The Utica Sabres

Blitz

Just a thought for expanding Mr. Pegula's WNY empire as well as "Sabres University"

Why not buy an ECHL (Columbia perhaps) team to add to the fold and put them in Utica? Utica has stated that they are planning on building a new arena to try to revitalize the downtown area, as well as to attract an affiliated team. Geographically Utica would be the perfect place to become part of Pegulaville.

They could be affiliated with Rochester which is right up the road, as well as Buffalo which is a little further up the road.

Anyhow, once again purely speculative - Here goes...

utiuni2.png

(The primary of course is a tweaked version of the old 'B' logo)

Thoughts???

canada.png

I could see something like that happening somewhere down the road. Saves time, gets a fan base going, plus not that far from the major affiliate. The look is pretty good too. I'd add the Sabres logo on the shoulder or something that symbolizes Utica (anything famous) & use that as well.

Great start though.

baltimoreravens.png

I could see something like that happening somewhere down the road. Saves time, gets a fan base going, plus not that far from the major affiliate. The look is pretty good too. I'd add the Sabres logo on the shoulder or something that symbolizes Utica (anything famous) & use that as well.

Great start though.

totally forgot the shoulder logos - fixed

I have added Rochester's logo to the other shoulder, however I am not sure if ECHL teams with an AHL affiliation actually do this or not.

canada.png

Great start though.

totally forgot the shoulder logos - fixed

I have added Rochester's logo to the other shoulder, however I am not sure if ECHL teams with an AHL affiliation actually do this or not.

Not to my knowledge, usually they do one special shoulder patch & then the NHL affiliate.

EDIT: Wheeling is the only one that does as far as I know.

baltimoreravens.png

Try flipping the logo. Right now, it's coming across as a 'V', not a 'U'.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

• 4 weeks later...

This wont fly well. Utica isnt Sabres territory. Its been a Ranger stronghold for nearly 40 years. Even the Devils are more popular than the Sabres because of the Utica Devils AHL team which featured Brodeur in the late 80s and early 90s. Take it from someone from the area.

This map has it right.

nhl_1280.gif

Utica is the yellow glob in the middle, and yellow is Rangers.

I just dont understand why people would think all of Upstate New York is a Buffalo market. Albany is 2 hours from NYC and 4 from Buffalo. Is that a Buffalo market? Hell, even Boston is 2 hours. NYC and Boston > Buffalo.

Once you go past Syracuse, Buffalo fans are not the majority fanbase.

Milwaukee is Sens country... who woulda though...?

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

You dont know how to read the map apparently. Ottawa Senators (100) just tallies the total votes on the map, not within that specific area. Milwaukee appears to be split between mostly Chicago and Detroit.

South Jersey is Flyers, which is also correct.

Lets not act as if its suggesting the Canadiens are the majority in Toronto, or the Bruins in San Jose.

Also, not even from a sports perspective, Buffalo has a very limited influence on Upstate NY. It only stretches as far as Rochester. Im not sure why people would think places like Albany or Utica are heavily influenced by Buffalo when its 3-4 hours away. Their influence is only exclusive to Western NY. They identify with Western NY, and nearly all of Buffalo's ads and community relations always say "Western NY."

Buffalo is a small market city and Upstate NY is very spread out.

Welcome to the boards. Note that the Concepts forum is generally more about the design and (perhaps) less about the feasibility of the team.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I'd add the Sabres logo on the shoulder or something that symbolizes Utica (anything famous) & use that as well.

Steamed hams?

Out of all the things "famous" from Utica, and you pick steamed hams? They wouldnt know what a steamed ham was if it punched them in the face. Chicken riggies, East Utica greens, Utica Club, halfmoons, pusties, etc.

Thats what you get for using The Simpsons as a reference.

I'd add the Sabres logo on the shoulder or something that symbolizes Utica (anything famous) & use that as well.

Steamed hams?

Out of all the things "famous" from Utica, and you pick steamed hams? They wouldnt know what a steamed ham was if it punched them in the face. Chicken riggies, East Utica greens, Utica Club, halfmoons, pusties, etc.

Thats what you get for using The Simpsons as a reference.

Additionally "steamed hams" is an Albany expression.

soundersbanner.png

Archived