2011-12 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

DCDuck

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every season I make the case that some conferences should do the Ivy League method of giving the auto-bid to the regular season champ, even though conference tournaments are usually good moneymakers for the conference and do provide excitement to watch. Tonight I make that case because sub-.500 (in both overall and conference play) Western Kentucky is going dancing. Again, I know why conference tournaments are in place, it's just that I feel 3 games shouldn't be outweighing 16 conference games in traditionally one-bid conferences.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Every season I make the case that some conferences should do the Ivy League method of giving the auto-bid to the regular season champ, even though conference tournaments are usually good moneymakers for the conference. Tonight I make that case because sub-.500 (in both overall and conference play) Western Kentucky is going dancing. Again, I know why conference tournaments are in place, it's just that I feel 3 games shouldn't be outweighing 16 conference games in traditionally one-bid conferences.

The one way I would be for a 96 team field is if it was made such that the conference regular season champion got an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament as well.

But of course it was just an effort by the major conferences to get more of their teams in so now we have a messed up bracket every year with 4 play in games as a compromise.

I'll give the NCAA credit for at least making the conference title mean something, but yeah I do think regular season record should outweigh tournament performance and in the small conferences that isn't always the case.

This is why I hope the Ivy League doesn't get a post-season tournament. That Penn-Princeton game really added the tension of the last regular season game. Congratulations on the Harvard Crimson on their first NCAA tournament apperance since 1946.

Only twice in the past 17 seasons has Butler or UW-Milwaukee not been in the HL finals.

Which shows how big the Detroit-Valpo matchup is. A chance for someone else to hold the banner high for the Horizon League is a big deal.

And South Dakota State makes it official...FIRST RABBITS IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT!

(having owned a rabbit for his 8 1/2-year lifespan and taking care of another for her 4-year lifespan thus far, I am super-excited)

bYhYmxh.png

Ok, why in the hell does Lunardi project Seton Hall, Northwestern, and Xavier getting in ahead of Oregon? I know I know, blatant homerism, but still, you can't tell me that a team the just got clobbered by Depaul is a better team than someone who actually had a winning conference recod, has a better overall record, and is on the rise. It's a pathetic.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Western Kentucky won the Sun Belt Championship game over North Texas 74-70. What's signifigant is the fact that Western Kentucky is just only the 16th team to appear in the tourament on a losing record (15-18) and interm coach Ray Harper first division 1 tourament ever (Division II coach of the year 7 times).

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Western Kentucky won the Sun Belt Championship game over North Texas 74-70. What's signifigant is the fact that Western Kentucky is just only the 16th team to appear in the tourament on a losing record (15-18) and interm coach Ray Harper first division 1 tourament ever (Division II coach of the year 7 times).

Sounds like the Hilltopers will be in one of the 4 First Round games for sure.

Aren't the first 4 only made of 12 seeds?

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Ok, why in the hell does Lunardi project Seton Hall, Northwestern, and Xavier getting in ahead of Oregon? I know I know, blatant homerism, but still, you can't tell me that a team the just got clobbered by Depaul is a better team than someone who actually had a winning conference recod, has a better overall record, and is on the rise. It's a pathetic.

PROTIP: Don't go 1-3 against the teams ahead of you in the standings when your entire Conference is a dumpster fire. Or 0-3 against your RPI Top-100 Nonconference opponents.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Aren't the first 4 only made of 12 seeds?

Last 4 at larges play 2 games, worst 4 AQs play the other 2.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

PROTIP: Don't go 1-3 against the teams ahead of you in the standings when your entire Conference is a dumpster fire. Or 0-3 against your RPI Top-100 Nonconference opponents.

Protip: Check Oregons schedule before saying stuff like that. We're 1-2 against them. We only played Cal once, and we lost by 3, and we throttled Washington, and Washington's win against us was pre Devoe Joeseph.

Protip: Check Oregons schedule before saying stuff like that. We're 1-2 against them. We only played Cal once, and we lost by 3, and we throttled Washington, and Washington's win against us was pre Devoe Joeseph.

No, you lost to Cal twice.

Today, we are all otaku.

No, you lost to Cal twice.

Derp, my bad.

Still, that was before Devoe Joseph. Oregon is on the rise, while all those other teams aren't.

The Big Ten would like to admit both Villanova and South Florida to the Conference. Their incompetence tonight proves they belong.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived