Miami Marlins

fishheatcats

You probably saw this coming a mile away, but here is my inevitable Miami Marlins fix.

As you can see it looks absolutely nothing like the nonsense that was leaked last week. The set takes cues from both the old minor league Miami Marlins as well as the Florida Marlins.

Satchel+Paige+Marlins2.jpg39Xii5Tj.jpg

The custom home/alt script combines aspects of the old and current Marlins scripts, and the road script is based off the original Florida away jerseys, using a modified version of the original font. The cap logo is a "Miami" version of the Marlins "F" cap, with a new fish, who's semi-cartoonish style is inspired by the old Miami team's logo.

The jerseys are more or less based of the 1993-1996 look, sans pinstripes on the home set.

mmarlins.png

The whole package is reminiscent of both previous eras of Marlins baseball in South Florida, and, you know, and is intended to look like it was designed for a baseball team(the actual new logo manages to accomplish neither of those goals).

C&C always welcome!

I'm not a huge baseball fan so couldn't say whether the logo is an improvement over what's gone before or not, but one thing I would say is the script needs some work. The ligature into the S needs some tweaking with it curving out the way rather than inwards as is normal the S reads more like an O or worse still when read in conjunction with the underline a G leaving it reading Marlino or Marling.

I'd also maybe look at the angle of the baseball, at the moment with the Marlin covering most of the ball it kind of makes the stictching read like a cross + rather than )( which you would usually expect. It's an optical illusion I know but it's something you might want to look at tweaking.

Like I said not a huge follower of baseball, but I like what you've got so far and look forward to seeing it progress.

9ersteve

9ersstevesig.png

You probably saw this coming a mile away, but here is my inevitable Miami Marlins fix.

As you can see it looks absolutely nothing like the nonsense that was leaked last week. The set takes cues from both the old minor league Miami Marlins as well as the Florida Marlins.

Satchel+Paige+Marlins2.jpg39Xii5Tj.jpg

The custom home/alt script combines aspects of the old and current Marlins scripts, and the road script is based off the original Florida away jerseys, using a modified version of the original font. The cap logo is a "Miami" version of the Marlins "F" cap, with a new fish, who's semi-cartoonish style is inspired by the old Miami team's logo.

The jerseys are more or less based of the 1993-1996 look, sans pinstripes on the home set.

mmarlins.png

The whole package is reminiscent of both previous eras of Marlins baseball in South Florida, and, you know, and is intended to look like it was designed for a baseball team(the actual new logo manages to accomplish neither of those goals).

C&C always welcome!

First off, baseball block numbers. The ones you have make it look like a generic jersey you buy at JCPenny's.

Second, the silver in between the teal and black on the home script make the letters look to thick. The one on the alt looks better because the actual letters are more defined. You may want to mess around with the home script a little, maybe thinning the letters a bit so as to decrease the thick look of 'em.

Third, seperate the letters in "Miami" some. It's a small word crammed together on a big space. Give them some spacing so it doesn't have to be too big on the jersey front.

Fourth, move the tail of the marling behind the 'M' on the cap logo. As is now, it just looks like a fish in front of an 'M'. Make it loop around from behind at the bottom.

All in all, great work.

It's certainly better than what they'll be wearing next season.

The only thing is, that I actually would prefer that the Marlins avoid a cursive-y wordmark. They've done a fine job of avoiding that, and they are the only team in their division that doesn't use a cursive-y wordmark. It gives them some originality.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Love it. Like I've been saying since that crap leaked, they've had great success in their short history in those unis. Not to mention they look great. This is a great tweak, and with a few adjustments, is MILES ahead of what they will be wearing.

I'd be OK maybe, with an alternate with those wacky new colors on it. But for a full set, no.

sig.png

Thanks for the comments guys.

I'll go back and tweak the "S" in the script and also play with the cap logo a bit. I think I'll just remove the little "loop" on the bottom of the "S", so it looks more like the script in the picture of the old team.

@BigBubba there is orange in the palette for the laces in the baseball. The only place orange is in any 1993-2011 Marlins logo is the laces in the baseball on the primary logo. As much as I absolutely despise the use of orange by the club on pretty much everything they do besides the unis, a Marlins logo just looks wrong without orange laces to me.

I agree with the other statements here - Fix the script and you are on to something.

Teal has been such a key part of the Marlins' identity. What were they thinking by dumping it (or shrinking it to nothing)? You have to wonder if they are going to pull a Lightning and change their design, as it looks like no one likes it.

UPDATE:

? Tweaked the "s" in Marlins script and swapped outlines on home version to reduce "thick" look.

? Fish now wraps around the "M" on the cap logo

? Spaced out letters in "Miami" road wordmark

? Changed number font to the actual Marlins numbering

The suggestions really improved it. Thanks all.

mmarlins.png

Just once I'd like to see someone take a stab at Miami without using teal.

Teal is the Marlin's color. Well, was the Marlin's color. They're one of two teams in baseball who use it, and in the 90s/early 2000s, they used it right.

bannernigga3-1.jpeg

Click the Banner - Join the Movement!

Bannertop.jpeg

I know I'm new (like today new) but, I just discovered this site a short while ago and makes work days much more tolerable!

Anyway, I love the color scheme, compared to the proposed new one especially.

What if you were to add a "fish-tail" effect to the end of the tail coming under the script on the home and alternate wordmarks. Might give it an interesting look.

Archived