S/WB Yankees forced to home games on the road

BigMac12

Maybe if the Yankees hadn't claimed Chris Carter after the Billy Wagner trade a few years ago, which prevented him from joining the Mets until after the season was over and gave the Yankees no benefit whatsoever, the Mets would have given the OK to Newark. What goes around comes around.

OK, probably not. But good for the Mets. If the situation was reversed, I'm sure the Yanks would have done the same thing.

Probably wanted to let the Mets know how stupid they were to give Wagner to the Red Sox, when they could of gotten a 1st round pick if they kept him. Red Sox turned that pick into Anthony Ranaudo, but the Mets got Chris Carter, for the fews months he was in the organization. The Mets are where they are because of decisions like that.

To be fair, that was the Mets being cheap, not stupid. They weren't going to offer Wagner arbitration and therefore they wouldn't have gotten draft picks, and getting Carter was better than getting nothing (though not by much). But yes, the Mets' stupidity is a big reason why there are where they are (see Bay, Castillo, Ollie, etc).

Frankly, as a live in the S/WB area. This is a long time coming. The stadium is a dump. I loved going to games, but in the last 2 years I think i went to maybe 3. I'd rather have them on the road for 1 year to get them for 20, instead of 1 more year and then see them move. This is a great step for this area. I am excited to see what the renovations will look like. We will finally have a minor-league stadium to go to and not the "mini-vet"

Ugh, so true. That stupid place opened at the exact end of the "concrete multipurpose crap" era of ballparks. A couple years later we got Camden Yards and then that, and the Skydome, and all those awful donuts in Pittsburgh, Philly, Cincinnati, St. Louis, etc., were finally proven to be terrible. If they had just waited a couple years longer they could have build that place in Moosic a million times better.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Did the Yankees make a stink when the Mets were created? Or was the bigger issue stopping the Continental League from starting?

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Did the Yankees make a stink when the Mets were created? Or was the bigger issue stopping the Continental League from starting?

Not really. A second team was going to get put in NYC no matter what. Maybe the Yankees made a bit of fuss behind the scenes, but if they came out publically against an NL team being placed in NYC after both the Dodgers and Giants left, they would have been hung by both the media and the fans. Not only that but there was no way the league's other owners were simply going to hand over what is by far the biggest media market in the US to just one team.

I don't think the Continental League had any chance of ever being a serious league. Just about all it did was force the MLB to expand. Once that happened the CL was over before it even got started.

Not really. A second team was going to get put in NYC no matter what. Maybe the Yankees made a bit of fuss behind the scenes, but if they came out publically against an NL team being placed in NYC after both the Dodgers and Giants left, they would have been hung by both the media and the fans. Not only that but there was no way the league's other owners were simply going to hand over what is by far the biggest media market in the US to just one team.

I don't think the Continental League had any chance of ever being a serious league. Just about all it did was force the MLB to expand. Once that happened the CL was over before it even got started.

MLB immediately announced they were putting a team back in NYC. The Dodgers and Giants went to California as a package deal - MLB wanted West Coast baseball to succeed so they wanted competitive teams, not expansion teams. They needed immediate success. That said, the Mets were almost immediately announced as being a replacement expansion team. Plus, the Giants and Dodgers couldn't get new stadiums from Manhattan or Brooklyn. Queens was super willing though.

As for the stadium, I remember watching that place go up. Poor Lacawana County Stadium (in Moosic County)

I went to my first SWB Yankees game this past summer with relatives. While the current stadium is a dump to watch a game in, the proposed renovations look to be in excess of what the minor league team can support. Which begs the question, will the Yankees pay the $40 million bill for the stadium overhaul or will a portion of that fall on the taxpayers?

I went to my first SWB Yankees game this past summer with relatives. While the current stadium is a dump to watch a game in, the proposed renovations look to be in excess of what the minor league team can support. Which begs the question, will the Yankees pay the $40 million bill for the stadium overhaul or will a portion of that fall on the taxpayers?

$20 Million from the sale of the team to Mandalay Bay from Lackawanna/Luzerne Counties, $20 million for the state

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I think they're used to being in excess of what they need. Their old stadium had a full second deck?

^^ A double suites/press box tower? That's sorta how the Memphis Redbirds got into financial trouble.

Yes exactly. Although the suites and club level go farther down the lines here in Memphis than in that drawing. Also Autzone Park holds around 15K, which provides no incentive to buy tickets in advance. Hopefully Scranton's new park has a smaller capacity.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

I think they're used to being in excess of what they need. Their old stadium had a full second deck?

Not that I'm an expert on their game attendance figures, however, the photos Dexter Morgan posted could be considered a microcosm of how "packed" the upper deck was at their home games.

• 2 weeks later...

I found this on oursportscentral.com on part of their weekly franchise reports...

International League: The New York Yankees have recommended that its Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees affiliate in the Triple-A International League change its team nickname. Two other affiliates of the New York Yankees-the Staten Island Yankees in the short-season Class-A New York-Penn League and the Tampa Yankees in the high Class-A Florida State League-could also be changing names in the future at the request of the parent club.

baltimoreravens.png

I found this on oursportscentral.com on part of their weekly franchise reports...

International League: The New York Yankees have recommended that its Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees affiliate in the Triple-A International League change its team nickname. Two other affiliates of the New York Yankees-the Staten Island Yankees in the short-season Class-A New York-Penn League and the Tampa Yankees in the high Class-A Florida State League-could also be changing names in the future at the request of the parent club.

Didn't they just change the name TO the Yankees from the perfectly good "Red Barons" when the affiliation switch went through a couple of years ago?

*facepalm* :rolleyes:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Two other affiliates of the New York Yankees-the Staten Island Yankees in the short-season Class-A New York-Penn League and the Tampa Yankees in the high Class-A Florida State League-could also be changing names in the future at the request of the parent club.

Interesting. I thought the Baby Bombers were doing pretty well with their ties to the parent club; I certainly see enough SI Yankees gear around town. They're not the merchandising juggernaut that the Brooklyn Cyclones is, but there's no way on Earth they could be.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know if this is official or just informal, but Brian Cashman referred to the team as the "Empire State Yankees" in the Daily News today:

Cashman listed Hector Noesi, David Phelps, Adam Warren and D.J. Mitchell as potential candidates for a spot in the back end of the rotation if he is unable to acquire another arm, although he seemed to rule out the idea of breaking camp with highly-touted Manny Banuelos or Dellin Betances in the rotation.

“Those guys have got exceptional talent,” Cashman said. “I think they’ll need more innings and I think they won’t start the season with the New York Yankees. They’ll be with the Empire State Yankees, our Triple-A team that will be nomadic. We’ll see. We’ll find out where they go from here.”

Archived