What DOES an ideal football uniform look like?

Chawls

I've had this talk with my wife and we both agree that a great football uniform is having a different colored jersey than pants. Baseball and basketball look better when the top matches the bottoms 99.98% of the time. Football looks much better when you have a contrast. What drives me batty is when a team wears a white jersey with white pants. It seems like they are wearing long johns with numbers.

noutep2-med.gifnmst2-med.gifnmst1-med.gifnonmex-med.gif

Go Aggies!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A football uniform sucks if:

It has a gray facemask and gray isn't one of the colors.

It has anything other than block letters (exceptions to this are the Chicago Bears and Florida State).

It doesn't have numbers on the arms or shoulders (and that includes Alabama).

It doesn't have a logo on the helmet (and that, too, includes Alabama, as well as Penn State and the Cleveland Browns).

It doesn't look clean, and instead is all cluttered or looks like it would well represent a team called the Clowns.

I can agree w/ these statements, especially the gray mask part... HATE them, unless gray is in the teams colors...

I love it when all the stripes are consistent across all colors. Like the Florida Gators. I think they have the perfect striping patterns. However the script helmet prevent it from being the perfect uniform.

Florida+v+Tennessee+-itv7AF-1iwl.jpg

I completely understand where you're coming from when you refer to this as striping consistency, Drew. However, to me it's a mess. And it all has to do with how the element on which the stripes appear is perceived. To me, the helmet, jersey and pants are all simply background or the medium on which the stripes sit and I don't consider their colors relevant to the colors of the stripes (as far as consistency goes). So to me, the stripes are as follows: On the helmet, it's three stripes: they're blue-white-blue (a Braisher stripe, if you will). On the jersey, there are four stripes: orange, blue, space, blue, orange. On the pants, there are three stripes: orange, space, white, space, orange.

To me, it's about consistency between the helmet and the pants. The sleeve stripes can be entirely different as long as the pants stripes and helmet stripes match. When there's a situation where the pants are a different color than the helmet, then I don't know what to do. Ha. I guess it's more to do with patterns than colors. On the Gators, for example, the pants stripe should be orange, white, orange with no space in between. Pattern consistency versus actual color consistency.

(In a perfect world, they wouldn't be wearing blue pants though, because to me, that color is too dark to wear with a white jersey!)

That's the kind of homer meathead posting that nobody wanted. thx

I'll echo the sentiments about matching stripes. I also tend to favor alternating colors: matching helmets and pants, matching jerseys and socks. Of course, with helmets being used home and away, you can't have this ideal all the time, or even half the time. But this pattern is very pleasing to the eye: Packers, Raiders, Colts, and yes, that Dolphins jersey.

I don't mind all-white uniforms, though. In fact, I love them! They're pure.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

That's the kind of homer meathead posting that nobody wanted. thx

I'll echo the sentiments about matching stripes. I also tend to favor alternating colors: matching helmets and pants, matching jerseys and socks. Of course, with helmets being used home and away, you can't have this ideal all the time, or even half the time. But this pattern is very pleasing to the eye: Packers, Raiders, Colts, and yes, that Dolphins jersey.

I don't mind all-white uniforms, though. In fact, I love them! They're pure.

Homer meathead? Could it be that my aesthetic preferences are simply aligned with my rooting interest in this one instance without at the same time being a result of said interest?! Indeed, if you take a look, I mentioned disliking the new Dolphins colors. Yes, disliking. Tell me, does my dislike for my hometown team's current jerseys also evince a "homer meathead" mentality?

I suppose yours, then, is the kind of imbecilic, presumptuous posting few people care for.

Really, dude? You edited out the part where you said that the original Dolphins unis looked good simply because of the perfect season.

If his post was in reply to that quip, which was entirely facetious and lasted but a few minutes before I came to my senses, then your point and his are well taken. However, to the extent that his post assumes that one cannot both be a fan of a team and have a reasonable perspective on that team's uniforms, my retort still applies.

Archived