Sign in to follow this  
DustDevil61

Existing Team Names being used in Different Sports

I've had this in my head for some time, but I got to thinking--what are some team names in one of the major 4 sports that could work in a separate sport? In other words, what existing or defunct "Big 4" (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL) team name would be able to successfully cross over to another sport?

For example, I feel that Hornets would work well for football, and Rockets would work well for football and hockey. Broncos could work well for basketball. What are your thoughts?

I think 'Bucks' would be a good name in any of the major four sports.

Giants, Jets, Rangers, Panthers and Kings could work well.

Golden State Warriors: New Zealand Warriors

Oakland Raiders: Canberra Raiders

Denver Broncos: Brisbane Broncos

All rugby league teams.

Kings and Knights could work for a NFL team.

Some animals for football:

Hawks, Cougars, Tigers, Leopards.

Aren't the Bengals pretty much the NFL's "Tiger" team?

City related names work for almost any sport, like 49ers and Steelers could be used for almost any team in San Fran/Pittsburgh.

i think most names could work in most sports... exceptions being things like penguins, that seem tailor made for ice.

Of course Denver already has two nicknames recycled from different sports, the Colorado Rockies (MLB/former NHL) and Avalanche (NHL/former MISL).

i think most names could work in most sports... exceptions being things like penguins, that seem tailor made for ice.

This. I like the concept behind the thread though......

Athletics

I dunno, if the NFL and CFL could have teams called the "Eskimos" then even a wintry theme would work for those sports.

For Boston teams, Bruins, Celtics and Patriots could work, but I don't see Red Sox working very well with any other league.

For Boston teams, Bruins, Celtics and Patriots could work, but I don't see Red Sox working very well with any other league.

Yeah, "Sox" in all its incarnations is a baseball convention.

Some animals for football:

Hawks, Cougars, Tigers, Leopards.

Although I love that new avatar of yours DeFrank, I think the only team name you mentioned that isn't represented in someway is the Cougars. I mean, you've got the Sea-hawks, and the Jaguars (basically a leopard-like team), but I would prefer the Cincinnati Tigers more so than the Bengals, simply due to the fact that Paul Brown started out coaching the Massillon Tigers (high school) and you could do some interesting "CT" secondary logos with a concept.

Also, speaking of football names, the Jets seems only appropriate for a basketball or hockey team, not so much so for a football team, and the same could be said about the Dolphins too. Way too weak, even feminine for a football nickname/mascot. Any Given Sunday aside, the Miami Sharks sounds way better, just incorporate the Dolphins color scheme and there you go.