Best Looking Fields in NFL or NCAA

nuordr

Given the NFL's propensity for uniformity (Super Bowl logos etc.), I am surprised there is not a league-wide standard for field designs: Thou shalt have a wordmark in each of thy end zones, set to the left with a helmet image, and to the right with a conference logo. The centre of thy field shall be emblazoned with thy primary logo, and each line of 35 yards (from whence kickoffs shall commence) shall have the heraldry of thine league.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LSU's endzones looked better with the old 70s-style thick lettering.

Here's the LSU font I believe you're talking about. One of my favs as well. I found this concept on another site where it takes the old endzone art with the tigerhead logo from the helmet. That would be a difficult logo to replicate on the field. This endzone art disappeared when LSU started to standardize their font and logos hence why there is the current end zone where the wordmark from the jersey front takes up very little space. Of course there is the issue now of having the modern logo all over the field and stadium, yet the team helmet contains a font and logo used nowhere else in the program.

UFootballFieldFormatCircleHead-vi.jpg

Here's the LSU font I believe you're talking about. One of my favs as well. I found this concept on another site where it takes the old endzone art with the tigerhead logo from the helmet. That would be a difficult logo to replicate on the field. This endzone art disappeared when LSU started to standardize their font and logos hence why there is the current end zone where the wordmark from the jersey front takes up very little space. Of course there is the issue now of having the modern logo all over the field and stadium, yet the team helmet contains a font and logo used nowhere else in the program.

That's indeed the font! Thanks for posting. The eye, instead of the head, always looked cool. The eye with that old font is seriously one of the top-3 fields of all-time, IMO.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

What are those scribbles in the endzones? Is that supposed to be some Aztec pattern? But they're the tigers! Oh, it says LSU!... Wow that's terrible. I can barely read it. Shrink it by about 100 fonts sizes and this would be good.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Given the NFL's propensity for uniformity (Super Bowl logos etc.), I am surprised there is not a league-wide standard for field designs: Thou shalt have a wordmark in each of thy end zones, set to the left with a helmet image, and to the right with a conference logo. The centre of thy field shall be emblazoned with thy primary logo, and each line of 35 yards (from whence kickoffs shall commence) shall have the heraldry of thine league.

Actually, it seems like they're getting closer to that in some ways. The NFL shield, for example, is now on every field in the league. All the teams that didn't already have the shield as part of their field design as of about 5 or 6 years ago now have the tiny one on the 25-yard lines. It was kinda strange in that the mini shields didn't start appearing until week 2 or 3 that year.

Speaking of the shield, a question for those of you who dislike having it at midfield in Carolina: Do you also have a problem with it for the Jets/Giants? If they can swap out the end zones every week, there should be no reason why they couldn't do the same at midfield too, no?

We really saw the dark side of that "ah pledge allegiance to the almighty NFL for making me rich" conceit when Jerry Richardson proved himself to be a boor of the highest order during labor negotiations.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Actually, it seems like they're getting closer to that in some ways. The NFL shield, for example, is now on every field in the league. All the teams that didn't already have the shield as part of their field design as of about 5 or 6 years ago now have the tiny one on the 25-yard lines. It was kinda strange in that the mini shields didn't start appearing until week 2 or 3 that year.

Speaking of the shield, a question for those of you who dislike having it at midfield in Carolina: Do you also have a problem with it for the Jets/Giants? If they can swap out the end zones every week, there should be no reason why they couldn't do the same at midfield too, no?

The original plan was to have Giants/Jets logos swapped out every week, but after Domenik Hixon got hurt during a practice at the new stadium shortly after it opened that idea was scrapped.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010-08-13/sports/27072454_1_fieldturf-logos-g-chris-snee

Giants GM Jerry Reese insisted again that he doesn't think the FieldTurf caused Hixon, Big Blue's best kick returner, to tear his ACL during a practice at the new stadium back in June. But he's walked the field several times since and discussed some concerns with the company that makes the surface.

Since then, Reese said, only one "minor change" has been made. The company replaced the removable Giants and Jets logos in the center of the field because they were creating seams in the surface that worried the Giants. So now there will be a permanent NFL logo at midfield instead.

The Giants and Jets logos will still be on removable trays in each end zone.

I absolutley hate how LSU's field as a number painted on the field at every five yard mark instead of ten. WAAAAAY too busy.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

Autzen+Stadium+New+Mexico+v+Oregon+Ue0hO9T_nqCl.jpg

Yeah, homer pick ^_^

Still though, the alternating shades of green just scream Oregon. Only the Ducks can pull this off. Besides Oregon, I really like LSU's and Boise's fields.

Winnona State also has a great field

winona_state_stadium_3.jpg

Nebraska pull off the multi-color just fine.

PNHUOVHSUCTSTYP.20060912201128.jpg

If they would just go with red endzones and white wordmark "NEBRASKA" in one and "CORNHUSKERS" in the other it would be perfect. Especially once the addition is complete.

4da72b26cf1cf.image.gif

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

Yeah, homer pick ^_^

Still though, the alternating shades of green just scream Oregon. Only the Ducks can pull this off. Besides Oregon, I really like LSU's and Boise's fields.

If they would just go with red endzones and white wordmark "NEBRASKA" in one and "CORNHUSKERS" in the other it would be perfect. Especially once the addition is complete.

4da72b26cf1cf.image.gif

I'm talking more about the shade of green. It's much darker and much more "Oregon-like". It's the perfect field for the team. I think nebraska's would look better with grass.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Yeah, homer pick ^_^

4da72b26cf1cf.image.gif

I'm talking more about the shade of green. It's much darker and much more "Oregon-like". It's the perfect field for the team. I think nebraska's would look better with grass.

I have always wanted them to put grass in. Don't think it will ever happen though.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

I can't find a picture of it, but I used to love it when the Jaguars played around Christmas time... they would put a Santa hat on the Jaguar logo.

The Bears, using the bear head logo, did that a few times as well.

The one NFL end zone design from the last decade or so that I really liked was the Arizona Cardinals using a design based on the Arizona state flag. It was in Sun Devil Stadium, so it's early 2000's or late 1990's. A quick image search didn't find it.

NFL Worst:

Atlanta Falcons - Does it really need to say "Atlanta" in the endzone? Does everyone forget what city they are in?

Washington Redskins - Two angled helmets force the wordmark to be squished. No need for double helmets. It ruins a great wordmark.

Pittsburgh and Miami for previously mentioned reasons.

RE: NFL shields at 25 yard line: I believe the Rams were the first team to do this, and I thought (still think) it was ridiculous because they were so small and in an odd place. Wonder who saw this and said "we should do that too".

I love colored endzones and am thrilled the Bills have it colored.

I love things other than the wordmark in there too. They look too plain with just the team name.

Wonder why more field turf teams do not have colored endzones, or other logos beside the wordmarks.

The Jets and Giants have basically their Super Bowl endzones, which I like. (And I thought you couldn't do, for some reason....)

sig-1.png

best:

Arizona State vs. USC, 2005 (couldn't find a better image, though there are youtube videos available).

81453756.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA5482C24B948DF4BC3D691D34B1F908FD5A0F2494C2D375B1620

worst:

Cal. Font doesn't match anything else the university wears, and while the blue is better than the dark blue helmet and jerseys, it bothers me it doesn't match.

CaliforniaMemorialStadium.jpg

Wonder what the new Cal one will look like when the stadium rebuild is complete.

Archived