new 2011-12 college basketball uniforms

Bright colors are everywhere right now and that's what Adidas is keying on. Not Nike's yellow. If you'll notice Cincinnati and Louisville are using a super bright almost neon red. Its about bright colors. Adidas just does it somewhat close to the team's color palette instead of something way off.

So neon yellow is close to Baylors color palette but not Oregons???

No you're right...Not sure what I was thinking. The other facts remain, adidas is doing "bright" versions of team color. Nike took that yellow/green color and expanded it into lacrosse and other sports.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not related to the neon discussion but does it bother anyone else that Baylor uses athletic gold for football and athletic gold for basketball? I wish they'd adopt old gold throughout...

The Nike fitted teams wear old gold, while Adidas fitted teams wear athletic gold.

Or it could be the individual team prefers athletic gold? (Kinda like UCLA) Its not like adidas doesn't have "old gold" as a color option...

Here's a rundown of the sports that use team color a lot (I skipped golf and tennis):

Baseball is UA: Athletic Gold

Softball is UA: Old Gold

Track/CC is Nike: Athletic Gold

Football is Nike: Old Gold

Women's Basketball is Nike: Old Gold

Men's Basketball is adidas: Athletic Gold

Women's Soccer is UA: Athletic Gold

Volleyball is Nike: Athletic Gold

So basically...they are a cluster when it comes to colors.

Not related to the neon discussion but does it bother anyone else that Baylor uses athletic gold for football and athletic gold for basketball? I wish they'd adopt old gold throughout...

The Nike fitted teams wear old gold, while Adidas fitted teams wear athletic gold.

Or it could be the individual team prefers athletic gold? (Kinda like UCLA) Its not like adidas doesn't have "old gold" as a color option...

Here's a rundown of the sports that use team color a lot (I skipped golf and tennis):

They should all be wearing athletic gold. Baylor got its colors from "a field of dandelions."

Field_of_Dandelions_700-02912645.jpg

from Paul Lukas: "The worst part, though, is how these ?designs? come off like low-grade Nike knock-offs, from the trend-hopping (gray, Day-Glo, how original!) to the execution. It?s like a pimply-faced freshman trying to dress up like a slick upperclassman and making a fool of himself in the process. Say this much for the Swooshkateers: Their designs may suck and their marketing approach may be loathsome, but at least they maintain a veneer of professionalism. Adidas feels like amateur hour by comparison."

These uniforms look like a guy on the beach in the '90s with a too-tight tanktop and Zubaz shorts. I don't care who they copied or if it was inspired by "high fashion" (always a bad move if you've seen the "trends" they spit out), they look terrible. All 3 of them.

And "postseason" uniforms? Sheesh.

For the record, their identity sheet lists their official color as the yellow, athletic gold.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

from Paul Lukas: "The worst part, though, is how these ?designs? come off like low-grade Nike knock-offs, from the trend-hopping (gray, Day-Glo, how original!) to the execution. It?s like a pimply-faced freshman trying to dress up like a slick upperclassman and making a fool of himself in the process. Say this much for the Swooshkateers: Their designs may suck and their marketing approach may be loathsome, but at least they maintain a veneer of professionalism. Adidas feels like amateur hour by comparison."

That's a bold quote. I'm sure some people would argue that being an :censored: on the internet seems like amateur hour compared to 'real' journalism.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

They should all be wearing athletic gold. Baylor got its colors from "a field of dandelions."

those dandelions look more like floral yellow than athletic gold to me.

mike-rhyner-zubaz.jpg

I guess I was thinking the uni below when I said "tanktop and zubaz," but I love that you swapped out the tanktop for a mesh cutoff. You've found the next big thing. Somebody alert Paris! I'll be anxiously awaiting the 2014-15 mesh tops that are 70 percent lighter than any basketball uniform ever worn.

Another look at the home jerseys:

AnUPUsSCQAAck73.jpg

those dandelions look more like floral yellow than athletic gold to me.

True enough, but:

1) most dandelions I have seem in Texas are closer to athleteic gold

2) Baylor doesn't merit it's own color (especially using 3+ suppliers) so they should go with what is closest (in this case, athletic gold)

mike-rhyner-zubaz.jpg

I guess I was thinking the uni below when I said "tanktop and zubaz," but I love that you swapped out the tanktop for a mesh cutoff. You've found the next big thing. Somebody alert Paris! I'll be anxiously awaiting the 2014-15 mesh tops that are 70 percent lighter than any basketball uniform ever worn.

AnUPUsSCQAAck73.jpg

same exact uni, just different school names. I can't take credit for that picture. I frequent a popular Kentucky blog and they posted the new tournament jersey for louisville a few days ago with that other picture below for comparison. It seems fitting.

mike-rhyner-zubaz.jpg

AnUPUsSCQAAck73.jpg

same exact uni, just different school names. I can't take credit for that picture. I frequent a popular Kentucky blog and they posted the new tournament jersey for louisville a few days ago with that other picture below for comparison. It seems fitting.

Yes, but Kentucky can't cast too many stone about this - they did wear that zubas-ish Apex uniform set back in 1993-1994.

EDIT: While I am a UK fan (but not a rabid one) it took me forever to find any photos of the 1994 Apex uniforms - they seem to have been purged from a lot of photo databases. Here's the cover of a DVD for the "Mardi Gras Miracle" where UK came back from way down to beat LSU in Baton Rouge in Februay:

LSU_1994_DVD.jpg

15 minutes of video at this link:

http://kentuckybasketballforum.com/site/posts/126/on-this-day-in-uk-history/

UK followed that up with the Apex "Icicle" uniforms for the entire 1994-1995 season before settling in to a more conservative Converse set for the first half of 1995-1996 (before the "denim" set that they wore the second half of the season and won the NCAA tourney in).

mike-rhyner-zubaz.jpg

AnUPUsSCQAAck73.jpg

Ah. The Cincy uni just looked tighter to me. Didn't realize they were the same.

At least the shorts in the adidas promo shots don't look like skirts as they did for the Nike SOD launches.

At least the shorts in the adidas promo shots don't look like skirts as they did for the Nike SOD launches.

Did somebody hijack your account or did you get a job with adidas recently?

Archived