2011 MLB Postseason

TBGKon

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bases loaded with two outs in the first inning and the Yankees already have some action in their bullpen.

And oh my god, what a catch by Granderson.

Should of been an easy catch. Granderson is awful at reading balls off the bat. I'm sure the Tiger fans on here will back me on this. Gardner should be the Yankees CFer, been saying it for almost 2 years now.

Balls like that one, though, are damn near impossible to read off of the bat.

Not if you're in the outfield taking a piss and are "putting the monster away" while you're catching a ball....

28,299 showed up to see the Rays season end earlier today. Move this team. Seriously.

If this was a Friday night-Sunday game, you would have a point.

Instead, it was a Tuesday early afternoon game that was scheduled under a week ago. How many folks have the luxury of taking off work and ditching school to go watch a playoff game?

I agree that the scheduling is BS and not fair to people with jobs or kids, but in a large marker where there's interest in the team, there would be at least 40,000 people who could make it to the game and who would purchase the tickets on the second-hand market. I know Philadelphia is different than Tampa, but you could probably easily sell a Tuesday afternoon ticket for at least double the face value if you couldn't make it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Indeed... plus Boston has a team that's among the NFL's Elite, and the defending Stanley Cup Champions. Surely there's more to do than to tune in just to watch your rivals lose.

Assuming of course that every Red Sox fan is also a fan of the NFL, NBA, and NHL and that their favorite teams are the Patriots, Celtics, and Bruins. I'm not trying to be a smart-ass or start an argument. It's just that the logic of this type of reply escapes me. Especially when we see it pop up here, of all places, as often as it does. How many people on these very boards have "favorite" teams from different markets? How many people here like one sport but couldn't care less about another?

We really need to come up with a name for the old "you're not allowed to complain about sport A if a team from your city has won a title in sports B, C, or D in the last ten years" argument. I humbly suggest that we call it "The Big Four Fallacy." B)

No offense, but you wasted your time with your reply to mine, since the individual I'm talking about is clearly a fan of the Boston-based teams (look at his signature.) Therefore if he's focusing more on his hatred of one team than the other good teams he has to cheer for, it's rather quite pathetic.

It wasn't a "waste of time." My points were valid whether they applied to your particular post or not. Is your position that since his team is no longer playing, he should ignore the playoffs? If that's the case, then there are a lot of us who should just move on to football or hockey.

Why is it "rather quite pathetic?" There were quite a few of us here who spent the last week of the season watching baseball just to cheer on the Red Sox collapse. Were we supposed to just move on to another sport? I think you get the point I'm trying to make.

Hell, that's what I do all the time if my team isn't in it. About the only two sports I'll watch even if my team is eliminated is football and hockey, but that's because I like those sports more. To the "rather quite pathetic" comment, I've always found that whether it's sports-related or not, people who just root for someone to fail show a severe lack of character on many levels. I mean, take the New York Yankees, or an individual player like LeBron James... do I root for them to win? No. Do I care if they lose? No. I simply don't tune in regardless, because I have better things to do with my time, since my life will not drastically change depending on whether they win or lose.

But yes, I get the point you're trying to make, and that you're one of those people.

It wasn't a "waste of time." My points were valid whether they applied to your particular post or not. Is your position that since his team is no longer playing, he should ignore the playoffs? If that's the case, then there are a lot of us who should just move on to football or hockey.

Why is it "rather quite pathetic?" There were quite a few of us here who spent the last week of the season watching baseball just to cheer on the Red Sox collapse. Were we supposed to just move on to another sport? I think you get the point I'm trying to make.

Hell, that's what I do all the time if my team isn't in it. About the only two sports I'll watch even if my team is eliminated is football and hockey, but that's because I like those sports more. To the "rather quite pathetic" comment, I've always found that whether it's sports-related or not, people who just root for someone to fail show a severe lack of character on many levels. I mean, take the New York Yankees, or an individual player like LeBron James... do I root for them to win? No. Do I care if they lose? No. I simply don't tune in regardless, because I have better things to do with my time, since my life will not drastically change depending on whether they win or lose.

But yes, I get the point you're trying to make, and that you're one of those people.

BS like "severe lack of character on many levels" and personal shots like "you're one of those people" tell me it's time to end the conversation. I should have known better.

BB52Big.jpg

To the "rather quite pathetic" comment, I've always found that whether it's sports-related or not, people who just root for someone to fail show a severe lack of character on many levels.

I'm sorry. I like baseball, but the Jays weren't in it at the end, so in terms of having something attainable to root for I cheered for a divisional rival to complete a historic collapse. Likewise, I adopted the Diamondbacks as my "second" team because of the dramatic way in which they beat the Yankees in the 2001 World Series.

I had no idea these were signs of massive personal failings. I'll be sure to sign up for therapy to rectify the issue though. Thanks!

20 pages without somebody bringing up how "Written in the Stars" is implanted into their heads by now. I'm impressed ^_^

That's been overridden by TBS/TNT's baffling use of Britney Spears' "'Til The World Ends" as bumper music. (Face it, a pseudo-techno dance tune by a way-past-expiration late '90s pop tart doesn't exactly scream "postseason baseball".)

CCSLC signature.png

Drakonius, is it ever possible for you to simply disagree with someone without vaguely insinuating that they have "severe problems"?

Usually not. I'm a very combative person.

At least you're honest about it. Gotta respect that.

BB52Big.jpg

20 pages without somebody bringing up how "Written in the Stars" is implanted into their heads by now. I'm impressed ^_^

I'll give TBS some credit for not ramming Conan or Frank TV ads down out throats like they've done in previous years.

6uXNWAo.png

I'll give TBS some credit for not ramming Conan or Frank TV ads down out throats like they've done in previous years.

Oh jeez, Frank TV.. that was so annoying. And how long did that show last?

Drakonius, is it ever possible for you to simply disagree with someone without vaguely insinuating that they have "severe problems"?

Usually not. I'm a very combative person.

At least you're honest about it. Gotta respect that.

Thank you, Red.

As for Frank TV, according to Wikipedia it lasted only 2 seasons, and 15 episodes. In other words it was only slightly more successful than the Geico-inspired Cavemen spinoff show. But I agree, thank God they cut out the 15,000,000 advertisements concerning the show. If a station has to pump up a show that much, you should already know it's bad.

Archived