had meant to ask you about that.

If so, maybe the Browns will wear them this Sunday

The orange pants were replaced with the brown pants in 2006. Cleveland is one of the teams eligible for a uniform change 2012 since they will be past the required 5 years.

I like those Colts throwbacks too.

So I take it the NFL isn't making exceptions due to the switch to Nike? I'd like to think that the all-white debacle this season is the Browns taking a step back before they take a step forward with some changes next year. But I doubt they will be doing anything special. I really disliked the decision not to wear the brown pants though. I've heard there has been fan backlash, but I don't buy that. The fans loved the orange pants, so why would they listen to fans and ditch brown but ignore fans and not bring back orange. Not to mention the orange pants are part of tradition, while brown never were.

I went to the Redskins vs Cardinals game today. Seeing Arizona wearing all white gave me an added reason to boo them. I've always hated all white football uniforms. Something about seeing white on white instantly makes me think of practice uniforms (I hated football practice). I know some people love the "clean" all white look, but it's one of my biggest peeves in football.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

I don't mind their all white, but the contrasting styles and reds didn't make for a great match up (I was at the game as well). Skins still look great in the gold pants. I wonder what they'll wear for the Cowboys game next week. The Cowgirls will certainly come out in their blue/silver knickers, so does that mean the Redskins will wear the burgundy over gold combo for the first time on the road? Last season, they went with burgundy over white.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

3892168.jpg

Wow look at this dude, he's straight up wearing Converse sneakers. :blink:

If I'm remembering correctly that wasn't that unusual for some players - particularly receivers and DBs - to wear basketball shoes on the old-school "fuzzy concrete" Astroturf fields instead of the shoes designed for Astroturf (which had little round "cleats" that were somewhere between 1/8" and 1/4" long). All kind of a moot point now that Astroturf has been replaced by Fieldturf and players wear cleated shoes designed for that surface.

They actually DID wear the same shade of Kelly Green, although Kelly Green is most certainly NOT Kelly Green - across the board anyway. There are dozens of examples I could give...maybe I'll put some stuff together tomorrow.

The Jets and Packers use the same shade of Green today - and have since 1997, and again when both teams changed shades in 2002.

It's all about Pantones...(as usual)

EDIT: I missed the fact that Gothamite already addressed the Pack and Jets...sorry!

So I take it the NFL isn't making exceptions due to the switch to Nike? I'd like to think that the all-white debacle this season is the Browns taking a step back before they take a step forward with some changes next year. But I doubt they will be doing anything special. I really disliked the decision not to wear the brown pants though. I've heard there has been fan backlash, but I don't buy that. The fans loved the orange pants, so why would they listen to fans and ditch brown but ignore fans and not bring back orange. Not to mention the orange pants are part of tradition, while brown never were.

The Browns wore the orange pants from 1975 thru 1983 and then for what, a year or two after they came back in 1999? That's really not a lot when you're talking about a team that's been around for 60+ years. Don't get me wrong, I love the orange pants, but I'd hardly call them a Browns "tradition." The brown pants, even though we never see them, have officially been a part of the Browns uniform (five years now) almost as long as the orange pants were. The Browns' "traditional" look is what we're seeing this season with the all white.

BB52Big.jpg

The Browns wore the orange pants from 1975 thru 1983 and then for what, a year or two after they came back in 1999? That's really not a lot when you're talking about a team that's been around for 60+ years. Don't get me wrong, I love the orange pants, but I'd hardly call them a Browns "tradition." The brown pants, even though we never see them, have officially been a part of the Browns uniform (five years now) almost as long as the orange pants were. The Browns' "traditional" look is what we're seeing this season with the all white.

Sorry should have phrased it differently. By traditional, I meant something they wore in the past. As opposed to the brown pants that were only introduced 5 years ago. I sure do miss them, along with the throwback helmet with numbers.

Back for another exciting episode, it's time for...

Infrared41's Best and Worst Looking Games of the Week!

As always, we welcome questions, comments, and telling me what an idiot I am. B) This week we're going to change things up a bit and lead off with the worst looking match ups.

Worst:

1. Bengals - Broncos. Now that the Buffalo Bills have finally come to their senses, Cincinnati is the new leader in God-awful. They faced some tough competition from Arizona and Minnesota but the Bengals get the win based on the number of combos in which they can wear these disasters. Denver's uniforms are awful which is bad enough, but they're starting to look outdated. You gotta like a team that can pull off the rare "outdated modern look" combination.

Bengals_Broncos_Football_90632_game.jpg

2. Jaguars - Jets: Jacksonville's look isn't entirely awful. It's just boring. Memo to the Jets; the 1959 high school football state champions called. They want you to return their uniforms.

Jaguars_Jets_Football_90312_game.jpg

Luckily, there were only two disasters this week.

Best:

Lots to choose from this week.

1. Browns - Colts: If you're an old school fool and traditional looks are your thing, this was the game for you. I am. They are. It was. It doesn't get any better than this.

Browns_Colts_Football_90329_game.jpg

2. Bears - Saints: Best home uniform in the NFL goes on the road to take on the Saints who were wearing one of the best road looks in the NFL. No idea why they did it but it really worked. Thankfully, the Saints didn't go with the black pants.

Bears_Saints_Football_90611_game.jpg

3. Raiders - Bills: As I stated earlier in this very thread, when I first saw them, I wasn't entirely sold on the Bills home uniforms. Then I saw them in action today. They look great. I may be in the minority, but I like the Raiders road look even better than their home uniforms; and I really like the home uniforms. This is what an NFL game should look like.

Raiders_Bills_Football_90445_game.jpg

4. Seahawks - Steelers: Another example of what NFL football is supposed to look like. One of the best road looks in the NFL playing one of the best home uniforms in the NFL. Fix that number font Steelers and you move to the top of the list.

Seahawks_Steelers_Football_90438_game.jpg

5. Texans - Dolphins: Add the Dolphins to the list of teams that look great in all white. The Texans are proof that modern doesn't have to be ugly. Best helmet match up of the week.

Texans_Dolphins_Football_90657_game.jpg

Honorable mentions: You know it's a great week when these games can only manage an honorable mention.

Chiefs - Lions, Cowboys - 49ers, Packers - Panthers, and believe it or not, I actually thought Ravens - Titans looked pretty good.

That's it for this week. We'll do it all over again next week.

BB52Big.jpg

The hell? Is that Helvetica on the Dolphins' jerseys?

If not, it's a close cousin. That was the nameplate font they used for a good chunk of the Marino era - possibly all the way from when they added the sleeve logo in the mid-'80s to when they made the switch from screenprinted to tackle-twill in '95 or so.

It's Helvetica. Definitely a Marino-era thing.

Buffalo also used Helvetica, although it was a Helvetica Heavy/Black hybrid, depending on the length of the name.

I think Buffalo was using Helvetica as far back as O.J.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

The Jets' continued insistence on wearing those hideous Titans of New York throwbacks baffles me. Never mind the fact that in and of itself, it's the worst uniform going, with no logo, no tradition of having no logo, a horrible color scheme, legibility issues with the puke yellow-green on navy blue, the fact that there's another team called the Titans now, that as bad as the throwbacks are the Jets' forest green and white is conversely one of the league's best looks, on and on. Consider that the brand-new billion-dollar+ stadium is so goddamn opulent that THE EXTERIOR TURNS F-CKING GREEN WHEN THE JETS PLAY and they don't have the decency to then wear green!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This was really one of the best looking weeks the NFL could have. There were easily 7 matchups that could have been at the top of my list in some weeks. I really like how the Lions looked in blue against the Chiefs wearing red pants. And the Bills really look great at home. Their away look would be better with blue pants, but that was a desperately needed change they made this season.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

The Jets' continued insistence on wearing those hideous Titans of New York throwbacks baffles me. Never mind the fact that in and of itself, it's the worst uniform going, with no logo, no tradition of having no logo, a horrible color scheme, legibility issues with the puke yellow-green on navy blue, the fact that there's another team called the Titans now, that as bad as the throwbacks are the Jets' forest green and white is conversely one of the league's best looks, on and on. Consider that the brand-new billion-dollar+ stadium is so goddamn opulent that THE EXTERIOR TURNS F-CKING GREEN WHEN THE JETS PLAY and they don't have the decency to then wear green!

Hey, that was a really good rant . . bitch.gif

I was so rooting for the J-E-T-S to get their initial stadium plan on the West Side of Manhattan approved. Would have been great. I so enjoyed going to Shea for Bills @ Jets games when they played there. That wildcard game from 1981 season was so wicked, loved it there. When I went to the original Meadowlands it just never had that NY feel or state of mind to it, like the one Alicia Keys sings about.

and regarding their unis .... Darkening the green in '98 was okay, but I wish they'd have not tampered with the pointed logo that they turned into an oval ... and at that near 45° angle like in the later AFL days ...

riddell-new-york-jets-tk-throwback-helmet%7E6372406w.jpg

Archived