2011-12 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

DCDuck

Wow, that was HUGE win for the Ducks. With that, they clinched a first round bye in the pac-12 tournament, and I believe if they beat Utah, they'll puch their ticket to the dance.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that was HUGE win for the Ducks. With that, they clinched a first round bye in the pac-12 tournament, and I believe if they beat Utah, they'll puch their ticket to the dance.

Madness.jpg

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It's that time again... Conference Championships begin today.

Big South Championship

#7 VMI Keydets at #1 UNC-Asheville Bulldogs

Records

VMI: 17-15 (8-10)

UNCA: 23-9 (16-2)

At this time last year, UNC Asheville was the underdog heading into the title game at heavily favored Coastal Carolina, but the Bulldogs prevailed and went on to win in the First Four. This season, they are now the hunted as the top seed in the newly expanded Big South tournament. With the advantage of the brand new Kimmel Arena, UNCA is gunning for back-to-back conference titles against the run and gun VMI Keydets, who won three games in four days to reach this game.

Ohio Valley Championship - Nashville, TN

#2 Tenneesee State Tigers vs. #1 Murray State Racers

Records

TNST: 20-11 (11-5)

MURR: 29-1 (15-1)

It's the rubber match between the Tigers and Racers, who split their season series during the regular season. Can Murray State keep it's momentum heading into the Big Dance.... Or does Tenneessee State stun them again and assure the Ohio Valley of two teams in March?

Atlantic Sun Championship - Macon, GA

#6 Florida Gulf Coast Eagles vs. #1 Belmont Bruins

Records

FGCU: 15-16 (8-10)

BEL: 26-7 (16-2)

Belmont won this game last season, routing North Florida in the process. This is their A-Sun swan song as the Bruins join the Ohio Valley next season. Standing in the way of a repeat is another team making their first ever D-I Conference Title Game appearance in Florida Gulf Coast, who stunned third seeded South Carolina Upstate and second seeded (and host school) Mercer to reach this game

It's that time again... Conference Championships begin today.

Big South Championship

#7 VMI Keydets at #1 UNC-Asheville Bulldogs

Records

VMI: 17-15 (8-10)

UNCA: 23-9 (16-2)

At this time last year, UNC Asheville was the underdog heading into the title game at heavily favored Coastal Carolina, but the Bulldogs prevailed and went on to win in the First Four. This season, they are now the hunted as the top seed in the newly expanded Big South tournament. With the advantage of the brand new Kimmel Arena, UNCA is gunning for back-to-back conference titles against the run and gun VMI Keydets, who won three games in four days to reach this game.

Ohio Valley Championship - Nashville, TN

#2 Tenneesee State Tigers vs. #1 Murray State Racers

Records

TNST: 20-11 (11-5)

MURR: 29-1 (15-1)

It's the rubber match between the Tigers and Racers, who split their season series during the regular season. Can Murray State keep it's momentum heading into the Big Dance.... Or does Tenneessee State stun them again and assure the Ohio Valley of two teams in March?

Atlantic Sun Championship - Macon, GA

#6 Florida Gulf Coast Eagles vs. #1 Belmont Bruins

Records

FGCU: 15-16 (8-10)

BEL: 26-7 (16-2)

Belmont won this game last season, routing North Florida in the process. This is their A-Sun swan song as the Bruins join the Ohio Valley next season. Standing in the way of a repeat is another team making their first ever D-I Conference Title Game appearance in Florida Gulf Coast, who stunned third seeded South Carolina Upstate and second seeded (and host school) Mercer to reach this game

Can't wait to see the Big South Championship Game today. Already got my VMI gear on, and hoping to wear it to Columbus (if I can tickets, and I get lucky to see them win and play there). I'm also eager to see the A-Sun Game and get a feel for what the conference is like, as NKU heads there next year.

If both FGCU & VMI win, we could see them in a First Four matchup in Dayton.

If Murray State loses the OVC championship, I have a feeling the NCAA will send them to the NIT. (Sorry, this IS the Big Dance - no room for two OVC teams.) As it is, I'm looking forward to seeing Murray open the tourney in Dayton.

LvZYtbZ.png

If Murray State loses the OVC championship, I have a feeling the NCAA will send them to the NIT. (Sorry, this IS the Big Dance - no room for two OVC teams.) As it is, I'm looking forward to seeing Murray open the tourney in Dayton.

It's so much harder to detect you trolling now with that new avatar :P

In addition to all the conference championship fun, Harvard came really close to choking away the Ivy League, again, last night. If they beat Cornell and Penn beats Yale tonight and Princeton Tuesday (neither one are gimmies by any means), we get a second straight year of Ivy tiebreak funtime

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

You probably know this, but if you're a fan of a bubble team like I am, you have to root for teams like Murray State so the teams that beat them won't take away a slot from another bubble team.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

In addition to all the conference championship fun, Harvard came really close to choking away the Ivy League, again, last night. If they beat Cornell and Penn beats Yale tonight and Princeton Tuesday (neither one are gimmies by any means), we get a second straight year of Ivy tiebreak funtime

Forgive me for not being convinced Murray State's any good. Let's see what they do when they play a team from the top six conferences.

LvZYtbZ.png

Forgive me for not being convinced Murray State's any good. Let's see what they do when they play a team from the top six conferences.

Top five. I'm sure they could beat most of the Pac-12.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Top five. I'm sure they could beat most of the Pac-12.

Regardless, they seem to be afraid to go to, say, Rupp Arena or the Carrier Dome and play a game.

LvZYtbZ.png

Regardless, they seem to be afraid to go to, say, Rupp Arena or the Carrier Dome and play a game.

...or those teams are afraid to have them in Rupp or Carrier to play. The big teams have nothing to gain and everything to lose in that situation.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

...or those teams are afraid to have them in Rupp or Carrier to play. The big teams have nothing to gain and everything to lose in that situation.

This is because Murray must be asking for too much - probably a two for one deal. Why not just ask for one game, at the opponent?

LvZYtbZ.png

Wow, Coach K needs to pull a miracle out of his butt to save Duke in the second half.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Murray State's tracking to be a 6.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

You can add Belmont to the list of teams who have an automatic bid. It's not the same team from a year ago, but don't count out the Bruins.

Outside of those games...

-Wichita State got stunned by Illinois State. The Redbirds now get Creighton in tomorrow's title game in St. Louis.

-Somewhere in Indiana, crashcarson is smiling like that damn cat from Alice in Wonderland right now... Why? Butler is getting their asses handed to them by Valpo (as of this moment, it's a 21 point lead for Valpo with under 6 minutes left)

-Harvard won... But so did Penn. It comes down to Tuesday's Penn-Princeton game in the Ivy League. Princeton wins and Harvard is going dancing. Penn wins and Harvard will get a serious case of deja vu (in other words, a one game playoff).

Not quite. Lunardi currently has the Ducks the first four out, and has 3 other Pac-12 teams in(Cal, UW, and Arizona). In the grand scheme of things, beating the Utes doesn't matter regardless of the pounding you put on them. The Cats tomorrow should beat the Scum Devils, where a loss would probably crush their at-large chances. In the conference tourney next week, the Cats drew a tough matchup in UCLA, cause they are a much bigger team, and looked good this past week.(99% certain it will be the Bruins cause they will beat 1 win USC in the first round). Pretty simple for the Cats IMO, win tomorrow and Thursday(And hope there are no bid thieves from smaller conferences), and we''ll be able to relax come Selection Sunday.

Link to the Bracketology:

Current Bracketology

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Three bids were given out last night. Today, only one is given out.

Missouri Valley Championship - St. Louis, MO

#4 Illinois State Redbirds vs. #2 Creighton Bluejays

Records

ILST: 20-12 (9-9)

CREI: 27-5 (14-4)

A funny thing happened on the way to a potential showdown between Wichita State and Creighton... and that was Illinois State. The Redbirds came out of the 9-9 dogpile that came from the middle of the conference to upset the heavily favored Shockers and face the high powered Bluejays, who have swept the Redbirds in the regular season

Archived