Uniqueness....

TheFloridianLogoMan

I don't think it's a surprise now that the Miami Marlins new identity set will be one of the most unique logo packages in the history of Major League Baseball. It will be such a huge depart from the White Sox/Rockies style that's been the norm in South Florida since teal was severely cut back in 2003. It should be lauded, it should be celebrated, because next year, the Miami Marlins as they'll be called from then on won't look like any other team in the Majors, which is something we here in the CCSLC have been begging and clamoring for.

However, It SHOULD be....meaning, it's not going to be. It seems now, everyone in the real world despises this new look, and the uniforms haven't even been unveiled yet. With that in mind, I ask this question...

What should constitute a border between unique and TOO unique when it comes to sports team identities??

For instance, I believe my concept of the Miami Marlins back a few months ago was very unique for a team in the Majors, but still possessed a classic baseball look that is still needed. On the other hand, this new logo seems to be on the verge of being all about uniqueness ONLY....not much about the fact that the team is called the Marlins, ALL about the fact that they play in Miami, and almost nothing about the fact that this is supposed to be a baseball team (at least initially).

In addition, Would the Padres Brown and Yellowish Gold be too unique for today's standards? (I HIGHLY doubt that TBH)

Should powder blue tops/pants make a return as a road color, or is it "too 70s-80's"? (I hope, even if just an alternate road color)

white front panels on the Blue Jays caps, return of V-necks, stirrups, etc etc.

So, what do you think standards should be between unique and too unique?

There's a difference between not going with something because of uniqueness and not going with something because it looks atrocious. Just because something is "unique" does not mean that it is "good".

Charles Barkley wore 2 great examples of this, pretty sure you can guess which is unique and good and bad unique.

pg2_g_barkley01_500_display_image.jpg?1273455851

CharlesBarkleySuns.jpg

split color uniforms. If there ever comes a time where that happens on-field, I'm never watching sports again

Olden Polynice and Tim Richmond FTW

a2sp09.jpg

Sorry for making you have to fill your time in other ways.

split color uniforms. If there ever comes a time where that happens on-field, I'm never watching sports again

But it has been done before. And done well for that matter. Remember the Toronto Raptors split color road jersey? They may be the only sports team to have pulled it off so well for so many years...

vincecarter.jpg

There shouldn't be a line. Why restrict creativity?

Design is something that will never appeal to 100% of people. You cannot design something that every single person will like. For instance, a lot of people hated the Seahawks lime green jerseys but a lot of people loved them. Same with the Yankees jerseys. They're one of most timeless looks in all of sports. But just like everything else, some love them and some hate them.

There can never be a line because that line would be different for every person you ask. It's all about personal taste.

Design is something that will never appeal to 100% of people. You cannot design something that every single person will like. For instance, a lot of people hated the Seahawks lime green jerseys but a lot of people loved them. Same with the Yankees jerseys. They're one of most timeless looks in all of sports. But just like everything else, some love them and some hate them.

There can never be a line because that line would be different for every person you ask. It's all about personal taste.

Yes there should. What if a team went with pink and neon green as their only colors?

While it's true that there's no design that every single person loves equally, there are designs that are unaccepted by the majority of the people with only very few exceptions. I'd say any design (that doesn't cross the borderline of ridicule defined by basic logic) can be presented to the crowd and used as much as the team wants, even if it's not perfect, even if the majority of the people all point out the same flaws. Corrections can always be made. Take a look at the new Jets uniforms. People are divided: some love them, some have grown to accept them, some still despise them, some wish the Thrashers were still around. It's okay to have divided opinions, life you be boring if everyone felt the same about everything, obviously.

But that's the risk some designers are willing to take when rebranding an established franchise. They could either take the safe path and create something similar to their current look. Or they could take the risky path and take a chance by designing something completely different (and sometimes go crazy with wacky colors, logos, and patterns) and hope that the people won't tear it apart. IMO, every person has a 100% freedom of expression when it comes to creating uniforms for a team. Anybody has the right to design a purple Canadiens jersey with rainbow stripes and Barney the Dinosaur on the shoulder patches if they please. It's their right. I think it's better when designers who go out of the box, create an alternate jersey instead of completely rebranding a team. That way if nobody likes the new dud, it can be trashed much more easily. Imagine what would of happenned if the Mooterus would have been used full-time?

Yes there should. What if a team went with pink and neon green as their only colors?

While it's true that there's no design that every single person loves equally, there are designs that are unaccepted by the majority of the people with only very few exceptions. I'd say any design (that doesn't cross the borderline of ridicule defined by basic logic) can be presented to the crowd and used as much as the team wants, even if it's not perfect, even if the majority of the people all point out the same flaws. Corrections can always be made. Take a look at the new Jets uniforms. People are divided: some love them, some have grown to accept them, some still despise them, some wish the Thrashers were still around. It's okay to have divided opinions, life you be boring if everyone felt the same about everything, obviously.

But that's the risk some designers are willing to take when rebranding an established franchise. They could either take the safe path and create something similar to their current look. Or they could take the risky path and take a chance by designing something completely different (and sometimes go crazy with wacky colors, logos, and patterns) and hope that the people won't tear it apart. IMO, every person has a 100% freedom of expression when it comes to creating uniforms for a team. Anybody has the right to design a purple Canadiens jersey with rainbow stripes and Barney the Dinosaur on the shoulder patches if they please. It's their right. I think it's better when designers who go out of the box, create an alternate jersey instead of completely rebranding a team. That way if nobody likes the new dud, it can be trashed much more easily. Imagine what would of happenned if the Mooterus would have been used full-time?

That's what I'm saying. I love when teams go outside the box. There shouldn't be a line because that would eliminate people taking the design risks that they do. If a team wants pink and neon green as their colors that's their decision. There's nothing wrong with being different. There are too many teams that have the same color schemes because of fads. Yet too often when teams try to step a little out of the lines they get crucified for horrible decisions.

The lines already exist. They are just completely different depending on who you ask.

Yes, there should be a line. I fully support creativity, but this isn't art class. These are professional sports teams, not a painting that may or may not belong in a museum.

It's fun if a team does something crazy every once in awhile (i.e. Maryland's wild one-time flag uniform), but when it becomes a permanent option...there needs to be some sort of common sense.

Archived