White Stockings, anyone?

chitownsportsfan1

Hi guys, I'm a bit new to this forum, but I've visited the site for a while. I had a lot of time on my hands, so I thought, "what if the Chicago White Sox went back all the way to 1903 when they were the Stockings?" I was also thinking that they should at least wear white socks, so I played around with that too.

First off, I used Microsoft Paint, so please don't get TOO picky with the pixels and stuff.CWS_logos-1.png

I'd like to point out a few things:

1. The stars on the primary are representing the Chicago flag.

2. The cap logo is a lot like the other cursive C the Sox wore in the late 80's.

3. The uniforms have white socks, like their name.

4. The alternate is the one they have right now, just with changes to the outlines and stuff.

Enjoy.

So I'm not trying to sound too harsh, but I have to ask if you watch baseball much? I cannot remember a jersey with a chest logo (like your alt) where the logo was on the right breast. Just curious what the thought process was for that one, or if it was just an oversight. Also what's with the number being down at the bottom?

So I'm not trying to sound too harsh, but I have to ask if you watch baseball much? I cannot remember a jersey with a chest logo (like your alt) where the logo was on the right breast. Just curious what the thought process was for that one, or if it was just an oversight. Also what's with the number being down at the bottom?

Is this what you mean? I switched the chest logo to the left breast and the number to the right. I really didn't think to hard about what side each goes on.

CWS_logos-2.png

Now I'd like some general feedback on if you like it or not. Just so I know I'm not wasting anyone's time.

I can only think of one team with full chest wordmark/script that put their numbers on the right side, and that was the Reds in the '90s (they eventually corrected this.) It's just a baseball-aesthetic - chest logos go on the left (with numbers on the right if they exist) and numbers go on the left if there's a wordmark/script.

Watch a baseball game.

Good constructive criticism, :censored:. I happen to watch baseball a lot, I just don't pay attention to such things.

I really don't want to add any fuel to the fire here, but I think if you are going to make concepts, you better start paying attention to such things.

Anyway, I'm no expert, but here's what I think:

1. Stockings was shortened to Sox for a reason. It's just too wordy.

2. For some reason, you have three different fonts in here (and two in the primary alone). Gonna have to simplify that.

3. All three of these jerseys seem to be straight out of the 70's, go with a more modern template.

4. Ditch the drop shadow on the road uni, go with a simple outline instead.

5. Lose the striping at the top of the sock. It can work in football, but no so much in baseball (not like that anyway).

6. Not crazy about the cap logo. It worked well with the red, white, and blue scheme, but I'm not feeling it in black and white. Maybe adding a grey outline will help, but I'd consider something new.

7. I actually really like your primary, but it needs cleaned up quite a bit (and fix the font issue, of course).

I'd start with that. Hopefully it helps.

i like how you used the stars from the chicago flag. I think the idea of the chisox going by white stockings is actually pretty cool, but it would come down to execution.

I agree that 3 fonts is too many.

personally i like the sort of 70's retro feel to these jerseys.

if you've been reading this board for a while you should know that there is no aesthetic detail overlooked. just be prepared for it.

overall, i think the idea has potential and i think you have something to build from.

I'd like for someone to tell me if this is a good or bad start. This is my first posted concept.

Well since you get all snappy at people who give you C&C, then simply no. It's not. I won't explain my reasoning because you'll probably just complain about me saying anything more.

I'd like for someone to tell me if this is a good or bad start. This is my first posted concept.

Well since you get all snappy at people who give you C&C, then simply no. It's not. I won't explain my reasoning because you'll probably just complain about me saying anything more.

The only person I got snappy with was BringBackTheVet, only because he started to question my baseball knowledge. I can really take any grades and criticism, just not when someone makes it personal.

Watch a baseball game.

Good constructive criticism, :censored:. I happen to watch baseball a lot, I just don't pay attention to such things.

Then how the F do you expect to make good designs? The actual quality of the execution isn't in question here, but if you can't pay attention to detail, you aren't really going to go anywhere. If you feel that is too harsh, then you should think about engaging in other hobbies.

The only person I got snappy with was BringBackTheVet, only because he started to question my baseball knowledge. I can really take any grades and criticism, just not when someone makes it personal.

Funny - I've been sent real concepts by pros off-the-boards due to the quality of my c/c... which admittedly I don't give much anymore. Anyway, if you think that anything I've said has been personal, then my earlier comment stands and you need to find something else to occupy your time.

Archived