What Sports Story Would YOU Like To See on the Big Screen?

knnhrvy16

The A's from the early 70s would be a great movie or mini-series topic.

HBO did a documentary about them and the Oakland Raiders of that time period a few years ago.

It was very good. Not as much infighting as you would think. Pretty much everyone on the team wished Charlie Finley would just drop dead making Dick Williams' job extremely easy according to him, because the players were all too pissed off at Finley to notice anything Dick Williams did. Also learned that MC Hammer was the team's bat boy.

I forget the name of it, but I would definately check it out.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This hasn't happened yet, but how about the story of the first active openly-gay player in one of the four major sports? It would probably be like Brokeback Mountain meets 61*.

it was great on Broadway.

Take_Me_Out__Broadway.JPG

Totally forgot about that. It could make a good movie.

The 1924 Washington Senators. Walter Johnson is fading, the fans are leaving their team and they're the joke of the MLB. What do they do? They win one of the best World Series ever, and stun the nation. It was a great story.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

The 1997 Marlins building and dismantling.

I can picture Clint Eastwood cursing out all the rookies in 1998 and telling them they are impersonating a big league team and are pieces of :censored:, and then turning to Todd Zeile and saying "Don't worry Zeile, I'm not talking to you, we'll get you out of here soon enough"

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Doesn't it depend on what you want? A documentary or a picture? An adapted or original screenplay? I do not know if I want fiction just to be released as a movie.

"Moneyball" as a movie was essentially fiction and years later we see that the method does not win a title. "North Dallas Forty" was probably more factual, as was the TV series, "Playmakers". I don't know what I would like to see primarily, but stories surrounding the issues with Barrett Robbins and Stanley Wilson would make me watch.

This hasn't happened yet, but how about the story of the first active openly-gay player in one of the four major sports? It would probably be like Brokeback Mountain meets 61*.

it was great on Broadway.

Take_Me_Out__Broadway.JPG

Totally forgot about that. It could make a good movie.

I'd love to see it adapted. We don't have nearly enough screen musicals these days.

Maybe Baz Luhrmann or Joss Whedon?

Although there were undoubtedly liberties taken, I suspect that "Moneyball" is still closer to real events than "Playmakers" was.

Did you see it? Bad soap opera in helmets.

Wait, you mean star halfbacks don't really make coke deals at halftime?

BB52Big.jpg

Although there were undoubtedly liberties taken, I suspect that "Moneyball" is still closer to real events than "Playmakers" was.

Did you see it? Bad soap opera in helmets.

Wait, you mean star halfbacks don't really make coke deals at halftime?

Well if they play for the Bengals, maybe.

Brett Favre: A Rollercoaster of a Career

Possible alternate titles.

4th and Inches.

Gunslinger!

He Was Just Having Fun.

The A's from the early 70s would be a great movie or mini-series topic.

HBO did a documentary about them and the Oakland Raiders of that time period a few years ago.

It was very good. Not as much infighting as you would think. Pretty much everyone on the team wished Charlie Finley would just drop dead making Dick Williams' job extremely easy according to him, because the players were all too pissed off at Finley to notice anything Dick Williams did. Also learned that MC Hammer was the team's bat boy.

I forget the name of it, but I would definately check it out.

I remember that documentary, but I also forgot the title...I was kinda miffed that they didn't mention the '75 Warriors title team in that piece. Next to Pittsburgh, Oakland was truly a city of champions during the 70s, and no one expected the Warriors to do much of anything that year. It was pretty much Rick Barry near the end of his prime, a rookie Keith (Jamaal) Wilkes, and a bunch of role players.

As far as a movie I want to see made...maybe one on Donald Sterling. He's rags-to-riches story, in that his parents were Russian immigrants that eventually moved to L.A. in the mid-1930 (by way of Chicago), practically worked his way through school, married the boss' daughter, became an attorney and a real estate mogul. Of course, all of that was before he became arguably the most despised owner in the history of professional sports, not to mention his extra-curricular "actitivies" in the years since. Kinda makes a good tragic comedy...

I'd like to see a movie adaptation of "A Civil War" by John Feinstein. It doesn't even have to be the book exactly, just follow cadet and midshipmen football players throughout the year up to the Army-Navy game, then perhaps show a bit of where they are a couple of years later...

I'd like to see a movie adaptation of "A Civil War" by John Feinstein. It doesn't even have to be the book exactly, just follow cadet and midshipmen football players throughout the year up to the Army-Navy game, then perhaps show a bit of where they are a couple of years later...

Isn't HBO working on that?

Archived