Roger Maris anniversary

winghaz

Today (Oct. 1) is the 50th anniversary of Roger Maris hitting his 61st home run, breaking Babe Ruth's record.

This anniversary has received big play here in Fargo, Maris' hometown. The Forum, Fargo's newspaper, besides running a number of stories, ran a poll asking readers if they thought Maris belongs in the Baseball Hall of Fame. Of course, 95 percent said yes (and I agree).

(One of the stories in The Forum was about Tracy Stallard and how Stallard rather enjoys being part of baseball history, considering he gave up Maris' 61st. It's a really interesting story.)

The debate now, of course, is should the record still belong to Maris. I think it should, but I'm a biased North Dakotan. But because all the players who passed Maris allegedly used steroids, should the record go back to Maris? And, for that matter, should the all-time record go back to Hank Aaron?

What are your thoughts about this, or any other thoughts about Maris' 61 in '61?

How does a guy who only had 4 30+ homer seasons belong in the Hall of Fame? He only played 130+ games in five seasons.

Because it's the hall of fame and not the hall of stat-hoarding.

Bring up the numbers if you want, but the fact of the matter is that he held the home run single season record for over 30 years, and many would argue that he still holds it today.

Archived