Logo Downgrades

Brave-Bird 08

Just threw together a few good examples. All of these unveilings have made me want to rip my eyes out. (I know the Cal Riverside one isnt official, but the fact the school actually considered that and the other "new" renderings still upsets me) Any other examples?

What are yalls opinions? Are these all a product of a new style and image we just arent used to yet? Because I'd argue the decrease in quality and dynamics of each piece is overwhelmingly saddening.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know that you can draw a broader trend from a few scattered examples spanning several years.

In the past few weeks, we've seen some very good new logos. The new Blue Jays logo is a huge improvement, and the Atlanta Thrashers -> Winnipeg Jets change was also an immeasurable upgrade.

I definitely agree there's a trend towards downgrades, but I don't necessarily agree with all of your list. The Force logos are both acceptable and each have their own strengths and weaknesses. Mountain West went from being 90's clipart to something a bit more respectable and creative, even if it fails to properly identify it's allegiance. Both the Sonics and Thunder logos are equally horrible, so there's no downgrade there either.

On the one hand, I like that some new brandmarks are simpler, cleaner, and rely more on creative intent rather than postscript sizzle or photoshop flash.

But, the simplicity, IMO, isn't derived from improved intellectual creative processes. It's derived from our evolving "icon" visual language where everything needs to work as an iPhone app or Web 2.0 style mark. This trend will undoubtedly gain speed and we'll see an increasing number of over-simplified graphics that work primarily in 36x36 pixel dimensions.

Archived