2011-12 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

DCDuck

I bet God loves the fact that Baylor cheated in His name.

Oh I hated those shirts to. Actually found myself rooting for a John Calipari coached school. (I would definitely be on violation alert if I was a Kentucky fan to. Something tells me its not just "a commitment to winning" that's enabling Calipari to get all of these big name recruits to come there.)

I'm not shocked in the least they were dirty. The program has no history, its in Waco, they are a perennial conference whipping boy and then all of a sudden they're pulling in top ten recruiting classes like its nothing.

Pretty much any story I've heard like that almost always ends with the school getting hammered violation wise.

The fact that they have no history isn't going to help them either. I don't care what anyone says, it does matter how big your program is in terms of how hard the NCAA comes down on you.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday UCLA landed No.2 recruit Shabazz Muhammad. Next year for the Bruins is gonna be pivotal for coach Ben Howland after the disaster this year for the program. There is no excuse for them not to win what should be again a subpar PAC-12.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Entire Starting 5 for UK declairng pro!

This is where the whole "one and done" thing needs tweaking...

The only one of the group that I really question coming out is Teague. I think he could probably benefit from another year at the college level.

But there's a pretty good chance all five will go in the first round. Kentucky may even six first rounders if somebody takes Darius Miller.

As far as the one and done thing outside of raising/lowering the draft age limit I don't know what else you can do. Are you going to start punishing teams for recruiting certain players?

Larry Brown's back.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/cusa/story/2012-04-19/larry-brown-hired-at-smu/54417772/1

We'll see what he can do with SMU. The good news is they are going to the Big East in a couple years and coach like this will certainly give them some attention from high profile recruits. The bad news is SMU is one of the worst programs in the country. Been nearly two decades since they last made the tournament and little over a decade since they even last made the NIT.

Simply put, SMU ran out of viable candidates with coaching experience. Rick Majerus, Doc Sadler and Dan Monson turned them down.

This was the first program which Dave Bliss ruined and they have never recovered. The Metroplex has talent as McDonald's All-Americans which neither SMU or TCU keep in town (Bosh, Darrell Arthur, Anthony Randolph most recently). Ever since Larry Johnson committed to SMU, but was later ruled out academically was their KO blow. If Brown does not have a staff which can recruit and appeal locally to those players, he won't last even three seasons and it will be another disaster. They should have raided Johnny Jones from UNT before he returned to his alma mater, LSU. Jones could have had a greater stranglehold on the metroplex and Baton Rouge/New Orleans than Brown will.

On the bright side, his hiring may finally complete the donations needed to start renovating Moody Coliseum and bring up paid attendance, but they were only averaging 2,000 in Doherty's last few seasons even with full time students getting free. .

The only one of the group that I really question coming out is Teague. I think he could probably benefit from another year at the college level.

But there's a pretty good chance all five will go in the first round. Kentucky may even six first rounders if somebody takes Darius Miller.

As far as the one and done thing outside of raising/lowering the draft age limit I don't know what else you can do. Are you going to start punishing teams for recruiting certain players?

These players shouldn't come to college at all. Don't have any restrictions and you don't get schools like Kentucky serving as purgatory between college and the NBA. Why was that rule even implemented in the first place? On one side you have college kids who either never wanted to come to college, would rather be in the NBA, or both. On the other hand you have schools that lose out on talent after only one year (unless you're Kentucky, where the goal is to recruit one and dones). I've always thought that the idea of going to college just to play in the NBA is silly. The NBA is controlling the life choices of the players. Let the player himself make the decision.

These players shouldn't come to college at all. Don't have any restrictions and you don't get schools like Kentucky serving as purgatory between college and the NBA. Why was that rule even implemented in the first place? On one side you have college kids who either never wanted to come to college, would rather be in the NBA, or both. On the other hand you have schools that lose out on talent after only one year (unless you're Kentucky, where the goal is to recruit one and dones). I've always thought that the idea of going to college just to play in the NBA is silly. The NBA is controlling the life choices of the players. Let the player himself make the decision.

Ask the NBA why the rule was implemented to begin with. I think you can make a pretty good argument that the NBA having a rule like this is unconstitutional and as was the inital case with Maurice Clarrett somebody did so and got a judge to agree with that argument. Good luck finding enough interested parties to file a suit and perhaps even tougher getting the Supreme Court to even hear the case.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• 3 months later...

We do not need to have a 2012-13 thread now, but the summer has given us:

1- Rick Majerus is Out @ SLU. Shocker! (NOTE: If your coach is obese and had lived in a hotel for the majority of his coaching life, how is this news to you as an employer? He has little self control.) Plus SLU campus is near some of the top hospitals in the US, yet he went to California? WTF? He could not go to Barnes-Jewish ranked #8 in pulmonary issues?

2- Dan Dakish says he left WVU after a week due to payments to players.

3- UCLA has issues with Shabazz Muhammad.

4- Jim Calhoun fell of a bike AGAIN yet still wants to coach even though UConn is on probation for low APR plus a post-season ban.

UK as their usual issues with eligibility and how Rupp will be renovated.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived