Oklahoma City Hornets

The_Admiral

OKCHornetsprimarycopy.jpg

Of course, the idea here is that the Hornets stayed put after 2007. Same eventual update of Hugo, but recolored to black and yellow to make a break from the Mardi Gras era and generally "grow up" from teal, with "Bricktown Brick Red" added for accenting on the lettering, court, and uniforms. I had to use a lighter brown for the basketball, which isn't officially in the color scheme.

hornets2ndary.jpg

Kind of a parallel universe Thunder logo here, I suppose. Not a fan of it myself, but I needed a new secondary. Feels a little perfunctory to me.

hornetshome.jpghornetsroad.jpg

I feel this is a pretty good marriage of Western typography and stinging insects. I'm surprised the Charlotte Hornets didn't do honeycomb paneling first, honestly.

OKCHornetshomescriptcopy.jpgokcroadscript.jpg

Closer looks at the jersey scripts.

okccourt.jpg

I feel like making the hornet's wings translucent is a pretty novel application of two-tone stain. I contemplated having black and yellow stripes on the sidelines, but that made it look like a crime scene.

Overall, I feel like this would've been a pretty good direction for the Hornets to go in, if only for addition by subtraction: no ugly pinstriped NO Hornets uniforms, and no Thunder. My biggest gripe with it is that my font of choice, Pointedly Mad, has a really ugly T, and that's kind of important for this team's name.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Overall, I feel like this would've been a pretty good direction for the Hornets to go in, if only for addition by subtraction: no ugly pinstriped NO Hornets uniforms, and no Thunder. My biggest gripe with it is that my font of choice, Pointedly Mad, has a really ugly T, and that's kind of important for this team's name.

Try insane Rodeo. I think a better secondary logo needs to be used, the state outline in black and yellow just doesn't look right. Maybe put the Hornet in flightor find something else theat's Oklahoma City/ Oklahoma.

• 3 weeks later...

i think the honey comb pattern should more more subtle. replace the black with red and it will help.

It is red--on the court, at least. Hard to tell, I guess, but I'm pretty sure all the honeycomb detailing is red. They're bricks for bees, you see.

Time O'Brien, losing the honeycomb on the court is a non-starter. I want more interesting courts again. Not all of them, of course, and nothing so insane as the old Houston Rockets or Charlotte Hornets. I think it's important to have a little bit of creative with the classic so they all complement one another. You can appreciate the Celtics' floor more when the Hornets have something unorthodox going on, and vice versa.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Time O'Brien, losing the honeycomb on the court is a non-starter. I want more interesting courts again. Not all of them, of course, and nothing so insane as the old Houston Rockets or Charlotte Hornets. I think it's important to have a little bit of creative with the classic so they all complement one another. You can appreciate the Celtics' floor more when the Hornets have something unorthodox going on, and vice versa.

It's just Tim, btw,

but if you really wanna keep the comb, lose the bee stripes above the paint or maybe move the comb to around the court.

listen, as the guy who came up with these court designs:

Bullets_Court_2.jpg

Hawks_Court_1.jpg

Orange_Court_2.jpg

Pacer_Court_1.jpg

I agree, courts should be more original.

i think the honey comb pattern should more more subtle. replace the black with red and it will help.

It is red--on the court, at least. Hard to tell, I guess, but I'm pretty sure all the honeycomb detailing is red. They're bricks for bees, you see.

Totally off topic, but I love that you have that as your sig. ^_^

I love everything about it except for that font on the front of the jerseys. Maybe making it shorter/thinner would help it, making it look a lot like the Kansas Jayhawks in scale. I love the honeycomb pattern on the side panels, just make the lines slightly thinner. The court is awesome. Don't change a thing there.

This logo works so much better in black and gold/yellow than purple and teal, blue and yellow...all of the other color schemes used.

282285.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FD1142E8827E25A80A81AC6316B3C8460FF54E8C4E339DDFD4

87Redskins.png

The only thing I would suggest would be to lose the stripes on the court design. The honeycomb is great, but the stripes make the whole thing a little busy.

Other then that, solid job. I don't know why, but I love this colour scheme with this logo, and while I'm generally not a fan of this type of font, it fits in perfectly.

NBA courts are mostly big, blank canvases that could dearly use the kind of creativity that you've applied to this one, admiral.

Nice use of the honeycomb element.

The font is great, but you're right; that 'T' is a little limp.

It just needs a bit more "horizontalness" across the top.

I think that the "CITY" part of your wordmark (on the jerseys), should have the same curvature (flipped of course) as the "OKLAHOMA" part...It seems a little too rounded.

I'd keep the secondary logo.

It would make a fantastic foam finger.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived