Location Name Changes

jhans203

I'd contend that football, not being forged in the urban northeast like baseball and basketball were, would never have a truly "New York City" feel to it anyway, the same way the Patriots are celebrated for being really good in the last decade without football being part of Boston or New England's cultural fiber. I mean, obviously people within and beyond the boroughs love the Giants and Jets, but they wouldn't be the Yankees or the Dodgers or the Knicks in terms of abstract New Yorkness even if they played within city limits.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I agree that the Jets and Giants should still be called New York, they just don't have that New York City feel to them anymore, sorry.

I've been to my share of Bills @ NY Jets games, both at Shea and at the Meadowlands. You felt like you're in NY when the Jets played at Shea, you don't in East Rutherford. Even tho' you can see the Manhattan skyline from the Meadowlands, you feel like you're in NJ and the Newark/Jersey City area. At Shea, we'd fly into LaGuardia Airport, but Newark for the games at Giants Stadium.

NYC messed up, and messed up twice IMO. They should have built the Jets their new stadium on the West Side of Manhattan, but the protesters sabotaged it. The Giants played at Yankee Stadium from 1955 and for the next 20 years. I'll never understand why they waited all those years to build their own stadium, and one in NJ when all logic would have been for them to rebuild the Polo Grounds into a new football stadium after the baseball Giants moved to SF in 1958, or in 1964 after the Jets moved into the newly built Shea Stadium. Polo Grounds was a short walk from Yankee Stadium. Now neither team still has that same NYC identity about them.

The NY City economy isn't benefited by the Giants and Jets playing in another State. It doesn't matter how close it is by being just over the river or thru the tunnels, it still another State which has Newark and Jersey City right next door to the Meadowlands. East Rutherford. is a suburb of Newark/Jersey City area ... not really of NYC.

You don't have the slightest clue what you are talking about. East Rutherford is 7 miles from Midtown Manhattan, it's "not really" of suburb of NYC? Newark and Jersey City is farther from East Rutherford than Manhattan is, about 11 miles from both.

I think I've been to enough games at the stadiums there to know what I'm talking about. While I agreed they should keep the NY names, they still lost alot of the identity by moving to NJ ...

7 miles .. 11 miles whatever ... they're still right there, and while still bit close to Manhattan, ya still got Jersey Ctiy and Newark right there.

Try telling me what I don't know about ... why didn't the Jets West side stadium come to pass, and why didn't the Giants build their stadium at the site of the old Polo Grounds?

2. While I don't have a problem with the Pats becoming the Boston Patriots, it would be off because I'm so used to hearing Boston followed by 2-syllable team names. Boston Red-Sox. Boston Cel-tics. Boston Bru-ins. The 2-2 syllable pattern works well but would sound off as Bos-ton Pat-ri-ots... if this makes sense to anyone.

It works if you're Randy Moss.

"This might be my last yer her, as a Pate-trit"

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Name Combinations I thought worked/think work:

California Angels - confusing to some perhaps, but differentiated it from the Dodgers.

Colorado Rockies - with "Rockies," Denver wouldn't have been nearly as alliterative.

Florida Marlins/Panthers - they could've went with Miami or Florida, but the teams tried to engender as much of South Florida into their marketing as possible, so these choices made sense.

Minnesota Twins - given the relationship between Minneapolis and St. Paul, this name made perfect sense half a century ago. Still does.

New England Patriots - changed from Boston when they moved to Foxborough; for a week was the "Bay State Patriots" until ownership figured out that they were going to start being referred to as the "B.S. Patriots."

Texas Rangers - a perfect name for a ballclub, although a good branding/identity package that takes advantage of those tie-ins hasn't occurred in the 40 years since.

Name Combinations I dislike(d):

Anaheim Angels/Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim - it's just me, but I grew up with my Angels playing as the California Angels. Anything else I've not caught on to.

Carolina Panthers - the Richardsons wanted to get people from SC to support the team. They have, but it's still Charlotte's team.

Carolina Hurricanes - You'd be amazed at how many nit-wits think the Hurricanes are a Charlotte team due to the Panthers. Call them the Raleigh Hurricanes already.

New York Islanders - the team plays on Long Island and not in NYC proper? Well, I guess it's no worse than the Giants/Jets, but that doesn't mean I like it all that much.

Tampa Bay Rays - the reasons behind their re-branding were silly, and the final result (the name, not the uniforms and such) was worse. Tampa Bay Stingrays would've been a better choice. Every time I hear "Rays" I start wondering when Ray Romano's going to pop out from somewhere.

Utah Jazz - should've rebranded when the team relocated from New Orleans. Naming a team the Salt Lake City Whatevers seems too long no matter what you put in there though (I always thought "Tampa Bay Devil Rays" was too wordy).

Name Combinations I dislike(d), but came around on:

Tampa Bay (anything but Rays) - Until I spent some time down there, I didn't understand the thinking, but the activities of both Tampa and St. Petersburg are tied to Tampa Bay proper, so it makes sense.

nav-logo.png

Try telling me what I don't know about ... why didn't the Jets West side stadium come to pass

Those scumbag Dolans, owners of Madison Square Gardens, were worried about losing their concert revenue to a new facility a couple blocks west. So they sunk untold millions into a disingenous ad campaign to push public opinion against it.

Bastards.

(CUT)

I don't agree that all teams should be named after a city either. Charlotte for instance, it's a small market and 5 miles from the the NC-SC state line. All logical marketing reasons would have been to name them Carolina, not Charlotte. Same thing with the Minnesota teams ... and the Twins, Vikings, and North Stars didn't originally play in Minneapolis, they were in Bloomington. After 40 years we all know that Golden State is associated with the Bay Area the Golden Gate Bridge being in the logo for a good portion of those years. Golden State sounds like Golden Gate. There's just no reason to change their name unless they had moved to a new arena in SF, but not now.

(CUT)

Yes...I saw two of those three teams play in Bloomington. But much like the Detroit (not "Michigan") Pistons, the suburban location is part of a greater metro area. There is a slight bet more trickiness with Mpls/St. Paul than DET.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I think I've been to enough games at the stadiums there to know what I'm talking about. While I agreed they should keep the NY names, they still lost alot of the identity by moving to NJ ...

7 miles .. 11 miles whatever ... they're still right there, and while still bit close to Manhattan, ya still got Jersey Ctiy and Newark right there.

Try telling me what I don't know about ... why didn't the Jets West side stadium come to pass, and why didn't the Giants build their stadium at the site of the old Polo Grounds?

I'm from the area, I live in Rutherford.. the idea that this area isn't a suburb of NYC is beyond ridiculous. Newark and Jersey City are part of the NY metro area.

The Jets didn't get their west side stadium because of Cablevision and MSG. They used their clout with Sheldon Silver and the NY assembly to block the plan. They did this for obvious reasons. You can see in this photo how close the West Side Stadium would of been from MSG.

PennStation.jpg

In my experience, the only people who have a serious problem with the New York Giants and Jets are those who haven't been here and don't understand the nature of our suburbs just happening to straddle state lines.

That, or frustrated Jersey partisans. :P

Fair enough. From afar always thought it was very odd though. And, the only New Yorker I've ever discussed it with in detail said he became a Bills fan when the City teams moved to NJ since the Bills were the only New York team left.

I guess if it (Meadowlands) really is considered to be, and recognized as, being in the New York metropolitan area, I can be swayed.

In some respects I think Vancouver BC is cooler than Seattle and the cities are relatively close and both in the same region, maybe I can say my studio is based in Vancouver BC :)

Just no to any Colorado teams switching to Denver...

The mountains are called the Colorado Rockies... hence the name Colorado Rockies. Plus Denver Rockies just sounds stupid.

Likewise, there are no Avalanches in Denver, they happen in the mountains of Colorado... Denver Avalanche sounds incredibly bad.

FYI - the original plans for the Carolina Panthers' stadium had it being built literally on the state line between NC and SC but Charlotte wanted it in the actual city (don't blame them). Also, the bottom of the Panthers' logo is supposed to mimic (in reverse) the state line between NC and SC. Downtown Charlotte is 10 miles from the state line. Carolina Panthers is appropriate.

FYI - the original plans for the Carolina Panthers' stadium had it being built literally on the state line between NC and SC but Charlotte wanted it in the actual city (don't blame them). Also, the bottom of the Panthers' logo is supposed to mimic (in reverse) the state line between NC and SC. Downtown Charlotte is 10 miles from the state line. Carolina Panthers is appropriate.

I'm skeptical of both claims. Those both sound like fan speculation which have accrued some phony Internet verification.

The first sounds like a jurisdictional nightmare. To which state would the team pay sales taxes, or the players pay income taxes? Which city/county would supply utilities, police officers, and everything else?

The second sounds equally fishy. If you have to reverse a logo to see a hidden element, then it probably wasn't placed there originally.

1. I think that Florida Marlins sounds much better than Miami Marlins. It rolls off the tongue

2. While I don't have a problem with the Pats becoming the Boston Patriots, it would be off because I'm so used to hearing Boston followed by 2-syllable team names. Boston Red-Sox. Boston Cel-tics. Boston Bru-ins. The 2-2 syllable pattern works well but would sound off as Bos-ton Pat-ri-ots... if this makes sense to anyone.

3. Also, in response to Dexter, while the Patriots don't play in Boston, it's not like the city of Foxborough has much significance, and I don't see it as much different from the Jets calling themselves New York, etc.

This photo was taken from inside Metlife Stadium, where the Jets and Giants play. You can't see Boston from the Patriots football stadium.

(photo)

..just saying

I wasn't trying to rip the Jets / Giants, I was just trying to say that I don't think many would oppose the Patriots changing their name to the Boston Patriots, nor do I see a problem with it.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

I'm from the area, I live in Rutherford.. the idea that this area isn't a suburb of NYC is beyond ridiculous. Newark and Jersey City are part of the NY metro area.

The Jets didn't get their west side stadium because of Cablevision and MSG. They used their clout with Sheldon Silver and the NY assembly to block the plan. They did this for obvious reasons. You can see in this photo how close the West Side Stadium would of been from MSG.

I think you either misinterpret what I wrote, or I didn't express myself correctly. Or the combination of the two.

While I don't live in the Tri-State area, I'm quite familiar with it. I am well aware that the Meadowlands is part of the NY metro area, but it's also in NJ, so I have a hard time referring to Summit or Rutherford as a NYC 'suburb' as say Uniondale-NY or New Rochelle.

My cousin lives in Summit-NJ, that's where I stay whenever we've gone to see the Bills at Jets games, and we always fly in thru to Newark, never JFK or LaGuardia, the latter when they used to play at Shea.

My reasoning for agreeing that they should be known as the NYJ and NYG is because they originally played in NYC and the distance to the newer stadium is in about the same proximity from Manhattan as Orchard Park is from South Buffalo, 7-10 miles.

Anyway, that proposed Jets stadium that got shot-down which was gonna be on the West side, can somebody tell me near what cross streets it was going to be located?? I'm curious because when I was a young boy my grandmother used to live in the most northern part of Manhattan's West side near Fort Tryon Park. Probably a really rough neighborhood now, and not too far from where the old NY Highlanders played pre-WWI ...

I think you either misinterpret what I wrote, or I didn't express myself correctly. Or the combination of the two.

While I don't live in the Tri-State area, I'm quite familiar with it. I am well aware that the Meadowlands is part of the NY metro area, but it's also in NJ, so I have a hard time referring to Summit or Rutherford as a NYC 'suburb' as say Uniondale-NY or New Rochelle.

My cousin lives in Summit-NJ, that's where I stay whenever we've gone to see the Bills at Jets games, and we always fly in thru to Newark, never JFK or LaGuardia, the latter when they used to play at Shea.

My reasoning for agreeing that they should be known as the NYJ and NYG is because they originally played in NYC and the distance to the newer stadium is in about the same proximity from Manhattan as Orchard Park is from South Buffalo, 7-10 miles.

Anyway, that proposed Jets stadium that got shot-down which was gonna be on the West side, can somebody tell me near what cross streets it was going to be located?? I'm curious because when I was a young boy my grandmother used to live in the most northern part of Manhattan's West side near Fort Tryon Park. Probably a really rough neighborhood now, and not too far from where the old NY Highlanders played pre-WWI ...

Here is what you said.

East Rutherford. is a suburb of Newark/Jersey City area ... not really of NYC

Anyone from here knows how dumb that is. The fact that it's in a different state is irrelevant. East Rutherford is a lot closer to Manhattan than Uniondale or New Rochelle.

Archived