What Sports Story Would YOU Like To See on the Big Screen?

knnhrvy16

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, Lights Out sparked an idea for a 30 for 30, but I'll hold off on that until some motion picture ideas

-The 1969 Jets. Mainly focused on Namath's guarantee and whatnot but also go into the dynamics of the AFL-NFL rivalry and the merger that occurred after the fact.

-One other homer pick, either the 69 or 86 Mets as people have brought up earlier

-Something about Super Bowl XXXIV. I think it makes a good story with two relatively underdog teams and the stories of Kurt Warner and Steve McNair. Start from the playoffs and have them go from there to the end of the dramatic Super Bowl.

-While we're at it with great football games, and I know this has been covered in multiple documentaries, but how about "The Greatest Game Ever Played" between the Colts and Giants?

-Hmm, hockey movies. Has a Gordie Howe movie been made? Obviously something with Gretzky would be cool too. As for teams, the Broad Street Bullies, some of the dynasties like the Canadiens, or even the Victoria Cougars, the last non-NHL team to win the Cup

As for a 30 for 30, I think a lacrosse one that would air around Memorial Day would be cool. The only issue is the only story the general public would care about with lacrosse would be the Duke rape scandal. So here's my work around: Focus on Duke and Cornell from a period like from 2005 and ending with Duke's championship in 2010 as they try to break up the monopoly of championships held by Syracuse, Johns Hopkins, Princeton, and Virginia. That way you cover the one topic people who don't know about the sport knows about, but at the same time add a really good story, especially with all the near misses both schools had (and in Cornell's case still have) every Memorial Day weekend it seemed.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Although there were undoubtedly liberties taken, I suspect that "Moneyball" is still closer to real events than "Playmakers" was.

Did you see it? Bad soap opera in helmets.

The NFL didn't exactly like ESPN's production of "Playmakers", which was why ESPN canned it after one season. From the NFL's vantagepoint, "Playmakers" probably hit too close to home.

Wait, you mean star halfbacks don't really make coke deals at halftime?

jamal-anderson-arrested.jpg

Ah, one more that came to mind.

Has anyone else read Outcasts United by Warren St. John? It tells the true story of Luma Mufleh, a Jordanian-American who starts up a youth soccer team in Clarkston, Georgia made up entirely of war zone refugees during the 1990's. It's a really, REALLY neat story and very inspiring. All incoming freshmen that went to Utah State last year were required to read it for the school's Freshman Reading Program, and I'm very glad to have read it. I think that would make for an interesting film. There'd probably be alot of piecing together and "liberties" taken (the book is not a chronological bio-novel, but rather a "recording" of events of sorts), but all in all I think it'd make for a great movie. Luma came to Logan last year to talk to USU freshmen, and hearing her tell the story was really remarkable. It's one that more people ought to know.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Archived