2011 MLB Postseason

TBGKon

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ha. The Cardinals are the only team I like more than the Braves.

*sigh...* I suppose the Cards have to be my NL team, don't they? I can't very well pull for the Phillies, because, well, they're the Phillies. Nyjer Morgan and Prince Fielder are completely unlikable tools. I'd pull for the D-backs, but that would be supporting their new color regime, which I hate. In short, the Cards have classy uniforms, *mostly* classy players (cough Chris Carpenter cough), and a manager that I slightly despise. Maybe Pujols love can conquer all. :P

Thank goodness picking my AL team is easier. Go Rays! :grin:

bannernigga3-1.jpeg

Click the Banner - Join the Movement!

Bannertop.jpeg

Want Yankees vs. D-Backs in WS.

Revenge for 2001.

No offense, but that's pretty godd*mned silly. You still have 27 other championships to boast be happy about. :P

I mean, I'd get it if a Rays fan wanted a rematch with the Phillies (hell, I'm still waiting for the Jazz to cream the Bulls two years in a row :P), but I'm sorry, a Yanks fan wanting revenge on anyone is hilarious.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Let's get into some predictions. Oh before beginning, sorry to be a debbie downer with parity, but all 4 teams in the AL have won the AL pennant the past 5 seasons and 3 out of the 4 teams in the NL won the World Series the past 10. If you want a shake up, root for the Brewers. :upside:

It just so happens that's also my World Series pick.

Yankees in 4 (Outside of Verlander the Yankees should beat the Tigers)

Rays in 5 (Rematch of last year's ALDS, but I think the Rays late-season run propels them to a win over the Rangers this time. This is probably gonna be the most fun of the LDS's)

Brewers in 3 (Brewers will be able to beat the D-Backs. The games will be close but I think the Brewers get by them)

Phillies in 4/5 (I want to say the Cards, but picking against the Phillies seem too much of a danger in the LDS)

Rays in 7 (I'm guessing it's a little "Be careful what you wish for" scenario for the Yanks, but remember, momentum means everything in October)

Brewers in 6 (See: 2010 NLCS)

Brewers in 6 (I think the Rays momentum will only take them so far and the Brewers' bats will be able to seal the deal to take the title)

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

I don't mind anybody picking the Phillies--they should be the favorites in the whole thing, let alone the NLDS.

BUT, hopefully the Cardinals aren't being written off. They didn't just take 3/4 from the Phillies at the end of the year, they also took 6/9 from the Phillies the whole year, and that includes beating each of the Phillies big four at least once. Plus, after a team comes back from 10.5 games down in just over a month, I'm not sure anybody ought to be saying they can't do something.

And then the other side is that this is a baseball short series. Baseball's the most random of the major sports. The best teams don't always win, and that's what makes baseball's playoffs so unpredictable.

Phillies ARE the team to beat. Just don't be surprised if someone, including the Cardinals, does.

Tigers over Yankees in 4

Rangers over Rays in 5

Phillies over Cardinals in 4

Brewers over Diamondbacks in 5

Tigers over Rangers in 6

Brewers over Philies in 7

Tigers over Brewers in 6

Yeah, I'm a homer what you gonna do about it?

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

Here's my predictions:

ALDS:

Rangers over Rays in 5

Yankees over Tigers in 4

NLDS:

D'Backs over Brewers in 5

Phillies over Cardinals in 5

ALCS:

Rangers over Yankees in 6

NLCS:

Phillies over D'Backs in 5

WORLD SERIES:

Philies over Rangers in 7

bjays.jpg

859b2e1d-225e-4e60-9651-2aebe5e67109_zps4fd9e69d.jpg

Active Teams

Winnipeg Blue Bombers (1-2, T-1st, East Div.)

Toronto Blue Jays (45-49, 5th in AL East Div. 8.5 GB of wildcard spot)

Even though it's been 5 seasons already, it's still hard to get used to these postseason games on TBS. It's not that they do a bad job, it's just that it's a network that airs non-exclusive Sunday afternoon games then, boom, the entire LDS is on the same channel. That and I feel like I haven't turned on TBS since the NCAA Tournament

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

I'd like to say I'm thrilled about how the Rays are playing, but considering last year's "performance" vs. the Rangers, I'm still nervous and waiting for the collapse. B)

That being said, our pitching matches up much better with their offense this year, due to the main weakness in the Rangers' offense eloquently described here by DRaysBay - they can't hit the curveball. Their -8.7 wCB is fourth-worst in the AL. The Rays' +7.5 wCB is third-best in the AL. What's more, most of our pitchers are scary good at it. James Shields: +12.2 wCB(!). Cesar Ramos: +2.8 wCB. Matt Moore: +0.2 wCB in only 9.1 innings of work. Don't be surprised if you see more curveballs thrown than usual this series.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I'd like to say I'm thrilled about how the Rays are playing, but considering last year's "performance" vs. the Rangers, I'm still nervous and waiting for the collapse. B)

That being said, our pitching matches up much better with their offense this year, due to the main weakness in the Rangers' offense eloquently described here by DRaysBay - they can't hit the curveball. Their -8.7 wCB is fourth-worst in the AL. The Rays' +7.5 wCB is third-best in the AL. What's more, most of our pitchers are scary good at it. James Shields: +12.2 wCB(!). Cesar Ramos: +2.8 wCB. Matt Moore: +0.2 wCB in only 9.1 innings of work. Don't be surprised if you see more curveballs thrown than usual this series.

You can stop worrying now, it's 8-0 Rays!!!!! lol

Shows you what I know...

As much as I'd like to see both teams do some damage, I just don't see St. Louis or Tampa Bay getting past the divisional series. Their pitching isn't set up and they spent a lot of energy just to get here.

Not that much energy apparently...

No way would I have guessed the Rays come into Arlington for game one and beat the daylights out of the Rangers. Here's hoping Detroit does the same thing to the Yankees.

BB52Big.jpg

My Predictions

Division series:

Detroit Tigers 3

OVER

New York Yankees 1

Tampa Bay Rays 3

OVER

Texas Rangers 2

Arizona Diamondbacks 3

OVER

Milwaukee Brewers 1

Philadelphia Phillies 3

OVER

St. Louis Cardinals 0

I chose the Tigers over the Yankees mostly because I'm a Red Sox fanbecause of the Tigers' pitching staff. In a short series, pitching will trump hitting.

The Rays rout of the Rangers today has convinced me they're better than the Rangers, much to my chagrin.

I just like the D-Backs. I think they're the better team than the Brewers.

The Phillies are the best team in the league, and the Cardinals won't be much trouble for them.

Championship Series:

Tigers 4

OVER

Rays 2

Phillies 4

OVER

D-Backs 1

As much as I like the Diamondbacks (they're my postseason team this year) the Phillies are too good. I could see the D-Backs pulling out one game in the CS, but not the series.

World Series:

Tigers 4

OVER

Phillies 3

Yes, I think the Tigers will pull out a seven game series against the Phillies. Don't ask me why, it's a gut feeling.

spacer.png

Archived